Why MD, not DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's all about PRESTIGE. People would like to be called MD instead of DO.

By whom? Their patients won't know the difference. People who get doctorates in scientific fields have to specify to lay persons that they aren't medical doctors due to society's stigma that doctor=medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

This thread is *****ic. Very few students know the distinction between DO/MD until they apply. Most students only apply to DO schools if they do not feel confident about their chances of being accepted at a school where they would earn an MD. DOs are less respected than MDs because, on average, the people who attend DO schools are less qualified (in terms of certain metrics, including gpa, MCAT, and ECs) than those who attend MD schools. Simple as that. The education may not be too different at a DO school as compared to an MD school, but the quality of students entering each type of school is significantly lopsided, and thus the connotation of a DO is tainted in the eyes of the medical and premedical community.

Sources for MCAT and GPA discrepancies by school type:
http://www.aacom.org/data/applicantsmatriculants/Documents/2011Matriculantsummary.pdf
https://www.aamc.org/download/161690/data/table17.pdf

Summary:
Allopathic averages (MCAT, GPA): 31.1 and 3.67
Osteopathic averages (MCAT, GPA): 26.51 and 3.50

Additionally, DO students are more likely to fail the USMLE Step 1 and 2 should they elect to take it.
Source: http://www.usmle.org/performance-data/default.aspx#2011_step-1.

I wanted to back up my claim that most students choose DO schools as a last resort in a desperate move to become a doctor at all costs. If that were true, one would expect that of those students who applied to both DO/MD programs and were then accepted by at least one program from both types, most would choose to attend the MD school.

I analyzed data from a 2010 AACOMAS survey: http://www.aacom.org/data/applicantsmatriculants/Documents/2010_Applicant_Survey.pdf.

After some very conservative calculations, the data showed that at least 83% of students accepted at both DO/MD schools chose to attend MD programs. The actual percentage is probably much higher, but regardless this conservative result supports my earlier hypothesis, that most students would prefer to attend an MD program over a DO program if given the chance.

I have attached an excel sheet of the data and my analysis.

Attachments

• MD-DO cross admit data and calculations.xlsx
    11.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
This thread is *****ic. Very few students know the distinction between DO/MD until they apply. Most students only apply to DO schools if they do not feel confident about their chances of being accepted at a school where they would earn an MD. DOs are less respected than MDs because, on average, the people who attend DO schools are less qualified (in terms of certain metrics, including gpa, MCAT, and ECs) than those who attend MD schools. Simple as that. The education may not be too different at a DO school as compared to an MD school, but the quality of students entering each type of school is significantly lopsided, and thus the connotation of a DO is tainted in the eyes of the medical and premedical community.

Sources for MCAT and GPA discrepancies by school type:
http://www.aacom.org/data/applicantsmatriculants/Documents/2011Matriculantsummary.pdf
https://www.aamc.org/download/161690/data/table17.pdf

Summary:
Allopathic averages (MCAT, GPA): 31.1 and 3.67
Osteopathic averages (MCAT, GPA): 26.51 and 3.50

Additionally, DO students are more likely to fail the USMLE Step 1 and 2 should they elect to take it.
Source: http://www.usmle.org/performance-data/default.aspx#2011_step-1.

Not very fair to average the schools because I've noticed a lot of overlap in the quality of the entering students. High tier DO schools have betters stats than many low tier MD schools. Choosing MD just to have the MD title can be a disservice to the student, if they're passing up a better program. Individual schools should be compared and not this MD vs DO debate.

Also DO students are more likely to fail the USMLE, but that's because they are only required to study for the COMLEX. Try taking the GRE and the MCAT back to back when you only focused studying for one exam. The USMLE does make them more competitive, however. I see your statistic as fluff because I would HOPE that those who took the test optionally were more likely to fail than for those who are required to take the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not very fair to average the schools because I've noticed a lot of overlap in the quality of the entering students. High tier DO schools have betters stats than many low tier MD schools. Choosing MD just to have the MD title can be a disservice to the student, if they're passing up a better program. Individual schools should be compared and not this MD vs DO debate.

Also DO students are more likely to fail the USMLE, but that's because they are only required to study for the COMLEX. Try taking the GRE and the MCAT back to back when you only focused studying for one exam. The USMLE does make them more competitive, however. I see your statistic as fluff because I would HOPE that those who took the test optionally were more likely to fail than for those who are required to take the test.

See, I would actually interpret the self-selection of DO students in taking the USMLE Step 1 as a hypothetical boost for better than average performance. If only the subsection of DO students who want to qualify for more competitive residencies take the Step 1, aren't they also more likely to be the best of the best in their respective DO classes? One would think this self-selection process alone would be a significant boost to rates of passing, especially since all US MD students must take the Step 1 regardless of whether or not they want to seek out a competitive residency spot.

Throughout this thread, some DO students have mentioned certain DO schools they would not go to, because of awful classes/rotations. How do they know which schools have that?

