Why pharmacy instead of med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I actually have no problem examining patients or any of the blood, bodily fluids, I'm hoping pharmacy evolves into allowing pharmacists to do more of that stuff. I chose pharmacy because I'm more interested in the way drugs work rather than the way the human body works.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually have no problem examining patients or any of the blood, bodily fluids, I'm hoping pharmacy evolves into allowing pharmacists to do more of that stuff. I chose pharmacy because I'm more interested in the way drugs work rather than the way the human body works.
what about how drugs work within the human body? :p

wait nvm isn't that what pharmacy's about hahaha

This is why there is a shortage of primary care physicians. There are enough physicians, all specializing in the name of medicine, but not primary care. This is also why physician assistants and nurse practitioners came onto the scene.

Pharmacy and Medicine are not related. At all. You get top board scores, you can specialize. If you don't may just end up in primary care. I respect primary care physicians very much so, but that is just not how I want my life to play out.

I respectfully disagree with this statement. Pharmacy schools include clinical training, including the taking of histories, in their curriculums. Clinical pharmacists can participate in patient care. In some cases, they have authority to prescribe (within a scope of practice), such as in cardiac, diabetes, and psychiatric clinics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a lie to me. The needles on modern syringes are only like 1/4 inch long.

Why all the aversions to bodily fluids/human anatomy? Personally, I could watch a heart transplant while eating a steak, but each to his own I guess.

Good luck doing IM injections with a 1/4 inch needle. LOL
Stick to pharmacy.

I am interested in going into pharmacy, but what worries me is if I will always have the job security of a doctor? Any thoughts?

Needles, fuilds, etc. but especially anything related to pain. A friend once said I was likely tortured in a past life ;)

I really like the chemistry behind pharm., even the chemistry of nutrition. Puts a positive spin on the whole concept of health.

YES thank you finally, pharmacy won't move forward if all these people in here are "scared of bodily fluids."

SUCK IT UP people you're in health care. That retail counter won't always be pretty you know that right. Someone's going to walk up to you with something disgusting and need your help.

granted you won't be dealing with insanely bloody/horrific situations such as MD's, but in order for pharmacists to become more clinical oriented and patient involved they need to break down some of those barriers!

YES thank you finally, pharmacy won't move forward if all these people in here are "scared of bodily fluids."

SUCK IT UP people you're in health care. That retail counter won't always be pretty you know that right. Someone's going to walk up to you with something disgusting and need your help.

granted you won't be dealing with insanely bloody/horrific situations such as MD's, but in order for pharmacists to become more clinical oriented and patient involved they need to break down some of those barriers!

No MCAT/PCAT (california schools), faster start to a career in the pharmaceutical industry/government job, easier? to pursue dual degree programs

No retail here- going into hospital pharmacy. Only if you could see (and smell) some of the stuff I have seen and smelled...HA! And I have sucked it up :) More than you know!

Well I'm sure that no doctor particularly likes feces, so I wouldn't say you're alone on that one. But how often would you actually come into contact with it unless you were some kind of GI surgeon? It's not like everyone admitted to a hospital comes in spewing the stuff.

haha poop

Personally, I think all health care professionals should be trained to perform emergency surgery.

It takes more than a couple of classes and practice dummy to perform emergency surgery. In fact, trauma surgery is currently a 1-2 year fellowship after a general surgery residency that is 5-6 years long itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm sure that no doctor particularly likes feces, so I wouldn't say you're alone on that one. But how often would you actually come into contact with it unless you were some kind of GI surgeon? It's not like everyone admitted to a hospital comes in spewing the stuff.

Dermatology would be the only thing I would consider doing if I was in medical school. I would not mind going to med school if I could get into a derm residency. LOL...but any other field is not good.

Same with dentistry...the only field there worth doing is Ortho.

It's always best to choose the most clean area of practice. I have the grades to get into both med and dental schools (was in dental school before pharmacy), but the lack of guarantee to get an Derm and Ortho residency is most likely the reason why I would not go into either fields.

Open an independent and kick big corporate imperialist asses

Personally, I think all health care professionals should be trained to perform emergency surgery.

Ha, yeah, patient walks up to the counter saying "I'm having a little trouble breathing. What do you suggest?"

You then reply, "Well, let's rule out fluid in the chest so plop up here and grit your teeth. I'm going to give you a chest tube."

Procedures are neat. I've seen plenty and have also done some things as a paramedic. That said, once you do it a few times it becomes kind of a no biggie, or at least for me. None of the "gore" bothers me. I've worn all human fluids and excrements, lol.

