Why Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vagrant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all!
I'm pretty new to the forum and actually pretty new to the pre-optometry community as well. It's really awesome to see so many people with similar interests. I'm curious to know what made you guys want to pursue optometry. I'll start off. For me it was a few reasons.

I've worn glasses for as long as I can remember and have a few different eye issues. Although my conditions are easily fixed, I've always felt a little sorry for myself for having to wear glasses and a little envious of those who don't. My doctor has also been quite an inspiration. I've had an amazing ophthalmologist for most of my life. Unfortunately for me (prob not for her), she's now retired and I've lost her. But anyways, I graduated from college this past May with a degree in biology. Through most of college, I worked as a teller at a bank and had many opportunities to move up but didn't due to school. I really enjoyed the coursework I did and although I was unsure how the degree would benefit me, I went on with it. I didn't think about switching over to a major that was more banking related because I didn't think I needed to. The bank I worked at provided all kinds of awesome online training and I would spend my down time doing that.

This past summer, I had one of the most amazing cultural and life experiences. My family moved here from Pakistan almost 15 years ago. I remembered almost nothing about the country or my extended family there. Long story short, it was a month full of traditional culture, amazing food (even if it did upset my stomach almost daily), and an amazing family I didn't even know I had. Among them was a neighbor and friend of my late grandmother. She lives in a very small village which often experiences long power outages. We visited the village and spent a few days there. I met her the first day and greeted the sweet old woman as a grandmotherly figure. The following day, she greeted me again and kissed me and asked for me to come sit by her since she hadn't seen me in so long. Confused, I responded with something like "Ma, you saw us yesterday, remember?" I assumed she was just forgetting, understandable, considering her age. Her reply shook me and brought tears to my eyes. "I met you yesterday, but I didn't see you." As I looked back at her, I noticed several cloudy spots in her eyes that I'd somehow missed before. Here I was, sitting under a clear dark and star filled sky beside a woman who hadn't seen me in 15 years and couldn't see me now. I remember being thankful for the power outage that hid my tears from everyone else. I cried as pangs of guilt hit me in my gut. I'd actually felt sorry for myself because I wore glasses?! Because I had the money and the means to be treated?! I cried because she'd lived her years this way and accepted it. I cried because I knew that given her circumstances, she wouldn't be able to see a doctor or be treated for her cataracts. And I cried because I couldn't help her.
So here I am now, back in the states, back to my very privileged life. I can't think of anything that I care about more than helping people with their visual health. I also would love to get into vision therapy as an alternative to visual aids for kids like myself who hate glasses.

Your turn. I can't wait to read your responses and get to know you guys better. Sorry for the long read!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all!
I'm pretty new to the forum and actually pretty new to the pre-optometry community as well. It's really awesome to see so many people with similar interests. I'm curious to know what made you guys want to pursue optometry. I'll start off. For me it was a few reasons.

I've worn glasses for as long as I can remember and have a few different eye issues. Although my conditions are easily fixed, I've always felt a little sorry for myself for having to wear glasses and a little envious of those who don't. My doctor has also been quite an inspiration. I've had an amazing ophthalmologist for most of my life. Unfortunately for me (prob not for her), she's now retired and I've lost her. But anyways, I graduated from college this past May with a degree in biology. Through most of college, I worked as a teller at a bank and had many opportunities to move up but didn't due to school. I really enjoyed the coursework I did and although I was unsure how the degree would benefit me, I went on with it. I didn't think about switching over to a major that was more banking related because I didn't think I needed to. The bank I worked at provided all kinds of awesome online training and I would spend my down time doing that.

This past summer, I had one of the most amazing cultural and life experiences. My family moved here from Pakistan almost 15 years ago. I remembered almost nothing about the country or my extended family there. Long story short, it was a month full of traditional culture, amazing food (even if it did upset my stomach almost daily), and an amazing family I didn't even know I had. Among them was a neighbor and friend of my late grandmother. She lives in a very small village which often experiences long power outages. We visited the village and spent a few days there. I met her the first day and greeted the sweet old woman as a grandmotherly figure. The following day, she greeted me again and kissed me and asked for me to come sit by her since she hadn't seen me in so long. Confused, I responded with something like "Ma, you saw us yesterday, remember?" I assumed she was just forgetting, understandable, considering her age. Her reply shook me and brought tears to my eyes. "I met you yesterday, but I didn't see you." As I looked back at her, I noticed several cloudy spots in her eyes that I'd somehow missed before. Here I was, sitting under a clear dark and star filled sky beside a woman who hadn't seen me in 15 years and couldn't see me now. I remember being thankful for the power outage that hid my tears from everyone else. I cried as pangs of guilt hit me in my gut. I'd actually felt sorry for myself because I wore glasses?! Because I had the money and the means to be treated?! I cried because she'd lived her years this way and accepted it. I cried because I knew that given her circumstances, she wouldn't be able to see a doctor or be treated for her cataracts. And I cried because I couldn't help her.
So here I am now, back in the states, back to my very privileged life. I can't think of anything that I care about more than helping people with their visual health. I also would love to get into vision therapy as an alternative to visual aids for kids like myself who hate glasses.

