Why is Alternative Medicine taught in Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should Alternative Medicine be taught in Med School?

• Yes

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 62.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters
We should absolutely at least be given an introduction to the theories and uses of some alternative medicine treatments. There are quite a few that have growing scientific backing, and so it is wrong and completely ignorant for us to label all of them based on their "snake oil" stereotypes. We become physicians for our patients, not to push our views on them. We must be open minded in our education. After all, many of our current treatments have been derived from what used to be called "alternative."

I have had many opportunities to witness the huge barrier in mistrust between alternative medicine supporters and physicians, strongly contributed by the fact that some physicians IMMEDIATELY dismiss any and all alternative treatments without any knowledge of the current research. That mistrust often weakens the patient's plan of care and often polarizes their already strong attraction to alternative medicine.

I'm not saying we should learn the inside outs of alternative medicine, as none of us are going to med school for the sake of being a naturopathic "doctor." However, we should at the very least be receptive to dissecting current research on some of these treatments and weighing their validity, as LizzyM pointed out, rather than allowing our opinions to immediately dismiss them.

Who is we? If someone wants to try alternative medicine, that's their choice. It's not my responsibility to tell them to do so or avoid it, just to give my opinion if asked

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In general you don't have to advocate for alternative medicine but you should definitely know about it since your patients could be doing it and whatever they're taking could interact with meds you're giving.

We should absolutely at least be given an introduction to the theories and uses of some alternative medicine treatments. There are quite a few that have growing scientific backing, and so it is wrong and completely ignorant for us to label all of them based on their "snake oil" stereotypes.
Where is "scientific backing"? You know, if it worked, it would be called "Medicine" and not "alternative medicine".

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is "scientific backing"? You know, if it worked, it would be called "Medicine" and not "alternative medicine".
I think that it's considered alternative because pharmaceutical companies can't make anything off natural treatments. They are not classified as drugs but as supplements.

If big companies can't make a large profit off natural treatments then who is gonna fund the studies to prove they work? Nobody.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that it's considered alternative because pharmaceutical companies can't make anything off natural treatments. They are not classified as drugs but as supplements.

If big companies can't make a large profit off natural treatments then who is gonna fund the studies to prove they work? Nobody.

The US taxpayers have been provided >$120 million/year through the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, a Center within the NIH.
https://nccih.nih.gov/about/budget/appropriations.htm

Sadly, from the outcomes so far, most of this money has been flushed down the toilet.
Because it's been wasted on inadequate research. Or it's disprove alternative medicine?

Just curious.

Considering the scale of dilution that homeopathy teaches, some people don't realize that it is equivalent to the scale of ~1 atom in the galaxy. You might as well drink plain water to cure your illness - same thing :laugh:

Hahahah!!! That is hilarious!!

Considering the scale of dilution that homeopathy teaches, some people don't realize that it is equivalent to the scale of ~1 atom in the galaxy. You might as well drink plain water to cure your illness - same thing :laugh:

my all-time favorite:

I like this one as well.

Homeopathy has die hard believers and government funding, of course.

Here's the definition per Wiki: a claim that a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people would cure similar symptoms in sick people. :eyebrow: So you know, treat crying eyes w/ red onions!

Not to mention the belief of some of these people. "lunatic” (Lord Winston) in their views as he. “Macular degeneration,” he once told an unimpressed Yvette Cooper, “can be treated by using homeopathic remedies, by herbal remedies and by using acupuncture.” It is one of the joys of the discipline that no disease, not even Ebola, is ever too challenging for homeopaths to admit defeat. Snake venom, apparently."

--Anyhow, nice emphatic "doctors" delivering placebo medicine is harmless I guess (barring actual disease that won't go away on its' own). Also, has anyone considered the impact homeopathic medication has on dehydration? :laugh:

Last edited:
Judgment: Quackery

Detox on the cellular level?

Pre-detox w/ something called Kambo? To quote, "it feels really good." "More acute hearing" etc.

Then Ibogaine? Stops addictive behaviors by working on a physical, psychological, emotional, spiritual, and social patterns level.

Then get high on Ayahusca?

Sounds like some college kids built this.

@CaliforniaDreamer PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS.

Not to mention it all sounds like a giant advertisement. This is too good to be true. If you're suffering from addiction there is feasible options available to you. They aren't quick and glamorous but they can get the job done. I'm sure other SDNers can recommend some to you.

EDIT: Okay I googled some info on it here and here.

It sounds like an hallucinogen that costs $10K per treatment and people are told to get 3-4 of 'em.
You should most definitely not do this.

Last edited:

There is plenty of it. You just need to read. Start with homemademacarrao's links. Id be happy to provide data if not satisfied.

Edit:
I am not advocating for every alternative medicine under the sun. I simply acknowledge that they're not all quackery or snake oil.

Who is we? If someone wants to try alternative medicine, that's their choice. It's not my responsibility to tell them to do so or avoid it, just to give my opinion if asked

"We" refers to all of us current and future practitioners from whom patients will ultimately seek advice about their well-being and health.

I like this one as well.

Homeopathy has die hard believers and government funding, of course.

Here's the definition per Wiki: a claim that a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people would cure similar symptoms in sick people. :eyebrow: So you know, treat crying eyes w/ red onions!

Not to mention the belief of some of these people. "lunatic” (Lord Winston) in their views as he. “Macular degeneration,” he once told an unimpressed Yvette Cooper, “can be treated by using homeopathic remedies, by herbal remedies and by using acupuncture.” It is one of the joys of the discipline that no disease, not even Ebola, is ever too challenging for homeopaths to admit defeat. Snake venom, apparently."

--Anyhow, nice emphatic "doctors" delivering placebo medicine is harmless I guess (barring actual disease that won't go away on its' own). Also, has anyone considered the impact homeopathic medication has on dehydration? :laugh:
Richard Dawkins!!! :) :)
That is a must-watch video!