I'm seriously considering pharmacy as an alternative to medicine for a host of reasons. I've wondered if some past medic experience would be any kind of plus for pharm school admission. At any rate, I'm with you on procedures. ;)

It takes more than a couple of classes and practice dummy to perform emergency surgery. In fact, trauma surgery is currently a 1-2 year fellowship after a general surgery residency that is 5-6 years long itself.

I think he's talking more of the wilderness kind...like a boulder falls on your leg, and all you have is a leather strap and a can of tuna sort of thing.

Otherwise, definitely not.

Hmm, not that advanced silly, I'm talking about what paramedics and military field medics know.

Definitely do what you feel is in your heart, just remember in both fields you have a person's life in your hands.

follow him and he promised to talk a lot about the pharmacy profession!
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQweFHeXo8[/YOUTUBE]

During my interview at Madison a couple weeks ago, I was interviewed by two female pharmacists. Since it was more of a conversation, they brought up how they got into pharmacy, and both of them highlighted the fact that especially for females, it is a better choice than being a doctor. They repeated it several times, and it was obviously an important deciding factor for them. The hours are more reasonable, and it is easier to raise a family. I wouldn't have said this outright, but they brought it up first. As a female who plans to marry and have a family, I think that it IS an important deciding factor.

On the topic of medical school vs. pharmacy school...two other major things for me: the bodily fluids part and the fact that I only needed 2 years of pre-reqs for pharmacy school as opposed to a BS for medical school. Save some time and some money.

A pharmacist I know used to be on the adcom at a particular school (not one that I applied to though) and she told me the same thing. I was discussing the interview process with her and she said that is one reason she liked pharmacy, but then again she didn't tell me to actually say that.

I personally don't want to start a family... I always considered myself the workaholic married to my job and/or school type- but I like everything about pharmacy so much more than any other health professions. I was never the type who knew in high school exactly what I wanted to do, so I researched and shadowed various health professionals. At the end of the day pharmacy was the the only career I knew I would be completely happy doing for the rest of my life (assuming I get in to a school). I say career as in (doctor, dentist, PA, nurse, etc)... I will obviously have a back up in case I am never accepted into pharmacy school in the near future. Hopefully that doesn't happen though! I am 22 so I have a little more time. :oops:

Hmm, not that advanced silly, I'm talking about what paramedics and military field medics know.

Then go to school at night for a while and become a paramedic. I did it. It's not hard. Other than a surgical airway you won't be learning any emergency surgery or even suturing for that matter.

Just as a follow-up:

Independent Duty Corpsman

"To begin with, you can say that I practice medicine without a license. I maintain a fully stocked pharmacy complete with narcotics, antibiotics, and many other medications which I am authorized to prescribe for my patients. I maintain a fully operational emergency room complete with cardiac drugs, and an operating room with its various and sundry appliances and surgical instruments. I perform surgical procedures. I am the ship's psychologist and, at times, the psychiatrist if drugs are required. I am the ship's nurse, orderly, and medical janitor. "

Is there any course like this for health care professionals? Someone mentioned that paramedics get their feet wet.

Just as a follow-up:

Independent Duty Corpsman

"To begin with, you can say that I practice medicine without a license. I maintain a fully stocked pharmacy complete with narcotics, antibiotics, and many other medications which I am authorized to prescribe for my patients. I maintain a fully operational emergency room complete with cardiac drugs, and an operating room with its various and sundry appliances and surgical instruments. I perform surgical procedures. I am the ship’s psychologist and, at times, the psychiatrist if drugs are required. I am the ship’s nurse, orderly, and medical janitor. "

Is there any course like this for health care professionals? Someone mentioned that paramedics get their feet wet.

The closest you'll get with paramedics is those out on oil platforms which do some of the above, albeit not full blown surgery or perhaps those EMT-P/RNs on helicopters. Some of them get to take advanced trauma life support (ATLS). Of course there are a couple of combined PharmD/P.A. programs out there. I think there's a combined PharmD/FNP program somewhere I've seen, but NPs don't seem to get as much surgical training.

I disagree with the "all doctors should know how to perform emergency surgery" statement. Although the basic procedures are not very complex to perform it takes ongoing practice to maintain your skills. Non-emergency physicians are better off doing AHA approved CPR/first aid.
If you're looking for an exciting job with lots of medical experience join the military and become a corpsman or better yet an air force PJ. You will gain real experience - but don't go to college to become a paramedic if your educational goals are higher.

