Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Why the high salaries for Dermatopath?

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by Johnnyc, 10.27.02.

1. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    This is a question to anyone who has insight into why the salaries for people completing Dermatopathology fellowships are so obscenely high in the >500k range.

Are the reimbursements high or are there limited numbers of trained fellows every year to ensure a limited supply. Just curious for the icnome disparities with the other path fellowhips.
  2. Global Disrobal

Global Disrobal Along for the ride Moderator

Attending Physician
    Army SDN 10+ Year Member
    The "500K" figures appears inflated especially considering that you are referring to fellow's "coming out..."

Are you referring to more established Dermatopathologists? From the 3 that I know, 1 is close to that figure with the other 2 in the low 300's and this is after 10 years of work.

What they once told me was that it was the shear volume of the material. They also get a good penny for Melanoma related consults (there are a lot of those considering the legal ramifications of missing a diagnosis)

B y theway, where did you get your data? Just curious and wanting to peek myself aswell :)
  3. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I found the figure from a job ad on an employment site for Dermatologists. This was for people just "out" and in a metro area (chicago) practice. We're not even talking about post-partner money which would be higher me thinks.

Ill try to find it again and post the link.
  4. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer

Non-Student
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    They are in high demand, with very few graduates every year. So that is why the inflated salaries. Skin cases are high volume, easy to process, good billing cases.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal