why I decided to pursue medicine.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My ADC never notices me.
@leagueofDravenMD Why not start up a League of Legends challenger team. I heard that Riot gives out a nice stipend to LCS teams.
#platforever. A few secondaries asked about hobbies. You know I mentioned nothing of the sort. Thats why I sneaked a clue into my sdn profile to make my mark somewhere it can be made.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
#platforever. A few secondaries asked about hobbies. You know I mentioned nothing of the sort. Thats why I sneaked a clue into my sdn profile to make my mark somewhere it can be made.
There was a master tier elo player on here about a month ago, maybe you can catch him from my post history who only hinted that he could be considered a semi-professional e-sports player. I subtly suggested that he leave it out of his resume, but he could adorn his resume with the following template border.
3HsneVW.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Med Ed @Goro @Lost In Transcription @Lost in Translation what reasons did you get into medicine for?

I was not pre-med in college, and was heading down a different career path when I had a fortuitous encounter with a physician. I took one look at what he was doing and said "That's it, that's what I want to be and that's what I want to do." While I did not actually end up mimicking that particular doctor's career, I found medicine to be a completely fascinating subject, from molecules to epidemiology and everything in between. Whether the adcom took a shine to me or pity on me I will never know, but they gave me a seat and I haven't looked back.

Reactions: 7 users
Is this real tea

I imagine being a physician is a humbling experience.

Last edited:
I was not pre-med in college, and was heading down a different career path when I had a fortuitous encounter with a physician. I took one look at what he was doing and said "That's it, that's what I want to be and that's what I want to do." While I did not actually end up mimicking that particular doctor's career, I found medicine to be a completely fascinating subject, from molecules to epidemiology and everything in between. Whether the adcom took a shine to me or pity on me I will never know, but they gave me a seat and I haven't looked back.

Any regrets so far?

I have a PhD, not MD or DO. I was pre-med for all of ten minutes, and it's a good thing, because after seeing what my students have to go through, this is what medical school would have done to me:

maxresdefault.jpg

I was trained to be a bench scientist like everyone else, but when my faculty job opened up, I found my niche in teaching. I still have a lab, do research, have students, but it's nice not to have to be in the grantsmanship/publish or perish rat race.

@Med Ed @Goro @Lost In Transcription @Lost in Translation what reasons did you get into medicine for? Or do you all regret it at this point? And if by chance your answer in essence summarizes to the often frowned upon short answer of “wanting to help people”, then why can’t applicants answer similarly?

I agree.

It seems that the only thing that should be relevant to ADCOMS for "why medicine" besides a general desire to help people, is the ability of applicants to endure, as you have endured, the debt accrual, years of rigorous training, and career dedication to service work. Something I have not liked about the admissions process is how much emphasis there is on having a unique path and detailed story into medicine.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 4 users
Although the word prestige can have negative connotations I don't believe you are wrong to strive for that as it also equates to a level of accomplishment though it is an arduous task. People climb mountains not so they can look down on others but so they can accomplish a goal. That's what you are trying to do in my opinion, and that's an admirable thing.

I think the cultural difference here is playing a role in the responses to your comments.

Maybe pointing out your past shows your resilience and refusal to give up on your dream. That is an admirable thing.

Medicine isn't a utopia but it does afford benefits.

Anyway I think it might be better to articulate how your past experiences have prepared you for the hard work ahead. You're obviously not someone who just quits when the going gets rough. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I come from a poor immigrant family. Growing up in a major city has been difficult but we have managed. We have beenthrough eviction, bankruptcy, and police harassment. I have been employed since I was 15 and have probably been through more than alot of people by the age of 21.
One main reason I want to become a doctor is because of the prestige. Growing up on the lower side of the food chain has not been fun and I'm chasing my degree because it will raise me to a higher caste level. I'm being completely honest. While this isn't the only reason, it is definitely a big one. Yea helping people is all dandy and nice but let's be real, you can help people in a lot of professions, but at the end of the day, doctors get paid the best for it (or one of the best at least). I truly believe that we are all chasing the same things. As a doctor you have job security (for the most part). There is a certain level of power and prestige (again for the most part). Best of all I can provide for my family who provided for me. The reason I want to be a physician specifically is because I believe that they are the most highly trained, selected for, and powerful (when compared to Nurses and whatnot). A not so traditional answer from a not so traditional applicant. I wonder if I can answer my secondary with this response? @Goro what do you think?