I've got quite a few military medical manuals saved on my desktop as well as several other field manuals. Interesting reading.

Most are .pdf while others are .doc.

I never want to have to ask someone to urinate in a cup and then give it back to me. I just want to say, "take two of these and call me in the morning." You Med students can keep your cups.
I would love to say this in an interview haha if only I had the guts. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I disagree with the "all doctors should know how to perform emergency surgery" statement. Although the basic procedures are not very complex to perform it takes ongoing practice to maintain your skills. Non-emergency physicians are better off doing AHA approved CPR/first aid.
If you're looking for an exciting job with lots of medical experience join the military and become a corpsman or better yet an air force PJ. You will gain real experience - but don't go to college to become a paramedic if your educational goals are higher.

This makes no sense. While corpsmen are responsible for quite a bit, the training they complete is similar to that of an EMT-intermediate; it's not even close to the level of training of a paramedic. Also, to say that you would be better off joining the military as an enlisted soldier/sailor/airman instead of becoming a paramedic on the basis of wanting to further your education is nonsense. If continuing your education is your goal and you want/need healthcare experience, becoming a paramedic is better. This only takes 1.5 years and you will have greater medical knowledge. How do I know this? I work with several corpsmen and they are great guys, but they don't have the same knowledge base. They are trained heavily on trauma and thats about it. No real physiology, pharmacology, or ACLS protocols among others. If you enlist you will be spending several years in the military, which isn't a bad thing just not the quick way to pharm/med school. BTW becoming a PJ is also very competitive. Becoming a member of any elite SF is nothing to sneeze at. I believe SF medics are quite a bit different than corpsmen and regular medics and have one of the longest training for MOSs. This would probably be the closes thing to a civilian paramedic in the military. If you are that motivated to become one why would you do all that training and hard work just to stop and then go back to school?

Last edited:

I'm fine with blood and bodily fluids, it's some other stuff I'd rather not deal with. I shadowed a DPM for a while and you definitely need a strong stomach for that. I saw of a couple cases where people came in with part of their feet rotting off, exposed bones, missing toes, necrosis, you name it. I could smell it from across the room. The DPM had to get up in there thoroughly. A lot of medical specialties have to deal with stuff like that, and often worse. It's not just "blood and bodily fluids". Don't even get me started on dentists. I'd take the grumpy customers any day.

Last edited:
As a doctor or a dentist, not all patients might be enthusiastic to see you because they might not be feeling well or an operation might be uncomfortable or painful. Pharmacy isn't happy land, but in many cases you'll be providing the relief. Pharmacists are more accessible to everyday people and are among the most trusted health care professionals. The pharmacy career is versatile because it is practiced in a variety of health care settings and flexible because if needed you can choose to work part-time or take a leave and still be in demand when you decide to come back. Blah blah blah

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
bump.

Med school is more biology

Pharmacy is more chemistry

both are hurting because of people's greed and the economy.

But who is hurting more?

Med school never even crossed my mind. I've just always wanted to be a pharmacist...*shrug* I don't see it as an either/or issue or one being an alternative to the other.

Med school never even crossed my mind. I've just always wanted to be a pharmacist...*shrug* I don't see it as an either/or issue or one being an alternative to the other.

I have to agree with your sentiment. I was never asked that specifically by anyone and would have been surprised if I was. Do med students get asked why not pharmacy? :laugh:

Other than having similar prereqs I do not see how they are considered alternatives to one another. :shrug:

I have to agree with your sentiment. I was never asked that specifically by anyone and would have been surprised if I was. Do med students get asked why not pharmacy? :laugh:

Other than having similar prereqs I do not see how they are considered alternatives to one another. :shrug:

I think it's because medical school is 4 yrs and pharmacy school is 4 yrs. The amount of debt and time needed to finish the two programs are about the same. Medicine offers more presitage and money. Pharmacy does not offer any presitage at all...especially retail pharmacy...no offense. So base on that comparsion alone it seems smarter to choose medicine. I get asked that question a million time b/c medicine is the better choice if we are talking soley money and presitage.

I have the grades and test score for med school, but I choose pharmacy b/c I really prefer no patient contact. Pharmacy is the cleanest healthcare profession and the only one I can tolerate doing. :)

I think it's because medical school is 4 yrs and pharmacy school is 4 yrs. The amount of debt and time needed to finish the two programs are about the same. Medicine offers more presitage and money. Pharmacy does not offer any presitage at all...especially retail pharmacy...no offense. So base on that comparsion alone it seems smarter to choose medicine. I get asked that question a million time b/c medicine is the better choice if we are talking soley money and presitage.