I'm not bashing DO, just trying to learn more about it before I apply.

I would also call into question the sentence in bold. I've attached a ranking of all DO and MD schools by LizzyM score, a metric which combines MCAT and GPA into one number correlated with school selectivity. With very few exceptions, the only MD schools DO programs pass in LizzyM score are historic black colleges and Puerto Rican medical schools, both of which have specialized mission statements which would account for their lower scores. The only DO school to fair much better is the University of New England (DO) in Massachusetts. I assume you did not mean to limit your classification of high tier to just one school, however.

Attachments

• Medical School Matriculants Data sorted by LizzyM.xlsx
    87.6 KB · Views: 67
For more of tkim's jackassery on this issue, see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=744802

Must be a sensitive topic for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

strange I haven't run into him yet. Musta had a bad experience on a vacation to mexico or something :shrug:

anyways, nosey mouse, Yes - there is overlap. The total median and mean are still higher for MD. This is just like the discussion I had with tkim - don't try to work around a fact by using technicalities. Different averages with overlap speak to no level about the individual. There is no rule that says the smartest man to ever exist cannot be a DO and had to be an MD. But the range of applicants by normal metrics across the two professions is not equal and the bulk of the distributions between the two have DO behind MD - there are a crap ton of reasons for this, but that is just where the numbers fall.

For more of tkim's jackassery on this issue, see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=744802

Must be a sensitive topic for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I mean, he kind of has a point. Where is the proof an MD can easily, or not, become licensed to practice in foreign countries? Yes, we all have heard our preceptors say it's easy, but how would we do it and where is this information?

We found the info for DO's pretty quickly, just because we can't find the same info for MDs on some sweet colored map doesn't mean we should assume every country will take our MD...

it isnt about ease of being licensed. That thread did make me think of a couple things though.

So, in most places you will have a bitch of a time getting licensed as an IMG, even one with a US degree (like, in going to the UK which allows full practice for both US MD and DO). This isnt country by country, necessarily. As was shown earlier, singapore lists which schools it will accept as valid. We do this too - where we accept some carib degrees as valid and some are banned for license by specific states. The link I have from the UK does the same thing.

What is being discussed here is not ease of licensure. It is ability of licensure. No matter what, a DO will not be allowed to practice anything other than OMM in france. If you want to practice medicine you need to go back and do an MD or an MBBS. Mexico and greenland will not allow DOs to practice any type of healthcare under that degree - there is no license available. So by that account, even if you have to sell your left nut as an MD to get a license overseas, it is still easier (because it is not impossible) to get one than a DO - which brings everything full circle to the original statement made by god knows who by now "MDs have more international recognition". This is a true statement. This true statement will not impact the lives of any of you to any degree, but that doesn't make it not true. The attempts to undermine the validity (not the significance, undermine away....) the VALIDITY of that statement are nothing but butthurt ravings from massive inferiority complexes... I honestly cannot think of any other reason for this to be a hot button issue..... Or maybe certain people lack the cognitive and rational prowess to understand that a statement of "easiER" is not the same as one of "easY" (nobody should feel bad.... lots of people have this issue)

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, he kind of has a point. Where is the proof an MD can easily, or not, become licensed to practice in foreign countries? Yes, we all have heard our preceptors say it's easy, but how would we do it and where is this information?

We found the info for DO's pretty quickly, just because we can't find the same info for MDs on some sweet colored map doesn't mean we should assume every country will take our MD...

my previous post was to you as well (not the really sarcastic parts :)), but i figured I would just quote so things dont get too confusing

I don't think it would be easy. There are a quite few countries that will allow temporary clinical practice for US MDs - some with the accompaniment of local docs and some without. Works that way for dentistry too. You just get a chaperon. This is how they do medical missions and things like that (which is what I was doing when our gov chaperon told me the honduran policies allow medical students to practice rural medicine). As was stated earlier, there are very few (or at least I am unable to locate any) countries who deny US MDs the potential for licensure as there are who deny DOs. Short of compiling a worldwide list, the evidence is pretty clear.... Licensure is possible in mexico, france, greenland, spain, australia at least. That doesn't mean they will just hand licenses out to MDs, but it means that a DO just isnt eligible. Unfortunately antarctica still doesn't recognize us..... YOU WIN THIS ROUND TKIM! :laugh:

it isnt about ease of being licensed. That thread did make me think of a couple things though.

So, in most places you will have a bitch of a time getting licensed as an IMG, even one with a US degree (like, in going to the UK which allows full practice for both US MD and DO). This isnt country by country, necessarily. As was shown earlier, singapore lists which schools it will accept as valid. We do this too - where we accept some carib degrees as valid and some are banned for license by specific states. The link I have from the UK does the same thing.