Your turn. I can't wait to read your responses and get to know you guys better. Sorry for the long read!
Best Careers 2011: Optometrist

As one of the 50 Best Careers of 2011, this should have strong growth over the next decade

The rundown:
They're often referred to as "doctors of optometry," but as an optometrist, you won't have an M.D., but rather a Doctor of Optometry degree (O.D.) from a school of optometry. [COLOR=#005497 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=#005497 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]Optometrists..[/COLOR][/COLOR] are healthcare professionals who treat a wide variety of eye problems. They prescribe lenses for nearsighted and farsighted people, diagnose and treat visual problems such as glaucoma or a scratched cornea, and refer patients for laser-eye surgery, among other duties. Many optometrists specialize in particular areas—eye care for infants and the elderly is in high demand, for example, and some optometrists work with athletes on sports-related visual problems.

[See a list of The 50 Best Careers of 2011.]
The outlook:
The American population is quickly becoming more elderly. So demand for visual aids is expected to grow considerably. But eye-care technology is improving as well, allowing each optometrist to care for more patients. Still, the Bureau of Labor Statistics expects more than 24 percent growth, or 8,500 new jobs, for the profession through 2018.
Money:
The bottom 10 percent of optometrists earn less than $48,240, while the top earners make more than $166,400. The annual median wage in 2009 was $96,140 . Vermont and Washington state have the highest average wage for optometrists.
Upward mobility:
The more independent you are, and the longer you practice, the more you will earn, generally speaking. According to the Association of Schools and Colleges of [COLOR=#005497 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=#005497 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]Optometry..[/COLOR][/COLOR], self-employed optometrists earn well above the average for the profession, while those who work for optical chains or in practices of six or more optometrists earn less. Those who practice for between 26 and 30 years earn an average of $70,000 more annually than those in practice for six to 10 years.
Activity level:
Emergency calls are rare, so optometrists have a slightly lower activity level than many [COLOR=#005497 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=#005497 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]medical .[COLOR=#005497 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]professionals.[/COLOR].[/COLOR][/COLOR]. But there aren't many optometrists in the country, so you might be quite busy during regular working hours.
[See a list of the best healthcare careers.]
Stress level:
Moderate. Many optometrists get to be their own bosses, as the majority work in private practice. But that freedom can create stress—you might be working extra hours to handle the nuts and bolts of your business.
Education and preparation:
Don't overrate the fact that you don't have to go to medical school to be an optometrist. Becoming an optometrist is still quite competitive, as there are only 20 schools that teach optometry in the United States and Puerto Rico. These are four-year institutions at universities that all require a bachelor's degree for applicants. Each school has its own additional admission requirements. According to the Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry, during undergraduate years an applicant should take "at least a year of biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, general physics, and microbiology; English; college mathematics; and other social science and humanities courses."
[Find online degree programs in healthcare.]
Real advice from real people about landing a job as an optometrist:
Networking should be the number one goal for job-seeking optometrists, says Dr. Barbara Horn, independent practitioner and chair of the American Optometric Association's Clinical & Practice Advancement Group Executive Committee. "Get involved early as an optometry student and become a member of the AOA and your state affiliate organization. Networking is key, so don't overlook participation in local optometric societies as well," she says. Also, if you specialize in an area, like sports or geriatric vision, be sure to target practices that don't already offer those services. Often, new skills are sought after. "If you bring a different speciality into a practice, you can grow that practice," she says. For online job seekers, Horn recommends the AOA's Optometry Career Center, the Monster.com of the optometry profession.

NOW YOU KNOW!!!! SHHH.. DONT TELL ANYONE! :) ;)

Best Careers 2011: Optometrist

As one of the 50 Best Careers of 2011, this should have strong growth over the next decade

The rundown:
They're often referred to as "doctors of optometry," but as an optometrist, you won't have an M.D., but rather a Doctor of Optometry degree (O.D.) from a school of optometry. [COLOR=#005497 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=#005497 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]Optometrists..[/COLOR][/COLOR] are healthcare professionals who treat a wide variety of eye problems. They prescribe lenses for nearsighted and farsighted people, diagnose and treat visual problems such as glaucoma or a scratched cornea, and refer patients for laser-eye surgery, among other duties. Many optometrists specialize in particular areas—eye care for infants and the elderly is in high demand, for example, and some optometrists work with athletes on sports-related visual problems.