I have the grades and test score for med school, but I choose pharmacy b/c I really prefer no patient contact. Pharmacy is the cleanest healthcare profession and the only one I can tolerate doing. :)

Boy, if retail isn't enough to stroke your prestige ego I wonder what mail-order will do for you.

Boy, if retail isn't enough to stroke your prestige ego I wonder what mail-order will do for you.

I am not in this profession for prestige. If I wanted prestige I would have stay at the Ivy League dental school that I use to attend or I could have gotten into medical school (took the MCAT and did well on it). But I really don't care about prestige. Just give me a mail order job or any kind of job that allows me to work from HOME and give me 100K salary and I will be happy. :laugh:

Well, if you asked my mom she would say, "Being a physician is a very noble profession." haha. I grew up wanting to be a doctor my entire life. I went to school, declared biology as my major, did well on the MCAT and was on my way. Bodily fluids rule by the way lol. Nothing really freaks me out inside a hospital. I interned in an emergency room for 2 years - specifically the trauma center. I've seen it all and I was very intrigued by all of it. Anyway, I type too much on here..I need to learn to condense.. so why am I now trying to get into pharmacy school? I already had gray hair and stress induced gastritis multiple times by the time I was 22. I couldn't even fathom what kind of health I'd be in after 4 years of medical school and then 30-40 years of being a physician on call and stressed out to the max. I guess you could say I wasn't "feeling it" anymore. I do want to get married and raise kids/do the whole "mom" thing. I always was interested in pharmacy (I interned in one for 6 months at that same hospital) and I do like that your work hours for the most part are pretty stable on a daily basis. I could see myself raising a family as a pharmacist without going nuts about work (cliche, I know). I'm most interested in clinical pharmacy but we'll see what happens. Both are great professions and both have their pros & cons; it's ultimately up to you which you prefer. Nobody is going to ask you, "Why not medicine?" Nobody asked me when I applied to med schools, "Why not pharmacy?" I wouldn't really consider one to be an alternative to the other.

I personally knew that the stress levels (and corresponding divorce rate) meant that med school wasn't the route to go for me. I worked in a pharmacy at the time (as a pre-med) and decided that I liked what they did. After digging a little deeper, I decided to make the switch officially.

Another reason was that I wouldn't need an internship and residency (plus optional fellowship, etc) the way a doctor does.

But now I'm considering two years of residency any way. :rolleyes:

That's actually one reason that kind of bothering me a lot. When people ask me why pharmacy, I can't really say something really passionate about the field, except using the following reasons--pharmacy doesn't have to involve in patient contact, doesn't have to contact with bodily fluid, doesn't require a B.A/B.S. degree, PCAT is easier than MCAT, or no PCAT for some schools, able to practice quicker than MD, less stress than MD.....
And as we can see, many members are citing those reasons on this thread. But some reasons are no longer true--the job security, the hours, and the "doesn't require a Bachelor's degree". And when more people are turning to clinical pharmacy, a residency of 1 or 2 years post graduate will be most likely "required". Then this makes pharmacist training even closer to MD.
And we see people looking for more clinical role for pharmacist. So, why not just be a doctor?

I mean, what actually are the some reason that people actually love the field of pharmacy, instead of it being pharmacy has less this, doesn't involve that, or no patient contact ( I mean, pharmacy school actually are looking for people who are leader, good communicator,is it not true?)

What is the reason that someone who actually Love pharmacy--Oh, I like chemistry so much, and pharmacy involve a lot more chemistry than medical school. That I think is a good reason, but, when you are practicing, especially in retail, how often can you use that knowledge? And as we can see, most pharmacists are working in retail.

I don't know, all the above reasons are valid, and is actually the reasons I chose pharmacy--less stress, quicker, and the financial return....But that won't be something the adcom want to hear.

I made the switch from med to pharm. I've shadowed and worked with nearly all diff. type of physicians (anesthesiologist, orthopedic surgeon, heart surgeons, radiologists), took MCAT, etc etc. I guess one i havent seen are derms but oh well. I wasn't typically excited as I should be when I worked in the field. Near the end of my undergrad, I started to get pharm exposure and I liked it a lot more. The Pharm curriculum is stressful but the med curriculum is a lot more stressful. In Florida, I believe most of the schools (MD and DO) there is a considerable amount of difference in tuition between the pharm and med students. On top of the main reasons why I like pharmacy, many of the other small factors do come into play as people have mentioned.