What is being discussed here is not ease of licensure. It is ability of licensure. No matter what, a DO will not be allowed to practice anything other than OMM in france. If you want to practice medicine you need to go back and do an MD or an MBBS. Mexico and greenland will not allow DOs to practice any type of healthcare under that degree - there is no license available. So by that account, even if you have to sell your left nut as an MD to get a license overseas, it is still easier (because it is not impossible) to get one than a DO - which brings everything full circle to the original statement made by god knows who by now "MDs have more international recognition". This is a true statement. This true statement will not impact the lives of any of you to any degree, but that doesn't make it not true. The attempts to undermine the validity (not the significance, undermine away....) the VALIDITY of that statement are nothing but butthurt ravings from massive inferiority complexes... I honestly cannot think of any other reason for this to be a hot button issue..... Or maybe certain people lack the cognitive and rational prowess to understand that a statement of "easiER" is not the same as one of "easY" (nobody should feel bad.... lots of people have this issue)

All TKIM wants is a link or data saying what countries take the US MD degree and accept it for eventual licensure. Saying "all of them" is not what he is looking for.

edit: I understand what you're saying. The MD degree certainly is more known abroad. But I think that point is kind of... pointless. Very few MD graduates end up practicing abroad permanently, so from a premed perspective, it's not something anyone should decide on taking a DO or MD acceptance over.

All TKIM wants is a link or data saying what countries take the US MD degree and accept it for eventual licensure. Saying "all of them" is not what he is looking for.

that is obvious. However what is less obvious is that he only wants it because he knows what a ridiculous task it would be. He takes the stance of "the statement is entirely false until your provide me with a complete list"..... The statement "all of them" is not really accurate - however "more than there are for DO" is accurate from what I have seen. A list will take more time than I have this afternoon, but I already identified a few countries above which do recognize US MD and do not recognize DO (france allows OMM, but I included them). It is a little childish, asinine, or silly (take your pick) to take a stance where the opponents position is entirely false until he demonstrates it to be entirely infallible. If we want to wax philosophic here - nobody said that no geese are black. We only said that there are more white geese than black geese - so taking a falsifiable approach to that statement is inappropriate. The only remaining question is whether or not he was aware ahead of time that it was the inappropriate retort and did so anyways.

if he decides to come back, I would be interested to know what specialty he is in and if he matched ACGME or not. I feel like his anti-anti-DO rage in on a hair trigger (and that this fact and this question is going to very likely spark it again :laugh:.... but still)

that is obvious. However what is less obvious is that he only wants it because he knows what a ridiculous task it would be. He takes the stance of "the statement is entirely false until your provide me with a complete list"..... The statement "all of them" is not really accurate - however "more than there are for DO" is accurate from what I have seen. A list will take more time than I have this afternoon, but I already identified a few countries above which do recognize US MD and do not recognize DO (france allows OMM, but I included them). It is a little childish, asinine, or silly (take your pick) to take a stance where the opponents position is entirely false until he demonstrates it to be entirely infallible. If we want to wax philosophic here - nobody said that no geese are black. We only said that there are more white geese than black geese - so taking a falsifiable approach to that statement is inappropriate. The only remaining question is whether or not he was aware ahead of time that it was the inappropriate retort and did so anyways.

Come on, I know you're a smart dude/dudette/whatever you are. No one is saying because an easy to read list isn't compiled that it must be impossible. I can't call something false based on very little/no data, why can you call it true on the same evidence presented....

He is just challenging the notion many premeds/medical students have that the MD degree is so loved in other countries. People have no idea if this is true or not based on actual guidelines, they are just carrying on something they heard from word of mouth.

...soo if I want to open an abortion clinic in eastern Zimbabwe, should I like go MD or DO?

I only want answers from pre-meds--particularly pre-meds who have been on SDN for more than 3 years (obviously).

Thx!!!!!!

...soo if I want to open an abortion clinic in eastern Zimbabwe, should I like go MD or DO?

I only want answers from pre-meds--particularly pre-meds who have been on SDN for more than 3 years (obviously).

Thx!!!!!!

you should bring American dollars because that's all the qualifications you need.

Come on, I know you're a smart dude/dudette/whatever you are. No one is saying because an easy to read list isn't compiled that it must be impossible. I can't call something false based on very little/no data, why can you call it true on the same evidence presented....

He is just challenging the notion many premeds/medical students have that the MD degree is so loved in other countries. People have no idea if this is true or not based on actual guidelines, they are just carrying on something they heard from word of mouth.

his oversensitivity on the subject caused him to call into question any sense of greater international recognition. He arbitrarily and artificially tacked on the ideas of "easier" or "so loved" or whatever you would like to call them now. When saying X > Y, we do not need to show that X=Y +1e9000 in order to prove it. Y+1 suffices. That has been reasonably shown in a number of ways including the list he provided from singapore which includes ~25% of US MD schools and ~0% of DO schools anywhere. That, even though he doesnt seem to like it, is a > sort of statement and that is all that is necessary to defend the claim. It isnt easy to become a foreign doc because many places are interested in protecting their own doctors and not squeezing them out by opening the flood gates to IMGs - if only that is what was on the table during the objection. :thumbup:

Throughout this thread, some DO students have mentioned certain DO schools they would not go to, because of awful classes/rotations. How do they know which schools have that?