[See a list of The 50 Best Careers of 2011.]
The outlook:
The American population is quickly becoming more elderly. So demand for visual aids is expected to grow considerably. But eye-care technology is improving as well, allowing each optometrist to care for more patients. Still, the Bureau of Labor Statistics expects more than 24 percent growth, or 8,500 new jobs, for the profession through 2018.
Money:
The bottom 10 percent of optometrists earn less than $48,240, while the top earners make more than $166,400. The annual median wage in 2009 was $96,140 . Vermont and Washington state have the highest average wage for optometrists.
Upward mobility:
The more independent you are, and the longer you practice, the more you will earn, generally speaking. According to the Association of Schools and Colleges of [COLOR=#005497 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=#005497 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]Optometry..[/COLOR][/COLOR], self-employed optometrists earn well above the average for the profession, while those who work for optical chains or in practices of six or more optometrists earn less. Those who practice for between 26 and 30 years earn an average of $70,000 more annually than those in practice for six to 10 years.
Activity level:
Emergency calls are rare, so optometrists have a slightly lower activity level than many [COLOR=#005497 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=#005497 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]medical ..[FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=#005497 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]professionals.[/COLOR].[/COLOR][/COLOR]. But there aren't many optometrists in the country, so you might be quite busy during regular working hours.
[See a list of the best healthcare careers.]
Stress level:
Moderate. Many optometrists get to be their own bosses, as the majority work in private practice. But that freedom can create stress—you might be working extra hours to handle the nuts and bolts of your business.
Education and preparation:
Don't overrate the fact that you don't have to go to medical school to be an optometrist. Becoming an optometrist is still quite competitive, as there are only 20 schools that teach optometry in the United States and Puerto Rico. These are four-year institutions at universities that all require a bachelor's degree for applicants. Each school has its own additional admission requirements. According to the Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry, during undergraduate years an applicant should take "at least a year of biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, general physics, and microbiology; English; college mathematics; and other social science and humanities courses."
[Find online degree programs in healthcare.]
Real advice from real people about landing a job as an optometrist:
Networking should be the number one goal for job-seeking optometrists, says Dr. Barbara Horn, independent practitioner and chair of the American Optometric Association's Clinical & Practice Advancement Group Executive Committee. "Get involved early as an optometry student and become a member of the AOA and your state affiliate organization. Networking is key, so don't overlook participation in local optometric societies as well," she says. Also, if you specialize in an area, like sports or geriatric vision, be sure to target practices that don't already offer those services. Often, new skills are sought after. "If you bring a different speciality into a practice, you can grow that practice," she says. For online job seekers, Horn recommends the AOA's Optometry Career Center, the Monster.com of the optometry profession.

NOW YOU KNOW!!!! SHHH.. DONT TELL ANYONE! :) ;)

Someone very wise once told me, "don't believe what you read in the papers."

I think some of us should remember that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where does the BLS get this?

Seems to me most people on this forum thinks the outlook is less than stellar.

I dont know about the folks in US, but people are getting pretty old up here in Canada. 11/20 patients i have seen during my shadowing hours are above 50+ years old. That means by the time i graduate, life will be pretty awesome for an OD; and 9/20 spend so much time staring at a monitor, or play video games that all got glasses or contacts. Not a single patient came in with perfect healthy eyes. Plus, I personally cant say i wana be an optometrist because i really wana help people....charging them $115 is not helping...."helping" lacks any exchange of money for services provided. Optometry is a profession that involves people with different life styles, people who are not gona die in front of you if you dont help them during the next 20 seconds. People who walk in happy and leave happy or sad (in case they have to see an ophthalmologist) . people who pay you decent money for all those hours you spend studying and writing notes. So if a prof asks me why do you wana be an Optometrist, i sure wont say...because i wana help people. I am sure MDs or DDS help people more than ODw ( immediate help in this case).

just a though :)

A tender and touching story but I would submit to you that that is not enough.

I've said this dozens of times on this forum. People tend to get into health careers for two reasons:

1) They want to "help people."
2) Let's be honest....we generally get paid pretty well.

But it's not enough. In order to be a good clinician, you have to like science and the scientific method. If you don't, you will not have a rewarding career. Make sure for yourself.

I don't want to pick a job based on if i can help people anymore. Not saying there's anything wrong with that but there are too many jobs where you can help people. Social workers. Plumbers. At the end, you want to pick a job that has a special meaning to YOU and you only. I feel like 30 years down the road when I'm old and jaded, I'm not going to love my job because I can "help people" (sorry for sounding so cynical but that's just who I am). No, I'm going to think, I love my job because I picked it - because I really wanted to study the eyes, and use my research experience from school to conduct clinical research.

Just saying. I've had jobs as hospital volunteer where I told the interviewer that I want to help people. Once I started it, I realized it had nothing to do with helping people; it was just a reason to justify why I am here. The time I did research with my optometrist and got to meet patients is the one job I truly loved and never felt bored for a single second.