I got to give it to the med students though. After four years, they have to compete for residency spots. Not everyone can do rads and derm residencies to earn 500k, work from 8-5pm, and play golf on the weekends (unless you are top of your class, great USLME/COMLEX scores, good letters, extracurric.); This is probably why those two residencies are so competitive but that’s just speculation. The majority matches into other residencies. When they get out they have to balance out time for work and family, which can be really demanding. Most specialties will require 4-5 years while the one with the minimum is 3 years (family medicine). So medical school will take up at least 7-9 years (not even counting fellowships) on top of your undergrad. People say “it’s not so bad, you get paid during residency”. You work close to 80 hours a week for an annual salary of 35,000-40000. No thanks.

Med student here. Making a few corrections/comments.
I got to give it to the med students though. After four years, they have to compete for residency spots. Not everyone can do rads and derm residencies to earn 500k, work from 8-5pm, and play golf on the weekends (unless you are top of your class, great USLME/COMLEX scores, good letters, extracurric.);
This is something to really think about going into medical school. Are you going to be happy as a doctor? or only as a cosmetic plastic surgeon ect? Because as outlined above many people can't make the cut for the really competitive specialties. Just getting a medical degree doesn't guarantee the eye popping salary + light hours that some specialties have.

his is probably why those two residencies are so competitive but that’s just speculation.
Competitive residencies are some combination of good hours, money, and low number of residency spots. Which it is for each specialty is different.

Most specialties will require 4-5 years while the one with the minimum is 3 years (family medicine).
Not sure if you meant to imply FM is the only three year program, but to be clear peds, internal medicine, FM and Emergency medicine (which also has 4yr programs) are all three years.

So medical school will take up at least 7-9 years (not even counting fellowships) on top of your undergrad. People say “it’s not so bad, you get paid during residency”. You work close to 80 hours a week for an annual salary of 35,000-40000. No thanks.
Resident's salary varies by location, but it's more like starting around 47-50k and on the high end in the 60k's if you're in one of the 6+ year type programs.

Work hours during residency are highly variable depending on your specialty.

I think it's because medical school is 4 yrs and pharmacy school is 4 yrs. The amount of debt and time needed to finish the two programs are about the same. Medicine offers more presitage and money.
The big difference I see in the training is that pharmacists can go straight to a job after school and we have to do residency. It evens out later $$$ wise, but short term it does kind of suck.

Med student here. Making a few corrections/comments.

This is something to really think about going into medical school. Are you going to be happy as a doctor? or only as a cosmetic plastic surgeon ect? Because as outlined above many people can't make the cut for the really competitive specialties. Just getting a medical degree doesn't guarantee the eye popping salary + light hours that some specialties have.

Exactly the point I was making. The majority of physicians will match into the other residencies and won't have that lifestyle. I'm sure med students who come under the false pretenses of those ambitions will be surprised. Also, It's even harder for other med school programs (such as DO and CariMDs) to match into allopathic residencies. However, im not saying they don't match into them as long as they make the grade but there is still a degree of discrimination towards them. A majority of that group do become primacy care physicians though. Ironically, the radiologist and orthopedic surgeon i worked with were both DOs.

Not sure if you meant to imply FM is the only three year program, but to be clear peds, internal medicine, FM and Emergency medicine (which also has 4yr programs) are all three years.

Yeah, I'm aware of other three year residencies and mentioned family med as one of them. Thanks for mentioning the others and clarifying though.

Resident's salary varies by location, but it's more like starting around 47-50k and on the high end in the 60k's if you're in one of the 6+ year type programs.

That's a good point about differences in locations because of the varying standards of living. Also, i want to add that resident salaries do not vary by their specialty. The salaries will only vary by institution, state, and year (PG1, 2, etc)

DrYoda and Rubisco both have really valid points. It's becoming increasingly competitve to match in regards to specific residencies. I can't say this with 100% confidence, but I would say DOs have a better a chance at matching than CaribMDs (I would believe there's a very slight degree of discrimination as well) ..regardless, it's just generally becoming really difficult to be placed where you may have originally wanted. People come in thinking they'll be a cardiologist, dermatologist, anesthesiologist or any other physician that may fall in the "glamorous" category, but it's definitely not the case and you may be disappointed when you realize you can't be what you always dreamed of. You really have to really think about why you wish to be a doctor and would you still be okay with the lifestyle that goes along with the other specialities. Residency salaries all differ based on several factors,but you have to be aware that your fancy 6 figure salary won't be coming for a few years after you receive your degree..and depending on your specialty it could take longer than just a few years which also has to be taken into consideration if you plan on raising a family and what not.

