why is getting in so hard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is getting into med school so hard?!

The worst part: waiting<---means a lot!

+pissed+

Members don't see this ad.

The process is hard because it is meant to be a litmus test between who will make a good doctor and who wouldn't. Doctors are bombarded with work and pressure, and it takes a certain level of determination and persistance to make it through the day with a smile on your face.

I think the fact that it is hard is a good thing because it does patients a greater service to be highly selective of who gets to touch them and who doesn't. Would you want a doctor who couldn't remember anatomical positions under high stress when he needs to operate immediately before the necrotizing fasciitis spreads to other parts of your body?

Members don't see this ad :)
don't forget the angle that getting in is hard because that's the way med schools and those in the med profession want it to be. i mean, you've heard it time and again, lots of people can handle the material, and lots of people can deal with the stress, but there are only so many slots each year... no matter how qualified the talent pool is.

i mean, what makes any one profession hold more prestige or demand a higher salary than any other? ability of those to do the task is part (or desire to do it, i.e. supply and demand), but so is control over how many and who enter the field... maybe not a major part, but to a certain degree

Because doctors will be responsible for the lives of others, and they don't want just anybody in that position.

Actually, it's hard because there are lots of applicants and few spots.

Reactions: 5 users
Someone from another forum has a good quote in their signature:

"Whoever said getting into medical school was the hard part, didn't get in."

I think that is a fair assessment.

Just some food for thought.............applicantions are a minor annoyance...............

Reactions: 1 user
Some perspective will change things. Remember when you were in junior high and thought high school would be hard? And then you took AP classes and thought those were hard. And then you took college classes which might have been easy actually... anyway, you took the MCAT which you thought was a crazy ass test. Now you're applying and that's even harder. But then you will soon learn that medical school is hard. And even now I have m2's telling me m1 is easier. And they haven't even experienced the hell that is m3. And those m3's have it easy compared to the interns. And even those interns go through harder things in life like a personal or family tragedy. etc. etc. etc.

Most people adapt. This will pass and you might wonder what the fuss was about.

true. but i cant leave the bathroom...

"Why is getting in so hard?"
haha. That's what she said.

The real answer is because there are too many damn people.

Members don't see this ad :)
The early 2000's called, they want their thread back.

What the hell were they complaining about!!! Back then a 3.5 and a 30 MCAT would get you into Harvard. Now it barely gets you in anywhere.....

Last edited:
Ah 2003, when a man could walk straight into a doctor's office and get the job be asking in stern, confident voice

Did you really just necrobump a thread from 11 years ago to make a that's what she said joke?
I totally did, i thought no one would have used it since it was 11 years ago.
- i was SHOCKED that it was already used by forensic path.. the office came out in 05'.

lol if it was hard to get in then it's like 50x harder now :mad:

lol, I guess penis jokes in 2000's are still funny now.

It was pretty easy for me to get in. but i guess my Priapism helped, go ahead all you premeds, use google.

He must've been a genius cuz the office wasn't even out then
The Office lifted "thats what she said" off of the movie "wayne's world." You can youtube "wayne's world thats what she said" and it will immediately pop up.

It has nothing to do with "litmus testing" or choosing the right candidates. If less people wanted to go to med school, it would be easier. There's a reason that the difficulty increases every year - because the number of people who apply increases every year. This is just a number's game. You don't have to be the perfect candidate. You just have to be better than 60% of applicants (which is getting harder to do!).

The Office lifted "thats what she said" off of the movie "wayne's world." You can youtube "wayne's world thats what she said" and it will immediately pop up.

sweet i had no idea, thanks for that

Penis jokes are timeless.
Funny that you say that. Did you know that in Greco-Roman times, actors use to chase and hit each other with 5 foot penises.

They even danced around a huge 8 foot penis in performances like it was a may pole (minus the streamers)

It has nothing to do with "litmus testing" or choosing the right candidates. If less people wanted to go to med school, it would be easier. There's a reason that the difficulty increases every year - because the number of people who apply increases every year. This is just a number's game. You don't have to be the perfect candidate. You just have to be better than 60% of applicants (which is getting harder to do!).

Perfect example, pharmacy and law. A decade ago, these two professions (especially pharmacy) were as difficult as medicine to get into. These days, a person with a 2.5, an average PCAT and a dream can still get into pharmacy school.

Getting a job is a whole 'nother story though.

Perfect example, pharmacy and law. A decade ago, these two professions (especially pharmacy) were as difficult as medicine to get into. These days, a person with a 2.5, an average PCAT and a dream can still get into pharmacy school.

Getting a job is a whole 'nother story though.
Naw...2.5? I don't believe that.

What the hell was they complaining about!!! Back then a 3.5 and a 30 MCAT would get you into Harvard. Now it barely gets you in anywhere.....

Exaggeration, but fair point

Harvard has always had high standards.

Guys we're missing the point, @Priapism4tooLong just pulled off the greatest thread revival of all time....Kudos to him.

Last edited: