Why optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_fella

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound condescending or like I'm trolling, but can someone tell me why you chose optometry over MD/DO with a specialty in opthalmology?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't mean to sound condescending or like I'm trolling, but can someone tell me why you chose optometry over MD/DO with a specialty in opthalmology?

For some, it's to avoid doing surgery. I will never do ocular surgery or open someone's ocular globe.

Members don't see this ad :)

thats assuming you would even be accepted into optho

Reactions: 1 user
Years of schooling. Malpractice insurance. Stress of surgeries (very early mornings). Being near the top 10% of your class so you have a shot in getting into the specialty.

Most importantly, being able to spell ophthalmology correctly

Reactions: 1 users
I meant no disrespect qwerty89, one of my best friends was just accepted into optometry school.

Slicing people open all day is not something I would consider enjoyable...

Just a thought, but not many people are as personally exposed to ophthalmology as they are with optometry. My first eye exam was with an optometrist and it left a favorable impression on me. Later looking further into the field, as a woman I liked the aspect of being able to have a family as an optometrist and it seemed a lot less stressful and time-consuming than pursuing ophthalmology (which I was never interested in anyway)-- not all doctors are surgeons. I later did shadow a MD for cataract surgery during one of my optometry externships and I happened to ask him how he got interested in ophthalmology, again knowing it's probably not something he had been exposed to at a younger age-- and he said he made the decision while in medical school. It's up to you which fits the bill of what you are looking for. Hope this helps

Like others have said, I'm not one for the surgery aspect of it. Not to say that optometry school will be a walk in the park, but I definitely feel that it will be less taxing than med school. Not to mention the malpractice insurance and the hours. As a female, the flexibility in my work schedule that optometry allows is one of the biggest selling points for when it comes to having a family down the road, as well!