slightly off topic, but emergency medicine has 3-4 year programs? I had decided to go for internal medicine when I was still on the med route. EM is awesome and shorter than what I believed it was. Pretty sweet! :thumbup:

DrYoda and Rubisco both have really valid points. It's becoming increasingly competitve to match in regards to specific residencies. I can't say this with 100% confidence, but I would say DOs have a better a chance at matching than CaribMDs (I would believe there's a very slight degree of discrimination as well)

I believe it is true for DO matching better than carib's because CaribMDs are considered international students while DOs are still considered US medical graduates. When competing for US programs, they will take their own before considering international students. When considering the growing number of students and residency programs not opening more seats, you can already see the increasing disadvantage to international students. I always want to add in the disclaimer and say that there are plenty of caribMD graduates who get into competitive US residencies. But if both students have the same stats and profile, i would give my odds to the american graduate. Some students from the carib match and some don't. Those that dont have to reapply for the programs for following years and it can be a waste of time. But if you're considering med school, Carib should be your last ditch choice. If you have to choose from the carib, choose the big 4 (SGU, Ross, AUC, SABA).

In my opinion, any physician regardless of schooling can be a good one if the individual motivation is there. Wouldnt matter if they are MD, DO, or whatever. But there's always some realistic things to consider. This whole dynamic with MD, DO, and caribMD is a whole different story that's not found in pharmacy either. Not all med students who want to do medicine get into a US MD school. With pharmacy, residency is just an option you can choose to do without all these outside factors.

Pharmacists are team players; they counsel the healthcare team on medications and dosages as well as the patient. Pharmacists involve the patient with their own healthcare moreso than a physician would. Pharmacists are sources of guidance and encouragement and they promote relationship building with patients so that healthcare will focus preventitive measures in addition to treating the sick and providing medications. Physicians are the captains of the healthcare team and they are well versed in diagnosing the patient and performing more intimate procedures to make them well; but even docotrs need the advice of pharmacists when it comes to medication therapy, which is a critical part of treating the patient.

I really hope that when people think of pharmacy, that they will focus on principles instead of money. Sure, I also think the MCAT is harder than the PCAT, but that's because they are testing different skills (physics and more emphasis on reading comprehension). The real difference between pharmacy and medical school is the nature of the work and the principles you follow when you perform that work. Both are accountable for the patient's life in different ways. Hopefully, that's what we will learn in school.

My parents told me to be a doctor because they knew I could do it. I told them NO because I want to use interpersonal skills to most effectively help, care for, and treat patients. To me, the more people that are involved, the more effective the healthcare process is. I want to advocate more time with the patient, and I feel that Pharmacy will let me do that; pharmacy will let me connect the patient with other providers and at the same time, I will be able to provide specialized services that no other healthcare professional can. One thing is for sure: I DO NOT want to work in a retail pharmacy because business will dictate your attitude towards work; people will become numbers and it will be hard to stop thinking efficiency with real individuals.

For the people who are still unsure, take some time to look into the different healthcare professions. There is a reason why so many are available for us to pursue. To make healthcare better, we should pick the right one for the right reasons. I'm just saying...:xf:

My parents told me to be a doctor because they knew I could do it. 1. I told them NO because I want to use interpersonal skills to most effectively help, care for, and treat patients. To me, the more people that are involved, the more effective the healthcare process is. 2. I want to advocate more time with the patient, and I feel that Pharmacy will let me do that; pharmacy will let me connect the patient with other providers and at the same time, I will be able to provide specialized services that no other healthcare professional can. One thing is for sure: I DO NOT want to work in a retail pharmacy because business will dictate your attitude towards work; people will become numbers and it will be hard to stop thinking efficiency with real individuals.

1. MD's can do that. In fact I am sure most of them would sat that they do that...

2. I have not witnessed a scenario in which the pharmacist would spend more time with a patient than their doctor does, but I would be happy to be proved wrong. I love pharmacy, don't get me wrong, but I haven't witnessed what you are describing. Connecting with other providers, specialized services, etc are all things MD's can do. What about pharmacy drew you to it specifically?