I'm not bashing DO, just trying to learn more about it before I apply.

Most post their rotation sites on their website. Rocky Vista is probably the most referenced school on SDN due to for-profit status and it's relatively new.

I would also call into question the sentence in bold. I've attached a ranking of all DO and MD schools by LizzyM score, a metric which combines MCAT and GPA into one number correlated with school selectivity. With very few exceptions, the only MD schools DO programs pass in LizzyM score are historic black colleges and Puerto Rican medical schools, both of which have specialized mission statements which would account for their lower scores. The only DO school to fair much better is the University of New England (DO) in Massachusetts. I assume you did not mean to limit your classification of high tier to just one school, however.

Your own data shows that isn't true.... Beyond University of New England, two in particular that I have my eye on (Des Moines University and Midwestern (CCOM)) are shown be in close LizzyM range of (higher or lower) of Rosalind Franklin, SIU, and University of Illinois. As an Illinois resident, it is therefore in my best interest to compare these programs and not just automatically choose M.D. Maybe it's a geographical bias, but the D.O. schools by me are on par with the M.D. and the students I see go into each of these five have similar stats.

Your own data shows that isn't true.... Beyond University of New England, two in particular that I have my eye on (Des Moines University and Midwestern (CCOM)) are shown be in close LizzyM range of (higher or lower) of Rosalind Franklin, SIU, and University of Illinois. As an Illinois resident, it is therefore in my best interest to compare these programs and not just automatically choose M.D. Maybe it's a geographical bias, but the D.O. schools by me are on par with the M.D. and the students I see go into each of these five have similar stats.

You forgot to bold the intro to that sentence: "With very few exceptions..."

Des Moines (the second highest LizzyM score DO school) only has a higher LizzyM score than six non-hbcu/PR MD schools, and Midwestern (the third highest DO school) only has a higher LizzyM score than three. I suppose you could make a halfhearted case that Des Moines is "exceptional," but then you'd still be down to only two DO schools that even come close to competing with MD schools in terms of raw LizzyM scores. You just don't have a strong argument. The facts are the facts.

Des Moines (the second highest LizzyM score DO school) only has a higher LizzyM score than six non-hbcu/PR MD schools, and Midwestern (the third highest DO school) only has a higher LizzyM score than three. I suppose you could make a halfhearted case that Des Moines is "exceptional," but then you'd still be down to only two DO schools that even come close to competing with MD schools in terms of raw LizzyM scores. You just don't have a strong argument. The facts are the facts.

My whole argument is to look at individual schools and not MD vs DO. Put aside the prejudice, and you'll realize you're doing good programs a disservice.

if he decides to come back, I would be interested to know what specialty he is in and if he matched ACGME or not. I feel like his anti-anti-DO rage in on a hair trigger (and that this fact and this question is going to very likely spark it again :laugh:.... but still)

I am not the least bit angry. Believe it or not, it's the truth. Perhaps way back when I would have been hot over this, but now not so much. I ask the question, I get the same responses, I make some points and if anyone considers them, cool.

I matched allo EM. A search of my postings or the forum that I frequent most would tell you this.

As someone who is most likely going to end up at a DO if I can get into any med school, I'm so excited to be working with all of you future prestige-driven MDs. Ultimately yes, its harder as a DO if you want a specialty than it is an MD, but you see terrible MD's and great DO's in life and the reverse is also true. I wish people would just stop making a big deal out of it all and just practice medicine, cure patients, rake in some $$, and find some hot nurses in the down time ;).

Most post their rotation sites on their website. Rocky Vista is probably the most referenced school on SDN due to for-profit status and it's relatively new.

Ok great thank you! I'll check out the sites

I'll probably regret posting on this thread, but my Radiology rotation is pretty dull today. It might be fun to take that dead horse and dissect it. Maybe we can used it to stay warm. Anyone have a lightsaber?

Full disclosure: I'm now a 4th year student at an osteopathic school. I applied to 5 DO schools, received interview invites from all 5 and was accepted everywhere I interviewed. My premed stats made me uber-competitive for all DO schools and average for mid-tier MD schools; the elite MD schools (Ivy, Mayo, high research oriented state schools) would have been impossible with my decent MCAT and lack of undergraduate research. I had exposure to MDs and DOs before I applied, so I was comfortable with both options. I had MD letters and DO letters. I made the strategic decision to apply only to DO schools for personal reasons - location, financial and a greater certainty that my applications would be worth the cost to submit them. I made the decision that was right for me. The points I make below are almost entirely my own opinion and based on my experiences, with the rare exception of links to information.

