Why is it when I am bored, its slow?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big Papa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anytime Im bored and surfing SDN I never get any calls, but when I am in the process of doing something important, multiple calls come in! I know everyone else experiences this!

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, all the time... especially when "something important" is eating...

This is canonized in "Murphy's Laws of EMS" somewhere....

EMT036 said:
Yup, all the time... especially when "something important" is eating...

This is canonized in "Murphy's Laws of EMS" somewhere....

There is nothing more important than eating, nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Big Papa said:
There is nothing more important than eating, nothing.

now now, taking a little bathroom break is pretty important too. Just make it 30 seconds b/c you know you will get called as soon as you close the door. lol

lytesnsyrens said:
now now, taking a little bathroom break is pretty important too. Just make it 30 seconds b/c you know you will get called as soon as you close the door. lol

I now sit at work half way throught my 12 hour shift and all we have had is a kid with reactive airway disease. Im looking for a trauma or a scene, but I guess since I am expecting them they are not going to happen. dammit.

Hey Big Papa,
1: All you gotta do is wash the ambulance and reorganize the drug cabinet. 2: If that doen't work, order some food. 3: If that doesn't work, go take a dump. Finally if worse comes to worse and you really want a job, try #4: call your girlfriend and make plans to take her out to dinner and a movie after your tour. Guaranteed all hell will break loose. But be careful, using #4 is liable to cause a bus load of hemophiliacs to crash into a glass truck. Best of Luck and glove up, Xristos Anesti!

ugh...and whenever you want it to be slow you get hammered like I did yesterday.... :thumbdown: Did a peds head trauma... she was xfered out on a vent to a children's hosp. Did an overturn with pin....she'll survive. And of course the assorted multiveh. MVAs and sicks.... :(

it's been 2 12hr shifts since I've gotten a call....but I don't want to say the *q* word yet....

raDiOnut

niko327 said:
Hey Big Papa,
1: All you gotta do is wash the ambulance and reorganize the drug cabinet. 2: If that doen't work, order some food. 3: If that doesn't work, go take a dump. Finally if worse comes to worse and you really want a job, try #4: call your girlfriend and make plans to take her out to dinner and a movie after your tour. Guaranteed all hell will break loose. But be careful, using #4 is liable to cause a bus load of hemophiliacs to crash into a glass truck. Best of Luck and glove up, Xristos Anesti!

Alethos Anesti! 1. My ambulance is a helicopter and I don't think the pilots want me touching it, I have no buisness in the drug cabinet because I am a dispatcher. 2. Ordering food only works sometimes. 3. Taking a dump has never worked for me (but I am sure it will now that I said it.) 4)Calling a girl only works sometimes.

I am in class for my EMT-B so I will be able to share stories with you guys soon. I might even put everything on hold school wise and go for an EMT-P, any advise that you guys could give me on that would be awesome.

Another sure way to get a call if you are a volunteer at home on duty...try spending some "quality" time with your significant other. A little intimacy is sure to make the tones go off.

I am in class for my EMT-B so I will be able to share stories with you guys soon. I might even put everything on hold school wise and go for an EMT-P, any advise that you guys could give me on that would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

Hey Big Pappa, Since you asked I'll give you my 2 cents. Are you in med school/pa school? If you are, or you are starting soon, I wouldn't do the medic thing unless there was some pressing need for it. It can get really distracting to acheiving certain goals. I started as an EMT when I got out of high school and started college (with aspirations of medical school), I found it very distracting because I liked EMS so much. Then due to certain life circumstances I had to drop out of college and go to work, during this time I became a medic for financial reasons. While working in EMS I met alot of students who were doing medic and emt-i/cc courses to "boost their application to med school/PA school" and they got sucked in. Alot of these guys are still working the bus 7-8 years later (some of them just doing BLS). But you gotta do, what you gotta do, you know? If you wanna be a doctor, then do that, EMS will always be there when you finish, but the opportunities to successfully get into professional school may not be. "Kane to sosto pragma, kai me kathesteris!" Good Luck.

Actually I had the opposite experience.... that was the only way to get the tones NOT to go off...

Ya, a call to Domino's is someway wired to dispatch in some shape or form. "Medic 72, post 83. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SYSTEM STATUS BRAVO SIERRA!"