Why such a drop in EPPP pass rates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AppsAintNoThang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have insight into why the first-timers pass rate dropped so much in July?

Per this table (see link), only 31% of first-timers passed in July, versus the typical 80-ish% in the other months.. I realize more people took the test, but the increase doesn't seem significant enough to explain such a drop.

http://www.psychology.ca.gov/applicants/exams/2016_monthly_eppp.pdf

I'm not sure if this is just CA test-takers or national.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have insight into why the first-timers pass rate dropped so much in July?

Per this table (see link), only 31% of first-timers passed in July, versus the typical 80-ish% in the other months.. I realize more people took the test, but the increase doesn't seem significant enough to explain such a drop.

http://www.psychology.ca.gov/applicants/exams/2016_monthly_eppp.pdf

I'm not sure if this is just CA test-takers or national.

My best guess is that this is a random blip--Which is supported by the fact that there were fewer first time test takers in July relative to other months. Blips are more likely to happen when there are fewer test takers because... well, sampling.

If you look at the data for other years, there are similar blips in both directions for other months--usually months with few test takers.

My best guess is that this is a random blip--Which is supported by the fact that there were fewer first time test takers in July relative to other months. Blips are more likely to happen when there are fewer test takers because... well, sampling.

If you look at the data for other years, there are similar blips in both directions for other months--usually months with few test takers.

The way I'm reading it, MORE people took the test in July than in other months, unless I'm missing something?

107 first timers versus 80 or less in previous months.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be curious to see the typical stats for July each year. Are these students just rushing to take it because it's the end of fellowship? Perhaps it's a trend because some of the people that waited until the last minute didn't prepare appropriately.

I'd be curious to see the typical stats for July each year. Are these students just rushing to take it because it's the end of fellowship? Perhaps it's a trend because some of the people that waited until the last minute didn't prepare appropriately.

I had that thought as well, but didn't see this drop in past years.

Last edited:
I would also wonder if there was some sort of push for a larger group of semi-unprepared folks to take the exam. Either by their grad program, fellowship, some kind of batch hiring process, definite or anticipated changes in licensure processes or other eligibility factors, etc.

I'd imagine if it were a nationwide thing, folks would've heard more about it.

I would also wonder if there was some sort of push for a larger group of semi-unprepared folks to take the exam. Either by their grad program, fellowship, some kind of batch hiring process, definite or anticipated changes in licensure processes or other eligibility factors, etc.

I'd imagine if it were a nationwide thing, folks would've heard more about it.

Either that, or it's a cover-up by The Man/ASPPB!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
And people rushing to get it done before the EPPP2 is implemented. It's a ways off, but a few months ago it was sounding like it might have been implemented sooner.

I wouldn't expect that for a couple years, at least. I think they're still identifying question content writers at this point.

I can see some people panicking about the EPPP-2 and trying to take the EPPP before it changes. While there is information out there about the EPPP-2, we can't assume everyone knew to look and knew the date it would go into effect. The fact it is in CA makes me wonder if there is a program (or more) that push their students to take the EPPP or even supply study materials/services and a larger % of students take it at the same time.

I'm just thankful I'm done with it because it was a PITA to take during the stress of fellowship ending, interviewing for positions, etc. We 'strongly encourage' our fellows to sit for the EPPP at the end of their first year of fellowship so they can get licensed (more attractive to potential employees).

I thought it was just set for 2019.
Yeh, that's their hope but they are going to start creating items some time next year so it may get pushed back a little bit. When I chatted with those folks at APA it sounded like they didn't have a firm grip on how the items were going to be done yet.

Of course, it may also be that they could roll out an underprepared test with no incremental validity on quality of care that acts purely as an additional barrier to entering practice...

The way I'm reading it, MORE people took the test in July than in other months, unless I'm missing something?

107 first timers versus 80 or less in previous months.

Oops! Yep, looks like I must have misread the table. So much for that theory...

I have noticed something a bit more insidious. Here are the annual averages for per month first timers pass rates.

2016 - 68.66
2015 - 91.09
2014 - 68.37
2013 - 68.81
2012 - 73.68
2011 - 77.58
2010 - 65.38
2009 - 77.2
2008 - 63.84
2007 - 64.17
2006 - 60.57

Oops! Yep, looks like I must have misread the table. So much for that theory...

It would've been an excellent observation had it been the way you read it. :)
I have noticed something a bit more insidious. Here are the annual averages for per month first timers pass rates.

2016 - 68.66
2015 - 91.09
2014 - 68.37
2013 - 68.81
2012 - 73.68
2011 - 77.58
2010 - 65.38
2009 - 77.2
2008 - 63.84
2007 - 64.17
2006 - 60.57

Can you spell it out for me? Too insidious for this time of day. I do now wish I had taken the test in 2015..

2016 - 68.66
2015 - 91.09
2014 - 68.37
2013 - 68.81
2012 - 73.68
2011 - 77.58
2010 - 65.38
2009 - 77.2
2008 - 63.84
2007 - 64.17
2006 - 60.57
2015 was a weird bump? Not getting the insidiousness.

Maybe insidious was a poor word choice. But that's a pretty big anomaly.

Yeh, that's their hope but they are going to start creating items some time next year so it may get pushed back a little bit. When I chatted with those folks at APA it sounded like they didn't have a firm grip on how the items were going to be done yet.

Of course, it may also be that they could roll out an underprepared test with no incremental validity on quality of care that acts purely as an additional barrier to entering practice...
Like they haven't already?! That seems to be their specialty.