Instead of "power" you could describe the unique position you believe that physicians are in to lead a team (of nurses, mid-levels, etc.). You can discuss the breadth of your hardships and how this will help you to better relate to many different populations experiencing different hardships - many of the hardships you have experienced ultimately lead to health burdens for people, families - you could describe this as a motivating factor for you - to pursue medicine so that you may put yourself in a position that you are able to intervene in a meaningful way that will domino-effect to improve the quality of life of your patients.

You need to play the game man - no school will accept you if you frankly cite prestige and power as your motivator.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should really consider finance. Hardwork would pay more, plus money buys prestige. MBA and pharama exec track would also provide what you a looking for. If you even walk into an interview with intentions like this ADCOMS will sniff it out. Also i dont think you realize the risks in becoming a physician. Reimbursement set by CMS could change overnight coupled with private payers following suite. Also nationalization could drive down salaries and reimbursement and a host of other initiatives like pay for performance. So do it because you love it. Most physicians deal with a lot **** in their everyday lives and spend hours on non science related things like CPOE documentation and administrative burdens. This is not including the pyschosocial stuff one has to deal with. Proceduralists may be happy for the time being but there will be a day of reckoning especially when reimbursement will be limited to evidence based.

Instead of "power" you could describe the unique position you believe that physicians are in to lead a team (of nurses, mid-levels, etc.). You can discuss the breadth of your hardships and how this will help you to better relate to many different populations experiencing different hardships - many of the hardships you have experienced ultimately lead to health burdens for people, families - you could describe this as a motivating factor for you - to pursue medicine so that you may put yourself in a position that you are able to intervene in a meaningful way that will domino-effect to improve the quality of life of your patients.

You need to play the game man - no school will accept you if you frankly cite prestige and power as your motivator.

Your ****ing right. It's not my sole motivator. I love learning and medicine as a trade. Surgeons have a license to cut, pretty useful if you ask me. But I also literally come from nothing. I've been hustling my entire life growing up. Working for every dollar. It would be nice to have some stability I guess. Me saying that money and respect don't matter is a blatant lie, but it's not the sole motivator.

I think you should really consider finance. Hardwork would pay more, plus money buys prestige. MBA and pharama exec track would also provide what you a looking for. If you even walk into an interview with intentions like this ADCOMS will sniff it out. Also i dont think you realize the risks in becoming a physician. Reimbursement set by CMS could change overnight coupled with private payers following suite. Also nationalization could drive down salaries and reimbursement and a host of other initiatives like pay for performance. So do it because you love it. Most physicians deal with a lot **** in their everyday lives and spend hours on non science related things like CPOE documentation and administrative burdens. This is not including the pyschosocial stuff one has to deal with. Proceduralists may be happy for the time being but there will be a day of reckoning especially when reimbursement will be limited to evidence based.

Every profession has its' trials and tribulations. No job is perfect. I'm willing to suffer through it, happily. Its gonna be worth it because I'm going to be proud of myself and what I accomplished.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I come from a poor immigrant family. Growing up in a major city has been difficult but we have managed. We have been through eviction, bankruptcy, and police harassment. I have been employed since I was 15 and have probably been through more than alot of people by the age of 21.
One main reason I want to become a doctor is because of the prestige. Growing up on the lower side of the food chain has not been fun and I'm chasing my degree because it will raise me to a higher caste level. I'm being completely honest. While this isn't the only reason, it is definitely a big one. Yea helping people is all dandy and nice but let's be real, you can help people in a lot of professions, but at the end of the day, doctors get paid the best for it (or one of the best at least). I truly believe that we are all chasing the same things. As a doctor you have job security (for the most part). There is a certain level of power and prestige (again for the most part). Best of all I can provide for my family who provided for me. The reason I want to be a physician specifically is because I believe that they are the most highly trained, selected for, and powerful (when compared to Nurses and whatnot). A not so traditional answer from a not so traditional applicant. I wonder if I can answer my secondary with this response? @Goro what do you think?

