why on earth do you need a DO Lor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemorrage

Ambrose
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get the general consensus from reading threads here that its in one's best interest to obtain a DO Lor. Problem is, where i live and study, theres about 5 DO's in a 20 mile radius.. and i haven't been able to get a shadowing opportunity with any of them. So that begs the question, isnt this unfair to students who are interested in DO schools but yet can't find a decent DO to write a letter for them?

Members don't see this ad.

I get the general consensus from reading threads here that its in one's best interest to obtain a DO Lor. Problem is, where i live and study, theres about 5 DO's in a 20 mile radius.. and i haven't been able to get a shadowing opportunity with any of them. So that begs the question, isnt this unfair to students who are interested in DO schools but yet can't find a decent DO to write a letter for them?

There a thousands of applicants who seem to find a way to meet/shadow/obtain LORs from DOs. If youre really interested in osteopathic medicine it shouldnt be an inconvenience because you may be doing this for the rest of your life.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

man, I wish I can find a picture of someone jumping through a hoop.
It is part of the process, some schools take md letter just so you know. You have to check with the schools you are planning on applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
man, I wish I can find a picture of someone jumping through a hoop.
It is part of the process, some schools take md letter just so you know. You have to check with the schools you are planning on applying to.

jump_through_hoop.jpg

I honestly think getting a DO letter is kind of silly... especially these days when the allopathic and osteopathic philosophies overlap almost completely. However, tradition is tradition.

What I'm getting at is: if allo and osteopathic medicine are practically the same thing, why should an MD letter differ from a DO letter? After all they are both physicians?

What I'm getting at is: if allo and osteopathic medicine are practically the same thing, why should an MD letter differ from a DO letter? After all they are both physicians?

Unless an MD has taken extra courses for OMM, DOs are going to be the ones showing you the ropes of OMM as they use it in their practice.

My personal opinion is that if you can find a DO to shadow and get a letter from them, get it. It will show your interested enough to find one to shadow and it will also give you something positive to talk about during interviews. Always helps to tell your interviewer that you've experienced it for yourself and won't be completely surprised once you're in OMM lab.

If you're having trouble locating a DO in your area, here is a website that may be of use.

Some schools will take an MD letter instead of a DO. Some schools don't need a letter from a physician. I never got a physician's LOR and I was accepted. It all depends on the school

Some schools will take an MD letter instead of a DO. Some schools don't need a letter from a physician. I never got a physician's LOR and I was accepted. It all depends on the school

Also true. Congrats on your acceptance by the way.

I had no difficulty with getting into schools that recommended a DO LOR while only having MD LOR's.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think about it most LORs are pointless. I don't know a single good applicant who didn't at least know that the LORs would be good ones. I mean you can gauge a writers response to asking them as to whether or not you will send it on. So while the LOR might be someones honest opinion about you, it is still probably a positive one or else I wouldn't send it.

If it makes you feel any better I have to enter into a whole other country from the one I currently reside in in order to do it :/

I didn't have one and application was fine w/o it. You just have to be on point once in the interview so the interviewer is aware of your knowledge and passion for DO.

Having a LOR from DOs really shows you are serious about your application.
To make you feel better, there are only totally 3 D.O.s in my home province (Ontario, Canada) and there are only 13 D.O.s in the whole country of Canada. Yeah, I had to travel more than 50 miles to another city to get my shadow experience. Yeah, that's how serious I am.
So, I think you definitely can do it. Good luck, buddy.

Having a LOR from DOs really shows you are serious about your application.
To make you feel better, there are only totally 3 D.O.s in my home province (Ontario, Canada) and there are only 13 D.O.s in the whole country of Canada. Yeah, I had to travel more than 50 miles to another city to get my shadow experience. Yeah, that's how serious I am.
So, I think you definitely can do it. Good luck, buddy.

Is that true (the numbers). Cause that's shocking given how many Canadians i know in DO schools. If I personally know 5....not that 13 couldn't be a real .... just that it's very surprising

I mean there are only 13 D.O.s who are currently practising medicine in Canada.
Of course there are more Canadians D.O.s who finished medical training and who are currently studying in D.O. schools. But unfortunately, so far most of them have chosen to stay in states after that.

FYI, the policies of Canadian medical system are very conservative, and make up a lot of hurdles for D.O.s to jump if they want to come back to practice. D.O's voice is so weak here in Canada. And we are trying to change that.

I agree with the consensus that this is a hoop to jump through on the road to getting into Medical School. LORs do have a point, imho, as they can help delineate a student's true potential and their abilities. That being said, listen to frky and don't apply to schools requiring a DO letter instead target those that are willing to accept either form of a letter. Good luck.

As I have mentioned many times, there is no requirement to shadow a doctor to get a letter. All you need is a letter that says he or she thinks you will make a fine osteopathic student. There are a lot of docs that don't have the time to have you shadow, but may be willing to meet with you over lunch or talk over the phone or even just email. Remember, most I them had to go through the same thing already. As for just not applying to schools that take only DO letters... Just sounds silly to me. It only takes a little effort really. Yes, it's a formality, but it makes you look better in my book if you have at least made the effort and spent some time talking to a DO before applying to go to a DO school.

There a thousands of applicants who seem to find a way to meet/shadow/obtain LORs from DOs. If youre really interested in osteopathic medicine it shouldnt be an inconvenience because you may be doing this for the rest of your life.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I completely agree. it isn't impossible and if you're genuinely interested, perhaps it shouldn't be an inconvenience.

You're going to spend the next 50 years being an osteopath...don't you think it's a good idea to directly see what they do? Would you buy a test new car without driving it?

You're going to spend the next 50 years being an osteopath...don't you think it's a good idea to directly see what they do? Would you buy a test new car without driving it?

Considering most DOs practice EXACTLY the same as MDs, I don't see the point. Also "osteopath" is an incorrect and outdated term.

Considering most DOs practice EXACTLY the same as MDs, I don't see the point. Also "osteopath" is an incorrect and outdated term.

My shadowing D.O. practices exactly the same as the MDs who I volunteered with. The D.O. told me now she only utilizes OMM on her family members occasionally. And she said except OMM, the philosophy of DOs and MDs are becoming almost indistinguishable. I guess the schools which require a D.O's LOR really want their applicants have a clear idea about OMM.

However, the confusion continues, even in USA's neighbour Canada, many osteopath manual practitioners seem trying to cause this confusion for their business purpose. I have seen so many such manual practitioners openly call themselves D.O. as their title, and claim they practise osteopathic medicine, which makes the genuine osteopathic medical students and physicians angry.

It seems both AOA and COA have a long way to go to educate public what is really osteopathic medicine and osteopathic physician.