Should you choose an MD over a DO?
You should make the decision that is right for you. This is honestly difficult to determine as a premed, in the same sense that most premeds have no clue about the reality of a given specialty. You may think you are going to be an ENT, but the odds are that will not happen. I'd suggest cautiously using SDN as a resource, but also speaking to your college's premed advisor, shadowing both MDs and DOs and just being honest with yourself. If your decision on degree type is based solely on ego, that is fine. If it is based on a region you want to live in (i.e. applying to all schools in eastern TN, including ETSU and LMU), that is fine. Don't put too much stock in what anyone says on internet forums, including me. At the end of the day, it is your life and your degree and (probably) your money/debt.

Is the COMLEX a crappy exam?
No. The COMLEX is a different exam. It consists of 400 questions in 8 sections, and it has 3 steps plus the physical exam ("fake patient") portion. In that regard, it is just like the USMLE process. Content is predominantly the same medical information. Differences in content include the addition of osteopathic medicine questions in all 3 steps and the addition of some OMM in 3-4 of the "patients" on the PE. Regarding writing quality, yes, I have personally had some very poorly written questions with ridiculous grammar errors. I recall one on Step 2, and three on Step 1. Some of the questions are more vaguely written than USMLE question stems, but that is the nature of the test. COMLEX-specific question banks more than adequately prepare you for this, and any smart DO student uses a COMLEX-specific bank to study (+/- a USMLE bank).

Do DO students have to take the USMLE to match into allopathic residencies?
This depends on the specialty you are applying to and whether or not you are applying to ACGME spots. The overarching answer is no, you do not have to take the USMLE to match to allopathic spots. Regarding the comments that MD Program Directors do not know what a COMLEX score is, all I have to say is, "Girl, please." They are residency Program Directors and physicians, not high school gym teachers. Each ACGME program makes it's own decision about whether or not to accept a COMLEX score instead of a comparable USMLE score. This differs by specialty and program. As a general rule, the most elite specialties will need a COMLEX and USMLE score; in addition, certain departments will require COMLEX and USMLE even when most other departments in that same specialty will take COMLEX. I'd suggest contacting residency programs of interest and asking, but remember that this policy can change in the future. All DO students must take all the COMLEX exams and pass them to be licensed - period. If a DO student opts to take one or more of the USMLE steps, it is important to prepare for the USMLE properly (it is not the same as the COMLEX) and do well. An applicant to an ACGME program that accepts COMLEX will fare significantly better with a stellar COMLEX than with any COMLEX and a poor USMLE score. Failures on either exam will hurt the applicant. My overall point: it varies by program and by situation.

Do DOs learn and practice EBM?
Yes. We practice medicine in hospitals and clinics with patients. We read journals. We adjust our practice on patients based on reasonable evidence provided in those journals. Both DO residencies and DOs in MD residencies participate in journal clubs. Medicine is Evidenced Based Medicine. My school began teaching us about the proper way to practice EBM on Day One.

Are the preclinical years crappier at DO schools? Are DO students poorly prepared?
No. Crappy students are crappy students. It's medical school. I don't care where you go, you have an infinite amount of information to learn and a finite number of neurons. It's crazy and somewhat stessful, but a good student will learn it. I don't know if the quality of instructors differs, and neither does anyone else unless they attended two different schools. I had 80% excellent teachers and 20% who were not. I imagine that every school has some less awesome instructors, but I have only attended my med school. Regarding preparation, I felt extremely well prepared for boards and rotations. All of my preceptors commented on that, and as they were mostly MDs who also served as MD student preceptors, I took that to mean that I was doing well. :cool:

Do rotations suck more at DO schools?
I think this depends on the school. I can only reasonably speak for my own school and my experiences. I was at a single site for my 3rd year, with the exception of Psych, which was an away. For 4th year, I'm at a single site, with the exception of my audition electives which I have opted to arrange at institutions I'm interested in doing residency at (which is normal for all 4th year students). 90% of my preceptors are MDs. I've had two DO preceptors - one was truly amazing and brilliant, the other seemed to have some kind of personality disorder (craaaaaazy). Neither of the DOs did any OMM at all. My 3rd year site had residents, but my main 4th year site does not. I encountered students on my rotations from 3 other DO schools and 3 MD schools. Among us all, there were very smart students and really stupid students, equally distributed. I learned a lot on all of my rotations, and I do not believe my rotations were in any way sub-par.

OMM...blah, blah, blah,,,chiropractor...blah, blah, blah...
Let me put it this way. I liked OMM labs way more than I liked Nutrition. I'm not likely to use either very much in my residency (going for Psych). My school has a very balanced approach to OMM, and most of the "crunchy granola" stuff was minimal. We had what amounted to a couple hours of cranial lecture in total, while we had about 40-50 hours of lecture and labs devoted to joint exams (which is exactly Sports Med, not some magical aura-sensing thing that premeds think all of OMM is). The thing is, most DOs who want to practice OMM do a fellowship in it (NMM). In the same sense that you cannot perform Surgery on your own after a clerkship, it is well understood that to be proficient at OMM, you need post-graduate training. I thought the labs were fun and liked learning new ideas; I did not buy into some of it, but some people do. That's okay. I think we need a lot more peer reviewed research and EBM applied to that area, but that's a topic for a different sub-forum on SDN. I'm glad I had the chance to check it out. If you really, really, really do not want to learn OMM, please just apply MD. No one will make you use it in the real world if you do not want to do that, but it was really obvious which students were the "applied DO as a backup to MD" ones in lab.