Going to medicine for the sake of job security and prestige is an economically irrational decision. The overall financial, emotional, cognitive, and social costs involved in the medical education pathway are too high. This is why it's so important to have a genuine passion in medicine and service to community so that you won't burn out and collapse in medical school.

Honestly, your reasons and desires make you a good candidate in the finance world, such as banking and equities. But even these careers are very high-stress and built on subjectivity. That's really what the professional world is and something to keep in mind.

There is an old saying "don't count your winnings while playing cards", it's what you have in the end that matters. It seems to me prestige and community respect are in the same category. Graduating med school is just the first step in gaining "prestige" the hard part comes in making a significant contribution to your community and earning people's respect over a lifetime of hard work and commitment to their well being.

Going to medicine for the sake of job security and prestige is an economically irrational decision. The overall financial, emotional, cognitive, and social costs involved in the medical education pathway are too high. This is why it's so important to have a genuine passion in medicine and service to community so that you won't burn out and collapse in medical school.

Honestly, your reasons and desires make you a good candidate in the finance world, such as banking and equities. But even these careers are very high-stress and built on subjectivity. That's really what the professional world is and something to keep in mind.

But that **** is boring and I don't get any satisfaction out of it. Science is interesting and constantly changing. Why go into a static career when I have an option at a dynamic one?

Your ****ing right. It's not my sole motivator. I love learning and medicine as a trade. Surgeons have a license to cut, pretty useful if you ask me. But I also literally come from nothing. I've been hustling my entire life growing up. Working for every dollar. It would be nice to have some stability I guess. Me saying that money and respect don't matter is a blatant lie, but it's not the sole motivator.

Medical schools will be turned off by it being any fraction, big or small, of your motivation for a career in medicine. That you've dedicated an entire thread to addressing it suggests to me that it is a larger component of your motivations than you lead on.

Every profession has its' trials and tribulations. No job is perfect. I'm willing to suffer through it, happily. Its gonna be worth it because I'm going to be proud of myself and what I accomplished.

Medical school is unique in that it will drive even the most confident people going in, to question their self-worth. Anyone who says otherwise is either exceptionally gifted or full of s**t completely. Spoiler alert: there's not that many gifted people in medical school - its mostly an even playing field.

Nothing in my post is intended to discourage you. It is meant to provide the dose of realism that you are very much in need of.

Good luck with whichever career path you decide :)

Medical schools will be turned off by it being any fraction, big or small, of your motivation for a career in medicine. That you've dedicated an entire thread to addressing it suggests to me that it is a larger component of your motivations than you lead on.

Medical school is unique in that it will drive even the most confident people going in, to question their self-worth. Anyone who says otherwise is either exceptionally gifted or full of s**t completely. Spoiler alert: there's not that many gifted people in medical school - its mostly an even playing field.

Nothing in my post is intended to discourage you. It is meant to provide the dose of realism that you are very much in need of.

Good luck with whichever career path you decide :)

Medical school it is

How dare you say you want power and prestige! Don't you know humans are all born completely altruistic to the point where we love being exploited and taken advantage of? That's why you should go into to medicine. Let's all continue to keep acting like what we're not. I'm sure it will benefit humanity in the future.
There isn't nearly the sort of power, money, or prestige you think there is at the end of the rabbit hole. That's why we discourage people chasing medicine for such reasons- what they think medicine is and what it actually is are vastly different things.

Reading Dagrimsta1’s first few posts were just as humorous to me as it was to the rest of you, but before I started reading on SDN and learning more about the application process, my answers for why medicine were at heart very similar. I learned to craft real answers using relevant shadowing/clinical volunteering experiences, but things like job security, decent income, and overall respect are still big winners.

Putting myself in Dagrimasta1’s shoes and hearing some of the criticisms from distinguished SDNers was a little disheartening. Everyone is trashing the profession talking about poor compensation, minimal prestige, lack of power, etc. Medicine was even referred to as glorified social work on this thread.

