Why medicine interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowsnice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it ok to basically summarize my personal statement for my "why medicine" interview answer or do they not want to hear the same thing? Also, typically how long should my response be?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Watch Mad Men.

Let them fill in the pieces if possible

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be good as long as you are honest and your answer is coherent, able to be followed, and has concrete reasons to be a physician, specifically ("I like science" and "I want to help people" are not enough)

You should be good as long as you are honest and your answer is coherent, able to be followed, and has concrete reasons to be a physician, specifically ("I like science" and "I want to help people" are not enough)

Is it ok to basically summarize my personal statement for my "why medicine" interview answer or do they not want to hear the same thing? Also, typically how long should my response be?
Just answer the question

Reactions: 1 users
Is two minutes ok? I'm planning to tell a story about an interaction I've had with a patient.

Is two minutes ok? I'm planning to tell a story about an interaction I've had with a patient.
Two minutes is long.
Does anyone talk for two minutes in a conversation?
If it sounds rehearsed, it's worse

Reactions: 3 users
Two minutes is long.
Does anyone talk for two minutes in a conversation?
If it sounds rehearsed, it's worse

So should I not tell any stories, but instead give an overarching reason for choosing medicine and hope that they ask follow up questions?

I feel like it would sound too vague if I I just said I like to critically think about science but also feel that medicine requires a physician who communicates well and listens to their patients....and I have shown that my personality suites this through x,y,z EC.

Also does this change for a MMI response?

So should I not tell any stories, but instead give an overarching reason for choosing medicine and hope that they ask follow up questions?

I feel like it would sound too vague if I I just said I like to critically think about science but also feel that medicine requires a physician who communicates well and listens to their patients....and I have shown that my personality suits this through x,y,z EC.
This sounds rehearsed...
Just belt out the story in less than a minute and let them follow up.

My answer had nine words in two sentences. I got into every school that I interviewed.

Reactions: 5 users
my mom is asian so she told me I have to.

Reactions: 7 users
This sounds rehearsed...

My answer had nine words in two sentences. I got into every school that I interviewed.

The story is basically how I learned that medicine requires more than just smarts, but an art for connecting with patients and listening to them.
This is what's in my PS.

The story is basically how I learned that medicine requires more than just smarts, but an art for connecting with patients and listening to them.
This is what's in my PS.
Pare it into the smallest number of syllables. Say it with conviction.

Members don't see this ad :)
This sounds rehearsed...

Was this back in the day when you could apply to a few schools with almost no ECs and still get in? lol jk

Last edited:
There's actually a lot of conflicting advice on this. Most of what I've seen says to tell a story rather than just directly state your reasons which should take about 2 minutes
Ideally, the interview should feel like a conversation, not a series of presentations.
If the opening response is short but compelling, the interviewer has the opportunity to follow-up in a direction that interests them.

Ideally, the interview should feel like a conversation, not a series of presentations.
If the opening response is short but compelling, the interviewer has the opportunity to follow-up in a direction that interests them.

Thanks for your responses. Would this also apply for MMI interviews? Or should we keep talking longer for these?

This sounds rehearsed...

06d729ce67a290970eed89be537ccde6af2c169a4f97d75a0d203d71313420e1.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
I mean if they ask the why medicine at an MMI station.
Then it's the same. No one wants to hear a soliloquy.
On the other hand, if the prompt is to talk for 5 minutes on why you applied to medical school, they get what they deserve!

Last edited by a moderator:
At the start of my interviews I will clearly state that I do not wish to be spoken to, I feel that this will allow me more time to tell my interviewer stories that demonstrate how good I am at listening to and conversing with patients.

Okay Sabo.

I agree that ideally it should be a conversation. But from my experience, diving into a story a few times is a great way to keep the conversation going. Just make sure you are engaging the listener while doing so and it will give him material to work off of.

@gyngyn -I've been thinking about this question and how does this sound? "I want to pursue a career in medicine because it is unlike any other field I have experienced." Is this to vague?

@gyngyn -I've been thinking about this question and how does this sound? "I want to pursue a career in medicine because it is unlike any other field I have experienced." Is this to vague?
It doesn't say anything...
It sounds rehearsed.
Talk like you would in real life.

Reactions: 3 users
My PI who recently finished his fellowship said to limit all your responses to 2 sentences (he went to top 20 med schools for undergrad, med, residency and fellowship).

In my experiences with him and other physicians (although I haven't officially shadowed much) is that they like you to talk as succinctly as possible. I think most interviewers are MDs right?

Last edited:
Imagine meeting someone for the first time and they immediately said, "Now let me tell you a story..."

If it's anyone other than the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, I've tuned out by time they've taken their second breath.

Imagine meeting someone for the first time and they immediately said, "Now let me tell you a story..."

If it's anyone other than the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, I've tuned out by time they've taken their second breath.
Then why the hatred for the "I love medicine" Especially if you can back up that statement?

Then why the hatred for the "I love medicine" Especially if you can back up that statement?

No hatred, in my opinion it's more effective to explain your "I love medicine" without potentially digressing from your key points. In my opinion, one needs to manage the impression they make in an interview, using a story to answer the one of the most important questions may leave room for uncontrolled interpretation.

No hatred, in my opinion it's more effective to explain your "I love medicine" without potentially digressing from your key points. In my opinion, one needs to manage the impression they make in an interview, using a story to answer the one of the most important questions may leave room for uncontrolled interpretation.
There have been many interviews where this question has come up as an afterthought on behalf of the interviewer. It is difficult to assess the impact i could make in 10 seconds without sounding stupid or talking like a maniac.

That's not exactly how MMIs work though... They are definitely not conversations.

That's not exactly how MMIs work though... They are definitely not conversations.
MMI's consist of me babbling like an idiot trying to read body language of the interviewers to see if they are content with any word I have said so far.

Reactions: 2 users
MMI's consist of me babbling like an idiot trying to read body language of the interviewers to see if they are content with any word I have said so far.
And they're never content. I've heard that they literally tell some interviewers to keep a stern face the entire time haha.

And there never content. I've heard that they literally tell some interviewers to keep a stern face the entire time haha.
I know, but some people cant help it. THey are not trained very well. Some people unknowingly nod, others smile, others let out an audible "Yes" . The ones you cant read are the most difficult.

What would you say if your friend or mother asked you? Just say that in a slightly more professional tone.

Wish our dimension had cutie marks so I could just point at my flank for this one.

It perplexes me that this is a perplexing interview question