Why you should not go to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

This has been discussed before.. NickNaylor brilliantly sums this up.

I wasn't too impressed with his work.

Let me rephrase his reasons for not going into medicine:

1) NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!111
2) NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!111
3) It's hard. :(
4) People don't pay me enough.
5) Insurance is expensive.
6) It's physically hard. :(
7) I couldn't do my job as well as I expected.
8) I hated everyone.
9) People don't respect me enough.
10) I feel useless.

I think the only good point he raised is #7, which is probably true in most cases. But I imagine most of his complaints are because of a poor disposition. Even better, the reason that he gives as the sole justification for becoming a physician makes me believe he had serious misconceptions and misunderstandings about the field. The fact that he's no longer practicing is a pretty telling sign, as well. That's like getting the opinion on Christianity from a person that became an atheist.

I don't trust his perspective at all, even if some of his points are valid. No one believes becoming a physician is an easy endeavor. That said, how any one individual experiences it will vary substantially from person to person, which will obviously color the experience.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=835792

:cool:

I've seen this before, not sure if it was on here or not.

I personally believe many of the points are actually valid. But I think what is missing is that benefits outweigh the costs, and the "grass is always greener." Every job has a ton of crap to put up with, and medicine has some doozies, but if you really want to be a doc (please make sure you know what this actually entails), it can be a very rewarding career.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want a discussion, you're going to have to do better with the opening post than "I disagree, discuss". Put some effort into threads.

I think everything the blogger says has a degree of truth to it. I'm sure in its entirety there are falsehoods and exaggerations. Not to mention what is true for one person, even if it was like this for him, isn't true for everyone.

I read "blogs.law." and I knew it was gonna be biased.

This blog was written in 2005. All of his lawyer, finance and business friends who were contemplating retirement are now broke and struggling to find work. Meanwhile, his resident friends are now attendings or working in private practice and will never have to stand in the unemployment line for as long as they live. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

With that said, physicians are indentured servants, overworked, underpaid, under-appreciated, it is not a glamourous job AT ALL. I do not think any pre-meds understand this, I def did not. The grass is not going to be greener. And the day you figure this out, you can not do anything about it because you are in too deep with debt. The fact that it is still competitive to get into medical school is just sad because it shows me how naive undergraduates are (myself once guilty).

And with that said, I can not see myself doing anything but medicine and would do it again, it is just a shame that the state of medicine today will not afford us the compensations of doctors in the past whose tuition was $1,000. Our attendings can not believe we are paying $50,000+ per year!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The attending that's 65 years old and can't use a computer can't believe you're paying $50k per year? :laugh:

Anyway, there's one important thing about medicine: If you NEED to sleep, don't go into medicine...