@Med Ed @Goro @Lost In Transcription @Lost in Translation what reasons did you get into medicine for? Or do you all regret it at this point? And if by chance your answer in essence summarizes to the often frowned upon short answer of “wanting to help people”, then why can’t applicants answer similarly?

It seems that the only thing that should be relevant to ADCOMS for "why medicine" besides a general desire to help people, is the ability of applicants to endure, as you have endured, the debt accrual, years of rigorous training, and career dedication to service work. Something I have not liked about the admissions process is how much emphasis there is on having a unique path and detailed story into medicine.
I can't tell you why you should want to go into medicine. Only you can do that. Just know that the reasons that OP is chasing are kind of false assumptions made by those not in the know. If you like paperwork, bureaucracy, suffering, feeling helpless in the face of insurers/patient apathy/hospital management, missing most of the major events your friends are enjoying for 7-10 years of your life, boatloads of debt, shrinking reimbursements, increasing patient loads, and a public that increasingly distrusts you, you might want to consider a career in medicine.

I don't have any regrets though. I enjoy the science of it, I like constantly meeting new people, I like getting to use my brain a bit here and there, and I'm a bit of a masochist that really only feels alive when I'm suffering to some degree. Medicine gives me all of these things, and is worth the headaches for me, personally.

Medical schools will be turned off by it being any fraction, big or small, of your motivation for a career in medicine.
And this my friends is why I won't be surprised when physician's salaries drop to the level of your average 40-hour-per-week job except you'll be working double that. Socialized Healthcare relies on docs' apathy towards their salaries to succeed. Just this thread alone has caused me to seriously consider pursuing pre-dental or medical research. That or I need to take what people say on here with a huge grain of salt.

I can't tell you why you should want to go into medicine. Only you can do that. Just know that the reasons that OP is chasing are kind of false assumptions made by those not in the know. If you like paperwork, bureaucracy, suffering, feeling helpless in the face of insurers/patient apathy/hospital management, missing most of the major events your friends are enjoying for 7-10 years of your life, boatloads of debt, shrinking reimbursements, increasing patient loads, and a public that increasingly distrusts you, you might want to consider a career in medicine.

I don't have any regrets though. I enjoy the science of it, I like constantly meeting new people, I like getting to use my brain a bit here and there, and I'm a bit of a masochist that really only feels alive when I'm suffering to some degree. Medicine gives me all of these things, and is worth the headaches for me, personally.

<3 paperwork & <3 bureacracy

There isn't nearly the sort of power, money, or prestige you think there is at the end of the rabbit hole. That's why we discourage people chasing medicine for such reasons- what they think medicine is and what it actually is are vastly different things.

Ok I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this post but I think it must be said. This is my opinion.

You doctors and PhD's have no idea how lucky you are. For the most part you are financially stable. You ARE educated. You get to use your intellect and expertise of medicine at work. You know what I get to do? Go to the hospital because working with your hands is dangerous. Here's a story for you folks.

I was building a shed with 2 coworkers when the coworker across from me dislocated his shoulder, while helping me lift the side wall of the shed. When he stopped lifting, the entire weight of the shed was supported by my hands. I was holding the wall by the edge as was he, but when he let go, the frame on the edge ripped right through my gloves and into my hand. Blood started flowing and I lost consciousness. I wake up in a hospital just to be informed that we've been fired for incompetence due to our delay building the shed. The ONLY positive thing that came out of this is that I didn't get a scar.
Please don't complain about paperwork and beuracracy. Yes I know it's difficult bring a doctor (no sarcasm) but I rather be working a white collar job sweating about how to help my patients rather than physically exhausting myself to make ends meet.

That being said I'm not chasing the money. I just want to not have to worry about it. I am currently spending about 3 grand= my savings, applying to medical school because I enjoy learning, teaching, and meeting new people, but most importantly, it's a way out of a life I am tired of living. No I'm not gonna commit suicide if I don't get in. Cheers.

P.S. What gets people though Med school is hard work and love for the job. Luckily I have the hard work part down. As for the love for the job, no one has that until having worked it themselves. Shadowing and clinical experience can only teach you so much.