Are research opportunities better at MD schools?
On a whole, I think this is true. There are exceptions, naturally, and there were good options for research at my school, but I find that MD students have easier access and more options. If this is a big priority for you, MD schools are likely better. I have a very odd niche research interest, and there was no good mentor for me at my school; to be fair, my niche is really just a tiny sliver that you need an electron microscope to find, so I would have a hard time finding a solid mentor anywhere. I just put it on hold, focused on med school, and I plan to pick it back up in residency.

Am I limited in international practice rights as a DO?
I will defer to the lovely conversation going on above. There are some good points on both sides in the midst of the, erm, "commentary" surrounding it. If international practice rights are a deal-breaker, maybe MD is a better option. I feel like that is a bit of a silly thing to base your applications on, but to each their own. Keep in mind that MD and DO practice rights shift as country governments change, and if you are particularly interested in an unstable portion of the world, nothing is set in stone.

My family thinks that DOs are inferior to MDs (and similar sentiments)
Family input is more important to some people. Do what is best for you. If you come from a culture that will result in your family thinking less of you for going DO, I'm sorry, and I can understand that being important. However, we are all adults. Make your own decision, as you have to live with it.

The only people in DO schools are those who failed to get into MD schools or who didn't even have the stats to try
I can sum this up by saying :bullcrap:. Yes, there are most certainly students in my class who either failed to get into an MD school in a past application cycle or who applied to DO schools as a backup. It is obvious who they are, and they are not good students. My class has something near 180-185 students, and most of those students fall into one of three categories: (a) DO only applicants with good stats, (b) DO and MD applicants with good stats who picked my school for their own reasons, (c) MD backup/couldn't get into MD school applicants with meh stats. A and B are by far the majority, and C students tend to leave or be held back. DO schools also attract non-traditional applicants like PAs, NPs and EMTs who have been out of school for 5-10 years; they often have somewhat lower MCATs and/or GPAs, but they often score the best on boards and make excellent doctors.

That's pretty much all I have for now. I'd be happy to talk to anyone via PM who has questions about my school in particular or anything else really. Remember, take everything I say with a grain of salt, and the same goes for the thoughts of anyone who posts on internet message boards. ;)

Most recent match information
http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2012.pdf
http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsbystate2012.pdf
http://www.nrmp.org/data/datatables2012.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, this doesnt account for DO students leaving the MD match for the DO match.

If you enter BOTH matches (the DO match occurs first), and you match DO you are automatically withdrawn from the MD match.

Trust me, there arent 30% of all graduating DOs walking around matchless each year.

Sorry for calling you out, (and I am by no means a huge DO route supporter), but it is important that people check their facts. Of all the misconceptions out there involving DOs most are not true, and are just things premeds continue to pass down because of "i read somewhere" or "i heard from someone," without checking the facts.

yea all of the residency match data I have seen seems to conflict with peoples opinion on the internet. All I want is a medical education that will allow me obtain a residency without having to sweet talk anyone at an interview.

Dear Ed,

Just to let you know, I am using my fiancee's user name because I have not yet logged into this network. I am in a very similar situation. I am twenty one years old and having graduated from a competitive prep school with mediocre grades, I managed to get myself admitted to Cornell University. I spent three semesters working full-time toward my BS in human development before my father decided to leave his law practice of 20 years and pursue his dream of being a teacher, along with my mother. When the tuition checks started bouncing, I decided to withdraw and have been working full-time while taking one or two classes at a time. I hope to transfer to a full-time program in or around NYC when "snudgemuffin" gets into medical school there (w/in the next two years). I hope to complete my BS by 2006 and enter medical school immediately after. Who knows, though? It seems a long way off! Meanwhile, I spend much of my time dreaming about and planning for the future. My feeling is, though, that you can never be too old, especially with the way medical schools look at "mature" students in such a positive light. Good luck!

U sure? (Old post... I know) I don't think the match data takes into account withdrawals. It is more likely 30% of those who applied didn't match- but this is a subset of the whole to begin with and will be slightly inflated because of people that didn't match AOA either

I'll probably regret posting on this thread, but my Radiology rotation is pretty dull today. It might be fun to take that dead horse and dissect it. Maybe we can used it to stay warm. Anyone have a lightsaber?

Full disclosure: I'm now a 4th year student at an osteopathic school. I applied to 5 DO schools, received interview invites from all 5 and was accepted everywhere I interviewed. My premed stats made me uber-competitive for all DO schools and average for mid-tier MD schools; the elite MD schools (Ivy, Mayo, high research oriented state schools) would have been impossible with my decent MCAT and lack of undergraduate research. I had exposure to MDs and DOs before I applied, so I was comfortable with both options. I had MD letters and DO letters. I made the strategic decision to apply only to DO schools for personal reasons - location, financial and a greater certainty that my applications would be worth the cost to submit them. I made the decision that was right for me. The points I make below are almost entirely my own opinion and based on my experiences, with the rare exception of links to information.

