Why I REALLY recommend Wikipremed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlonghorn2314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

** This post is ESPECIALLY pertinent to those who are writing in 9-10 weeks or later, but can benefit anyone! **

So I want to start off by saying that I in no way represent nor am affiliated with John Wetzel or Wikipremed. If you look at my post history you can probably tell anyway, but yeah. The reason I am making this post is that I wish more than anything that I could rewind time to 10 weeks ago and put a lot more of my emphasis on this gold-mine. I'm hoping someone who is taking the test this year can see this and do what I wish I would have.

Over the past 6 months of me obsessing over the MCAT (3 months of freaking out and frantically searching for the absolute best prep material, followed by 3 months of studying) I have learned a lot.
My biggest regret however has been that I had underestimated the legitimacy of Wikipremed, and unfortunately I know that if I would have followed the course I would be lightyears ahead of where I am today. If I don't get my goal score in a few weeks and need to retake in July or August, I will at least feel confident knowing I now have this resource to really shape me up. Fortunately I have used it just enough for it to make an ENORMOUS impact, especially on my physics understanding...for I didn't learn it well at all in undergrad (we never even covered optics or magnetism :wtf:) . Wikipremed is not only free (unless you want to order hard copies of the flashcards), but I personally believe that it is without a doubt one of the greatest resources that I've encountered in terms of truly mastering each topic. As one of moderators who scored 40+ on the real thing mentioned, Wetzel is one of the few true MCAT experts. Here's a brief breakdown as to why Wikipremed is phenomenal:
  • The physics flashcards are second to none. With about 1000 cards, half of them explaining formulas/concepts/relationships, and half of them as quizzes with thorough, in-depth explanations on the other side. Not only are these 500 extra physics questions, but the questions themselves are well thought out and really make you think. I cannot stress enough the quality of these cards and just how instrumental they can potentially be to anyone , but especially those who truly struggle with physics
  • A well thought-out spiraling-curriculum that introduces the concepts in an order as such that it allows you to really connect ideas, build a solid foundation, and see the big picture in everything.
  • Very helpful visual database of all the important organic chemistry mechanisms
  • Reading comprehension practice. I personally have never seen anyone praise how Wikipremed does verbal, but I am a true fan. It does not replace practice passages, but (especially if your exam is way far away), it is set up for you to really get good at focusing for a long time on boring passages, as well as providing exercises that build your ability to really digest each passage.
  • If you are especially weak in a topic, his videos are slow/long but very helpful. The biggest complaint I've heard is that his video lectures of each topic is long and slow. This is true, but to me this would only be negative if it were long, slow, and not very helpful. John's explanations, however, are incredibly clear and helpful. In physics, after he explains a topic he'll do one or two of the physics flash-questions with you and really explain things. Because the lectures are slow paced, it really requires patience, but to me, it is well-worth it, and you can obviously skip around and what not.
Once again, this is a completely subjective post, and others might have different feelings towards Wikipremed than I've expressed. Overall though, I cannot imagine it to be possible for someone to truly work through the course to its entirety and not have a solid understanding of the concepts needed for the MCAT. I think using this course paired with passages from Berkeley Review, Princeton Review Science Workbook, or Kaplan is a recipe for MCAT demolition. Even if you just use it to "spot-clean" some concepts that are nagging at you...whatever it might be, IMO any time spent on that site is going to be beneficial.

Good luck to all of ya'll, and I hope this helps someone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
** This post is ESPECIALLY pertinent to those who are writing in 9-10 weeks or later, but can benefit anyone! **

So I want to start off by saying that I in no way represent nor am affiliated with John Wetzel or Wikipremed. If you look at my post history you can probably tell anyway, but yeah. The reason I am making this post is that I wish more than anything that I could rewind time to 10 weeks ago and put a lot more of my emphasis on this gold-mine. I'm hoping someone who is taking the test this year can see this and do what I wish I would have.

Over the past 6 months of me obsessing over the MCAT (3 months of freaking out and frantically searching for the absolute best prep material, followed by 3 months of studying) I have learned a lot.
My biggest regret however has been that I had underestimated the legitimacy of Wikipremed, and unfortunately I know that if I would have followed the course I would be lightyears ahead of where I am today. If I don't get my goal score in a few weeks and need to retake in July or August, I will at least feel confident knowing I now have this resource to really shape me up. Fortunately I have used it just enough for it to make an ENORMOUS impact, especially on my physics understanding...for I didn't learn it well at all in undergrad (we never even covered optics or magnetism :wtf:) . Wikipremed is not only free (unless you want to order hard copies of the flashcards), but I personally believe that it is without a doubt one of the greatest resources that I've encountered in terms of truly mastering each topic. As one of moderators who scored 40+ on the real thing mentioned, Wetzel is one of the few true MCAT experts. Here's a brief breakdown as to why Wikipremed is phenomenal:
  • The physics flashcards are second to none. With about 1000 cards, half of them explaining formulas/concepts/relationships, and half of them as quizzes with thorough, in-depth explanations on the other side. Not only are these 500 extra physics questions, but the questions themselves are well thought out and really make you think. I cannot stress enough the quality of these cards and just how instrumental they can potentially be to anyone , but especially those who truly struggle with physics
  • A well thought-out spiraling-curriculum that introduces the concepts in an order as such that it allows you to really connect ideas, build a solid foundation, and see the big picture in everything.
  • Very helpful visual database of all the important organic chemistry mechanisms
  • Reading comprehension practice. I personally have never seen anyone praise how Wikipremed does verbal, but I am a true fan. It does not replace practice passages, but (especially if your exam is way far away), it is set up for you to really get good at focusing for a long time on boring passages, as well as providing exercises that build your ability to really digest each passage.
  • If you are especially weak in a topic, his videos are slow/long but very helpful. The biggest complaint I've heard is that his video lectures of each topic is long and slow. This is true, but to me this would only be negative if it were long, slow, and not very helpful. John's explanations, however, are incredibly clear and helpful. In physics, after he explains a topic he'll do one or two of the physics flash-questions with you and really explain things. Because the lectures are slow paced, it really requires patience, but to me, it is well-worth it, and you can obviously skip around and what not.
Once again, this is a completely subjective post, and others might have different feelings towards Wikipremed than I've expressed. Overall though, I cannot imagine it to be possible for someone to truly work through the course to its entirety and not have a solid understanding of the concepts needed for the MCAT. I think using this course paired with passages from Berkeley Review, Princeton Review Science Workbook, or Kaplan is a recipe for MCAT demolition. Even if you just use it to "spot-clean" some concepts that are nagging at you...whatever it might be, IMO any time spent on that site is going to be beneficial.

Good luck to all of ya'll, and I hope this helps someone :)

I agree with this, the way John teaches his curriculum his exceptional since it is spiralling. The MCAT tests by combining and relating concepts so it is in everyone's best interest to study the same way. And I speed up his videos to 1.5 X and its perfect. Funny thing is that John sounds like he is talking at a normal pace at 1.5X so I imagine he talks really slow normally :p

I agree with this, the way John teaches his curriculum his exceptional since it is spiralling. The MCAT tests by combining and relating concepts so it is in everyone's best interest to study the same way. And I speed up his videos to 1.5 X and its perfect. Funny thing is that John sounds like he is talking at a normal pace at 1.5X so I imagine he talks really slow normally :p

This might be a stupid question, but how do speed his videos up? I know on Chad's they have that icon on the top left, but on Wiki's I don't see any options for it

See this thread to speed up the videos: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/any-way-to-watch-wikipremed-faster.1016886/

You need google chrome as a browser, FVD video download extension for chrome and VLC media player. But to make it easier I just bought the Wikipremed materials from his website (like 40 or 50 bucks, includes everything)which includes a disc that can be played off-line and sped up to any speed you like. Since you are writing so soon this might not be the best option since you need to wait for shipping, however, if you need to rewrite I would recommend you order from him to get the disc/other materials. In the meantime try the downloading method to speed it up.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
See this thread to speed up the videos: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/any-way-to-watch-wikipremed-faster.1016886/

You need google chrome as a browser, FVD video download extension for chrome and VLC media player. But to make it easier I just bought the Wikipremed materials from his website (like 40 or 50 bucks, includes everything)which includes a disc that can be played off-line and sped up to any speed you like. Since you are writing so soon this might not be the best option since you need to wait for shipping, however, if you need to rewrite I would recommend you order from him to get the disc/other materials. In the meantime try the downloading method to speed it up.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I'll typically try to maintain a neutral stand, but I have to say that what I've seen from Wikipremed, and TBH it's just a little, it is an excellent resource. I believe it's the best video resource for reviewing available. Unlike many of the other video learning options, it is MCAT specific in its design and layout. John Wetzel is a fabulous teacher and this is one of those resources just waiting to catch fire in the premedical community. I know it was mentioned that it is a free resource, but if you choose to use it, it would be great if you made a donation of some sort. Like the OP, I have no affiliation with Wikipremed. I just have a great deal of respect for the time and energy that Mr. Wetzel put into the program.

Reactions: 5 users
The Physics Flashcards are AMAZING. I bought the hardcopy, despite being able to get it free on the site, since a) I like physical copies and b) hope he gets a bit of a profit margin from them!

Reactions: 1 user
I'll typically try to maintain a neutral stand, but I have to say that what I've seen from Wikipremed, and TBH it's just a little, it is an excellent resource. I believe it's the best video resource for reviewing available. Unlike many of the other video learning options, it is MCAT specific in its design and layout. John Wetzel is a fabulous teacher and this is one of those resources just waiting to catch fire in the premedical community. I know it was mentioned that it is a free resource, but if you choose to use it, it would be great if you made a donation of some sort. Like the OP, I have no affiliation with Wikipremed. I just have a great deal of respect for the time and energy that Mr. Wetzel put into the program.

I am not surprised to hear this from BerkReviewTeach since both BR and John are similar in the way they teach MCAT intuition and understanding.

Reactions: 1 user
The Physics Flashcards are AMAZING. I bought the hardcopy, despite being able to get it free on the site, since a) I like physical copies and b) hope he gets a bit of a profit margin from them!
Same reason I decided to buy them, although I'll probably never get around to using them, lol. But, I wanted to support him and his website.

Reactions: 1 users

:thumbup::thumbup:

It's hard to express my enthusiasm for it without sounding like I'm getting paid to say it, but I still can't believe that Wikipremed doesn't seem to be an MCAT-prep standby for a lot of pre-meds, especially on SDN. I personally believe it's one of the highest-quality and most underrated resources for MCAT study currently available. John Wetzel is truly an MCAT expert and a fantastic teacher. I bought the physics flashcards to supplement my current physics course and for MCAT studying this summer, but also to support the site because I know I'll be supplementing my entire prep with it!

any advice on how one might create a systematized study plan implementing Wikipremed and a traditional workbook for a full MCAT study prep? (TBR, etc)