OP, say what you mean but say it differently.
Don't say you want prestige, say you want responsibility.
Don't say you want money, say you want stability.
You don't want to "boss people around" you want to be "in a leadership role".
Get it?

But that **** is boring and I don't get any satisfaction out of it. Science is interesting and constantly changing. Why go into a static career when I have an option at a dynamic one?
Finance is way more interesting than you might think, there are a countless number of financial instrument types. Bonds, Options, Equities, Forex all have a plethora of types of investing, trading, and arbitrage with different underlying philosophies. Depending on the strategy and the firm you practice with it can be as boring with time frames in the decades to exciting where milisecond decisions are made. It is also very dynamic, constantly changing models and methods, new research and propriety trade secrets and methods.

Last edited:
OP, say what you mean but say it differently.
Don't say you want prestige, say you want responsibility.
Don't say you want money, say you want stability.
You don't want to "boss people around" you want to be "in a leadership role".
Get it?

You sir have been by far the most helpful. Lol jk

@Dagrimsta1 Reflect on what you just typed and reconsider how that ties into your own patient care experience. If you've been a patient how does that reflect on how you interact with other patients when you are shadowing at the doctor's office. What can you contribute to medicine or what role can you play from the perspective of being someone whose had a visceral moment like yours working a manual labor job where your health got jeopardized? Think outside of who you are and think about all the other Dagrimsta1's who might need medical attention. It's so boring to see this personal discourse of "poor Dagrimsta1" with little follow up on how it could potentially affect how you see the world and what led you to medicine.

There are lots of other jobs you could take if you just want a reliable pay check at the end of the day. If you don't know what they are then you haven't scrapped long enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your background story is touching, but your reasons for pursuing a career in medicine seem off to me. There are a million easier (and faster) ways to make lots of money and to earn prestige.

Can't believe this delusion is still being pushed around in this forum. Medicine is one of the only field that guarantees and upper middle-class lifestyle so long as one performs academically well. It is one of those very rare fields where you are proportionally rewarded for your hard work and dedication and your success is largely in your control. In most other fields, this is simply not the case anymore especially for someone who comes from an immigrant background and poverty and thus has no family connections or no family friends that are management executives at company X and will get them the job over the individuals who were much better fit on paper for the job than OP. There's simply no comparison. Medicine is one of a handful of fields that will offer OP a ticket out of poverty.

Go re-read Law2Doc's wise post in the other thread where you posted this spittle.

In my state, school teachers get tenure after two years on the job.

Can't believe this delusion is still being pushed around in this forum. Medicine is one of the only field that guarantees and upper middle-class lifestyle so long as one performs academically well. It is one of those very rare fields where you are proportionally rewarded for your hard work and dedication and your success is largely in your control. In most other fields, this is simply not the case anymore especially for someone who comes from an immigrant background and poverty and thus has no family connections or no family friends that are management executives at company X and will get them the job over the individuals who were much better fit on paper for the job than OP. There's simply no comparison. Medicine is one of a handful of fields that will offer OP a ticket out of poverty.

By definition, you cannot move into a different caste. The one you are born in is the one you will die in. You don't get a shot at moving up until your next incarnation.

You aren't going to get a lot of traction with your story. The simple fact of the matter is that those who chase the pot of power, prestige, and income at the end of the rainbow arrive to find it has morphed into years of debt, exhaustion, and liability. If your compulsion to do medicine does not transcend the illusory, worldly aspects of it, you will spend the rest of your professional life miserable.

Wow. This sentence right here is powerful and quoteable.

"If one's compulsion to do medicine does not transcend the illusory, worldly aspects of it, they will surely spend the rest of their professional lives miserable..."

- MedEd

I'm not even being sarcastic. That quote is Google-quality right there.

Last edited:
So I come from a poor immigrant family. Growing up in a major city has been difficult but we have managed. We have been through eviction, bankruptcy, and police harassment. I have been employed since I was 15 and have probably been through more than alot of people by the age of 21.

Please use this because:
1. You say its the truth and you shouldn't lie on an application.
2. You shouldn't be in med school with this motivation and expressing it will be a one way ticket to the reject pile.

