Why would a medical student list parents on the FAFSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellybird

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a medical student I am considered "independent" so I do not have to list my parents. However, when I fill out the FAFSA, under the "Your Parents' Information" It says:

Do you want to answer questions about your parents?
Note: You may want to answer the parental questions if:
* You are a health profession student (such as a medical or nursing student)

Does anybody have any idea why you would want to answer the parental questions if you are a med student? I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere.

Obviously it would be easier to omit my parents' information, but if it's to my financial advantage I definitely want to do it!

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

It is very unlikely that any school will offer you need-based aid without your parents' financial information. If all you need is Stafford loans, you don't need to bother with the parental info.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're an older student (I'm in my 30s), there are very few exceptions (i.e., where you don't have to fill in parental info on FAFSA if you want institutional aid). For example, I know that Mayo does not require any parental info, but that's pretty rare among schools. And Loyola doesn't require that you put any parental info in FAFSA, but they have their own financial aid application which asks for even more invasive financial details about your parents than FAFSA does. Of course, that's only if you want institutional aid. George Washington specifically states that you must fill out parental info on FAFSA if you want to be considered for institutional aid, and they have their own applications as well. :rolleyes:

I omitted it on the FAFSA and then filled out the necessary information on the school's site. I mean, my parents are in their 70s. My mom is still working because she can't live on her social security. I am definitely NOT taking away their money for this. Going to med school was absolutely my own decision, so I don't see why they would have to pay for it.

However, just as they said, most schools will provide NO need-based aid unless you submit your parental information. I did confirm with my school that I could take out in loans whatever they determined was my expected "parental contribution", so I know that I can still choose not to take money from them. But you still gotta go through the hoops.

Sucks, doesn't it!?