Should you choose an MD over a DO?
You should make the decision that is right for you. This is honestly difficult to determine as a premed, in the same sense that most premeds have no clue about the reality of a given specialty. You may think you are going to be an ENT, but the odds are that will not happen. I'd suggest cautiously using SDN as a resource, but also speaking to your college's premed advisor, shadowing both MDs and DOs and just being honest with yourself. If your decision on degree type is based solely on ego, that is fine. If it is based on a region you want to live in (i.e. applying to all schools in eastern TN, including ETSU and LMU), that is fine. Don't put too much stock in what anyone says on internet forums, including me. At the end of the day, it is your life and your degree and (probably) your money/debt.

Is the COMLEX a crappy exam?
No. The COMLEX is a different exam. It consists of 400 questions in 8 sections, and it has 3 steps plus the physical exam ("fake patient") portion. In that regard, it is just like the USMLE process. Content is predominantly the same medical information. Differences in content include the addition of osteopathic medicine questions in all 3 steps and the addition of some OMM in 3-4 of the "patients" on the PE. Regarding writing quality, yes, I have personally had some very poorly written questions with ridiculous grammar errors. I recall one on Step 2, and three on Step 1. Some of the questions are more vaguely written than USMLE question stems, but that is the nature of the test. COMLEX-specific question banks more than adequately prepare you for this, and any smart DO student uses a COMLEX-specific bank to study (+/- a USMLE bank).

Do DO students have to take the USMLE to match into allopathic residencies?
This depends on the specialty you are applying to and whether or not you are applying to ACGME spots. The overarching answer is no, you do not have to take the USMLE to match to allopathic spots. Regarding the comments that MD Program Directors do not know what a COMLEX score is, all I have to say is, "Girl, please." They are residency Program Directors and physicians, not high school gym teachers. Each ACGME program makes it's own decision about whether or not to accept a COMLEX score instead of a comparable USMLE score. This differs by specialty and program. As a general rule, the most elite specialties will need a COMLEX and USMLE score; in addition, certain departments will require COMLEX and USMLE even when most other departments in that same specialty will take COMLEX. I'd suggest contacting residency programs of interest and asking, but remember that this policy can change in the future. All DO students must take all the COMLEX exams and pass them to be licensed - period. If a DO student opts to take one or more of the USMLE steps, it is important to prepare for the USMLE properly (it is not the same as the COMLEX) and do well. An applicant to an ACGME program that accepts COMLEX will fare significantly better with a stellar COMLEX than with any COMLEX and a poor USMLE score. Failures on either exam will hurt the applicant. My overall point: it varies by program and by situation.

Do DOs learn and practice EBM?
Yes. We practice medicine in hospitals and clinics with patients. We read journals. We adjust our practice on patients based on reasonable evidence provided in those journals. Both DO residencies and DOs in MD residencies participate in journal clubs. Medicine is Evidenced Based Medicine. My school began teaching us about the proper way to practice EBM on Day One.

Are the preclinical years crappier at DO schools? Are DO students poorly prepared?
No. Crappy students are crappy students. It's medical school. I don't care where you go, you have an infinite amount of information to learn and a finite number of neurons. It's crazy and somewhat stessful, but a good student will learn it. I don't know if the quality of instructors differs, and neither does anyone else unless they attended two different schools. I had 80% excellent teachers and 20% who were not. I imagine that every school has some less awesome instructors, but I have only attended my med school. Regarding preparation, I felt extremely well prepared for boards and rotations. All of my preceptors commented on that, and as they were mostly MDs who also served as MD student preceptors, I took that to mean that I was doing well. :cool:

Do rotations suck more at DO schools?
I think this depends on the school. I can only reasonably speak for my own school and my experiences. I was at a single site for my 3rd year, with the exception of Psych, which was an away. For 4th year, I'm at a single site, with the exception of my audition electives which I have opted to arrange at institutions I'm interested in doing residency at (which is normal for all 4th year students). 90% of my preceptors are MDs. I've had two DO preceptors - one was truly amazing and brilliant, the other seemed to have some kind of personality disorder (craaaaaazy). Neither of the DOs did any OMM at all. My 3rd year site had residents, but my main 4th year site does not. I encountered students on my rotations from 3 other DO schools and 3 MD schools. Among us all, there were very smart students and really stupid students, equally distributed. I learned a lot on all of my rotations, and I do not believe my rotations were in any way sub-par.

OMM...blah, blah, blah,,,chiropractor...blah, blah, blah...
Let me put it this way. I liked OMM labs way more than I liked Nutrition. I'm not likely to use either very much in my residency (going for Psych). My school has a very balanced approach to OMM, and most of the "crunchy granola" stuff was minimal. We had what amounted to a couple hours of cranial lecture in total, while we had about 40-50 hours of lecture and labs devoted to joint exams (which is exactly Sports Med, not some magical aura-sensing thing that premeds think all of OMM is). The thing is, most DOs who want to practice OMM do a fellowship in it (NMM). In the same sense that you cannot perform Surgery on your own after a clerkship, it is well understood that to be proficient at OMM, you need post-graduate training. I thought the labs were fun and liked learning new ideas; I did not buy into some of it, but some people do. That's okay. I think we need a lot more peer reviewed research and EBM applied to that area, but that's a topic for a different sub-forum on SDN. I'm glad I had the chance to check it out. If you really, really, really do not want to learn OMM, please just apply MD. No one will make you use it in the real world if you do not want to do that, but it was really obvious which students were the "applied DO as a backup to MD" ones in lab.

Are research opportunities better at MD schools?
On a whole, I think this is true. There are exceptions, naturally, and there were good options for research at my school, but I find that MD students have easier access and more options. If this is a big priority for you, MD schools are likely better. I have a very odd niche research interest, and there was no good mentor for me at my school; to be fair, my niche is really just a tiny sliver that you need an electron microscope to find, so I would have a hard time finding a solid mentor anywhere. I just put it on hold, focused on med school, and I plan to pick it back up in residency.

Am I limited in international practice rights as a DO?
I will defer to the lovely conversation going on above. There are some good points on both sides in the midst of the, erm, "commentary" surrounding it. If international practice rights are a deal-breaker, maybe MD is a better option. I feel like that is a bit of a silly thing to base your applications on, but to each their own. Keep in mind that MD and DO practice rights shift as country governments change, and if you are particularly interested in an unstable portion of the world, nothing is set in stone.

My family thinks that DOs are inferior to MDs (and similar sentiments)
Family input is more important to some people. Do what is best for you. If you come from a culture that will result in your family thinking less of you for going DO, I'm sorry, and I can understand that being important. However, we are all adults. Make your own decision, as you have to live with it.

The only people in DO schools are those who failed to get into MD schools or who didn't even have the stats to try
I can sum this up by saying :bullcrap:. Yes, there are most certainly students in my class who either failed to get into an MD school in a past application cycle or who applied to DO schools as a backup. It is obvious who they are, and they are not good students. My class has something near 180-185 students, and most of those students fall into one of three categories: (a) DO only applicants with good stats, (b) DO and MD applicants with good stats who picked my school for their own reasons, (c) MD backup/couldn't get into MD school applicants with meh stats. A and B are by far the majority, and C students tend to leave or be held back. DO schools also attract non-traditional applicants like PAs, NPs and EMTs who have been out of school for 5-10 years; they often have somewhat lower MCATs and/or GPAs, but they often score the best on boards and make excellent doctors.

That's pretty much all I have for now. I'd be happy to talk to anyone via PM who has questions about my school in particular or anything else really. Remember, take everything I say with a grain of salt, and the same goes for the thoughts of anyone who posts on internet message boards. ;)

Most recent match information
http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2012.pdf
http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsbystate2012.pdf
http://www.nrmp.org/data/datatables2012.pdf

Great post. Worth a bump so more people can read it who are considering DO schools for their May decisions.

:thumbup:

As someone that is applying MD and DO, this thread is utterly *****ic (except for the great post by Dr. Toaster that was bumped and is just before mine).

The reason I'm applying to both is that I'm older (turning 30), my ultimate goal is to become a doctor (not going to be gunning for rad-onc or derm) and really look forward to helping people (leaving another high income position to go back to med school). I know MD and DO would both meet my ultimate goals and I'd be very happy to attend either.

That said, I can tell you that in the pharm industry there is discrimination between MD and DO (if that is your goal). As stated, more DOs fail the USMLE (not to mention that most take both COMLEX and USMLE... so two tests instead of one). More DOs have a harder time matching into very competitive specialties. These are real concerns for some.

No one should delude themselves by believing there are no differences. There are differences. They are real. They will affect you. Learn about them. The question is what is your ultimate goal and are you willing to accept the trade-offs.

I don't know if I'll ultimately end up at a MD or DO school, but I researched both extensively, examined my future goals and made my decision that they are both viable options for me. Do the same.

This thread is *****ic. [/url]

I came on here expecting to be disgusted by whoever bumped this thread. However, that was a great post Dr. Toaster.

yeah, but seracus has been on a necrobumping roll today. All inflammatory threads about "those" topics.

yeah, ive noticed that... he's the guy who has posted nothing but "great post" like 9 times, right?

I am going to put together a list of countries and practice rights. Interestingly the UK, which uses this list http://avicenna.ku.dk/database/medicine/ only lists a limited number of DO schools but is listed as full practice rights on that wiki map.

I think it's cause the institution needs to apply to be on the database. All US DO should be eligible given their criteria.