A word of advice for you not to mention you patients and coworkers. You will be miserable if you think your future in medicine holds power, authority, and respect. You can't imagine it now but medicine is infinitely less glorious than you imagine. It is a soul sucking experience where patients question your knowledge and even your motivations. Many patients will despise you without giving you a chance just because you wear a white coat. You are a slave to the hospital, government, and insurance companies. They hold all the cards and you have none. All you will hold by the time you graduate is 300,000 dollars in debt.

Cutting this post short. I could write at length about all the ways in which you will not have respect or power but I feel like you won't believe me.

Please use this because:
1. You say its the truth and you shouldn't lie on an application.
2. You shouldn't be in med school with this motivation and expressing it will be a one way ticket to the reject pile.

A word of advice for you not to mention you patients and coworkers. You will be miserable if you think your future in medicine holds power, authority, and respect. You can't imagine it now but medicine is infinitely less glorious than you imagine. It is a soul sucking experience where patients question your knowledge and even your motivations. Many patients will despise you without giving you a chance just because you wear a white coat. You are a slave to the hospital, government, and insurance companies. They hold all the cards and you have none. All you will hold by the time you graduate is 300,000 dollars in debt.

Cutting this post short. I could write at length about all the ways in which you will not have respect or power but I feel like you won't believe me.

Compared to the power I have now, I will be God. LOL
I see first hand the amount of power, authority, and respect being a doctor holds. I work in a PCP's office for christs sake. Do we have patients who hate us? Yeah. Is it hard? Yea. Do insurance regulations make it hard to practice? **** yea. So what?

I care less about what physicians currently have and more about what we could. These policies that limit doctors will likely be changed and I would like to be part of that change. I constantly think of new ways to avoid these issues and better improve the life of both patient and doctor. My medical school career will only help me further learn and understand this system and with that, we can begin to revolutionize the way medicine is practiced.

Point is stop worrying about the problem and focus on fixing it.

Ok I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this post but I think it must be said. This is my opinion.

You doctors and PhD's have no idea how lucky you are. For the most part you are financially stable. You ARE educated. You get to use your intellect and expertise of medicine at work. You know what I get to do? Go to the hospital because working with your hands is dangerous. Here's a story for you folks.

I was building a shed with 2 coworkers when the coworker across from me dislocated his shoulder, while helping me lift the side wall of the shed. When he stopped lifting, the entire weight of the shed was supported by my hands. I was holding the wall by the edge as was he, but when he let go, the frame on the edge ripped right through my gloves and into my hand. Blood started flowing and I lost consciousness. I wake up in a hospital just to be informed that we've been fired for incompetence due to our delay building the shed. The ONLY positive thing that came out of this is that I didn't get a scar.
Please don't complain about paperwork and beuracracy. Yes I know it's difficult bring a doctor (no sarcasm) but I rather be working a white collar job sweating about how to help my patients rather than physically exhausting myself to make ends meet.

That being said I'm not chasing the money. I just want to not have to worry about it. I am currently spending about 3 grand= my savings, applying to medical school because I enjoy learning, teaching, and meeting new people, but most importantly, it's a way out of a life I am tired of living. No I'm not gonna commit suicide if I don't get in. Cheers.

P.S. What gets people though Med school is hard work and love for the job. Luckily I have the hard work part down. As for the love for the job, no one has that until having worked it themselves. Shadowing and clinical experience can only teach you so much.

Totally get where you're coming from, but just because they have relative stability and a white collar job doesn't mean they can't complain about, or warn people of, the downsides of medicine. Working in a PCP office, you've seen many of them. Just because doctors generally aren't working dangerous, manual labor intensive jobs doesn't mean they can't bitch about annoying parts of their jobs.

I don't tell my PhD and MD and nurse friends not to bitch about their jobs even though I've almost cut my finger off, almost burnt up, had guns pointed at me, and literally had a missile explode 10 feet overhead. There are downsides to every job, and people know what they know.

ETA: That said, I think your motivations are legit, you just have to word them right. Stability, intellectual stimulation, and leadership opportunities are great things to strive for.