Why MD/MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clairephillips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was just accepted to the MD/MPH program at UTHSCSA today and have a question about it. Specifically, what exactly is the benefit to this program, employment-wise, and is it worth the opportunity cost compared to being active in research? My ultimate goal is to do something with infectious diseases and global health, although it's not a fully formed vision yet. I have searched through a lot of threads about dual programs and still am not certain.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well what were the reasons you applied to the program to begin with?

Reactions: 13 users
My program allows students to concentrate in Global Health, which I'm interested in. It was strongly recommended by current students at my school, and I really want to learn Epidemiology. I have some interest in going to work for the CDC at some point too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Public Health is a very broad field with many career opportunities, which is why it appeals to some MD applicants who want to make a difference in other areas like community health, global health, epidemiology. I think it is a great opportunity to learn about your interests and maybe formulate your visions more. I know that many of the physicians I know that have the extra 3 letters after their name spend some time away from clinical duties to do research/community work/global work. It all depends on your interests.
However, there are cases where you can also do this kind of work without the dual degree. It's definitely not mandatory.

Reactions: 1 user
The Master of Public Health degree is a free-standing professional degree that allows its constituents to practice in a number of different arenas, including Health Policy & Management, Health Education/Behavior, Biostatistics, Environmental Health/Toxicology, Epidemiology, and so on and so forth. Public health careers within and between any of these disciplines varies widely, which makes public health difficult to define so generally outside of explaining its individual parts. The MPH is not terminal, but it can serve as a terminal degree for many (while some choose to continue on to obtain the PhD or DrPH).

When a clinician chooses to pursue a public health degree, s/he typically does so with some goal in mind (e.g., community health programming, etc.). This means that there are some people that go to medical school with the specific goal of being researchers, whether clinical or bench. Some know that they will practice for a few years, but want to work moreso at the administrative level to improve the way that healthcare is delivered. Some just want to practice without incorporation of anything else. Either way, the public health degree is flexible, not finite. Public health is not just about having an additional degree to satisfy one's ego, it is essentially a way of understanding things.

When you consider the traditional medical model, the practice of medicine is focused on the clinical aspects of science. It involves the treatment of each patient on an individual basis. When you consider things from the public health standpoint, you would expand the individual view to one that is population-based, and treatment would instead be a focus on preventing a person from having a disease in the first place (or at least teaching people how to manage their illness so that they prevent further deterioration due to a disease). Thus, having knowledge of public health expands the viewpoint of the clinician to consider things that s/he may not have considered without knowledge of these principles. Each concentration in public health allows for anyone that desires to make an impact on public health to do so in a way that is most productive for them and the most beneficial for the constituents that they serve.

There are many clinicians that practice public health but do not have formal training in it. Public health and medicine were once "one", but made a split inthe earlier half of last century. Now, there is more of an emphasis on public health in medicine. Honestly, it is difficult to imagine medicine without the practice of public health and the understanding that with each patient, there is an opportunity to impact overall community health.

So, to answer your question, the utility of the public health degree is not in actually having the additional letters behind your name, but moreso in the everyday incorporation of public health into your thought processes and practice. Public health is just an adjunct that may allow (not guarantee) you to be a better physician, but medicine is not a necessity as far as strengthening public health - which stands on its own to effect change.

Hope this answers your question.

I'm actually trying to decide if I want to do MD/MPH. I'm thinking the benefit would be going into policy. I'd love to practice for a while and then work for the government or something. But at the same time, I feel like I'm too young to make that decision. Why not just get MD and then MPH later if I still am interested.

I'm actually trying to decide if I want to do MD/MPH. I'm thinking the benefit would be going into policy. I'd love to practice for a while and then work for the government or something. But at the same time, I feel like I'm too young to make that decision. Why not just get MD and then MPH later if I still am interested.
I think once you start practicing, it is very hard to take a break later on to get the MPH. That is not to say that you should/ shouldn't, but while you are in medical school is a good opportunity to get the MPH (as you are allowed to take a fifth year).

I'm in a similar situation, looking at two schools, one regular MD and one MD/MPH. I initially applied because of my interest in global health and epidemiology for research, but after interviewing I am unsure if the MPH is what I really want or if I would benefit from another program,which the other school offers ranked programs. It's tough for sure because the MD/MPH is 4 years so it would save a year tuition which would be nice. I have two weeks to figure it all out I guess!

Similar interests here. I love medicine and want to practice, but am also interested in international health efforts, the UN, humanitarian trips, domestic and international health policy, and human rights. I want the dual MPH to get versed in that side of medicine and help make a lasting contribution to the world.

Reactions: 1 users
I think once you start practicing, it is very hard to take a break later on to get the MPH. That is not to say that you should/ shouldn't, but while you are in medical school is a good opportunity to get the MPH (as you are allowed to take a fifth year).

Disagree. It's actually pretty easy to do it during residency or as a junior faculty, and when you do it this way you get someone else to pay for it.

I think most people who get an MPH before or during medical school will have forgotten darn near everything of use from it by the time they would actually be in a position to apply it.

I also think the utility of an MPH is directly proportional to how well-differentiated and mature your career plans are. A pre-med with a vague interest in global health is not going to get much out of it. A fellow or junior faculty with a specific policy interest and several good research questions in mind will get a lot out of it.

The MPH is also of marginal if any utility for residency applications. They are becoming so common as to be a dime a dozen, and unless an applicant is really able to sell themselves and the MPH fits into their "story" in a meaningful way it doesn't help their application at all.

So for those reasons I think most would be better off waiting.

Reactions: 3 users
@SouthernSurgeon Interesting point, hadn't thought about that. Yeah, as a current premed, I have no idea how permissive residency programs etc are. Also, they pay for it? That's super cool! I might just have to postpone the MPH myself for a while.

I've talked to a mentor with a lot of research experience, high impact pubs, etc. And he echoed exactly what @SouthernSurgeon said re: forgetting most of the important stuff before getting the chance to use it for your own interests.

The caveat he gave is to consider it if it doesn't take an extra year, but to make sure you're comfortable with the opportunity cost of doing so. What he meant by this was that doing the accelerated program might mean giving up a few better rotation locations our elective time etc and this can very quickly make it not worth it.