Menu Icon Search
Close Search

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Why You Should Use Gold Standard Practice Exams

Discussion in 'Gold Standard PreMed Headquarters' started by Renaissance Man, 04.02.12.

1. Renaissance Man

Renaissance Man Saving the World

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I recently wrote a blog post about the GS practice MCATs. I think that they are the best ones out there other than the AAMC ones. I would be happy to answer any questions about them on here or on the blog. Pleas let me know what you think.

Follow this link for the entire article
  2. 411309

411309 zzzz Gold Donor

Pre-Medical
    im comparing my scores to yours..I usually got a 10 on bio with a few exams that were hiccups and i got 8s on ps with a few 9s.

Do you think GS was easier or harder then the real deal?
  3. Renaissance Man

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    GS was harder IMO. Although I thought that the real MCAT was harder than any of the AAMC tests. Who knows what will come up during your test though, your scores on GS sound good!
  4. 411309

411309 zzzz Gold Donor

Pre-Medical
    I could never break a 10 on GS PS though -_-
  5. Renaissance Man

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think if your AAMC PS scores are in your desired range, you are probably OK. If not, then I recommend more content review.
  6. Ultimeaciax

Ultimeaciax

Pre-Medical
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    The problem with GS PS is that it is very math/calculation intensive. I don't think I can finish a PS section on time. Well, so far I took GS1, GS7, & GS10... just the PS sections. I think it they are good practice to hone your skills in quick math. Though their passages are pretty easy, short, and to the point compared to AAMC's PS. AAMC PS, especially 8 had a passage that was just like a verbal passage.
  7. Renaissance Man

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I agree, I was a basic Chemistry tutor for 2 years prior to the MCAT and I only scored better than a 10 three times on the PS section. Then again, I scored an 11 on the real MCAT so who knows. I was just thankful that GS had my recall of equations and math concepts down pat.
  8. Renaissance Man

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Take a few AAMC tests first during your MCAT prep, switch to GS for awhile and then finish with the AAMCs...I almost guarantee that you will see an increased score.
  9. aspiringdoc09

aspiringdoc09

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I have 3 free CBTs (1-3) that I got when I purchased the book 2-3 years ago. Compared to the actual tests (because I know AAMC is changing it frequently), do you think the GS test closely resembles the real thing. Also, GS claims that they revised the VR section. Did you take any CBTs with the revised VR section and how did that compare to the real thing?
  10. Renaissance Man

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I haven't taken the "revised verbal reasoning" as I took these well over a year ago. However, I didn't have a problem with the VR when I took the old version. In general, I think that the GS tests are a bit harder and probably a bit more math based than the real deal. However I thought they mimicked the real deal closer than Kaplan or EK.

For me (and from what I have heard from others) you can probably expect on average 3-4 points lower on GS than on the actual MCAT. This isn't a rule but definitely something to keep in mind.
  11. aspiringdoc09

aspiringdoc09

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

Thanks. Also, does the test increase in difficulty similar to the AAMCs or it depends?
  12. Renaissance Man

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I didn't think that the AAMCs increased in difficulty...but no there is no rank or order to the difficulties with GS (see my scores from the first 8 exams on the blog post).
  13. aspiringdoc09

aspiringdoc09

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I took GS-1 yesterday. I didn't take it in the most ideal conditons (little noisy) at my school's library. I got 7/8/9 (PS/VR/BS) breakdown. A few of those physics passages I didn't really have any ideal about, especially the 1st about bernoulli's application to a plane's wing. VR was so-so. I tend change from correct to incorrect answers; it's a bad habit. I skipped the writing portion, and I began losing focus on the BS section (tired after work). I also didn't answer the last 2 questions because I ran out of time. Also, I could not recall a lot of the orgo facts for the reaction, so I definitely will keep hitting the books there. Overall, I can do better, but I see that I should kick it up a few notches. I would like to get close to a 35 on the real thing, but so far I'm not there and my test date is May 12. I plan to take GS-2 Wednesday and possible AAMC 5 Friday/Saturday. I still have time to reschedule my exam, I think, if I need more time for practice. I'm balancing work too, so I will see how it goes this week.

Initially, I made 25 on AAMC 3 early last year w/o studying. I did EK and TPRH these last 6 months and I scored 22 on AAMC 4 (last Thursday), which I kept switching correct answers, and VR killed me. I jumped to a 24 on GS-1, so I guess I am progressing. I will take small accomplishments. I need to study more efficiently too.
  14. Renaissance Man

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I am working on a set of posts trying to help pre-meds with Verbal Reasoning, maybe you will find it helpful.
  15. aspiringdoc09

aspiringdoc09

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'm postponing my test date because I received the same score on AAMC 8. I did better on the GS verbal section but I keep getting 5s on the AAMC. I will look over your post. Thanks.
  16. Renaissance Man

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't know if anyone is interested in this thread anymore, but doing well on Verbal Reasoning is easy. See if this method works for you.
  17. dmf2682

dmf2682

Pre-Medical
    Rocket Scientist SDN 2+ Year Member
    Unless you've actually tested your method out on real people other than yourself you shouldn't try and promote your method as easier. Yeah it may have worked OK for you but snake oil seems to cure my sore back too
  18. Renaissance Man

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Never said my method was easier than any other method. I said: "doing well on Verbal Reasoning is easy." Which it can be. I have also privately tutored 3 separate students for the MCAT who all saw gains in VR scores using my suggestions.

I make no guarantees, and if you read the post I say to use what works for you. However, I would say that it worked better than "OK" for me. :p
  19. dmf2682

dmf2682

Pre-Medical
    Rocket Scientist SDN 2+ Year Member
    arrogant. good luck in med school
  20. Renaissance Man

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'll be just fine in medical school ;)

Never thought I would run into trouble on here for promoting something that worked for me. Honestly just trying to help out people with MCAT stuff. Sorry, if it offended you.
  21. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    SDN Sponsor SDN Exhibitor SDN 7+ Year Member
    All our GS Verbal Reasoning passages, questions and explanations were changed over the last 10 months.
  22. Renaissance Man

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't think anyone was recommending not using the AAMC practice tests...I simply believe that Gold Standard is the second best option, and clearly ahead of Kaplan and EK.
  23. dermocrat88

dermocrat88

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    In your opinion, from GS 1 to 10 which one is the hardest to easiest? Do you mind ranking them for me, please? I took GS-3 and got a 9 in PS and a 9 in VR. I am going to take Bio after ten mins and I wanted to make sure my scores were not a fluke.

Thanks,

Dermocrat.
  24. Renaissance Man

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Sorry, haven't check this thread in awhile. I would recommend taking GS 1 and then going in numerical order from there. Check out my post to see my average scores but they were not so different that I remember individual tests.
  25. Captain Sisko

Captain Sisko U.S.S. Defiant

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Did anyone try the updated vr section? I tried a couple tests and found the above to be mostly true. The passages will be OK but the questions will often be vague, or have multiple correct answers. It's really freaking me out that my verbal is so low compared to OK science scores. Just looking for someone to say if they found updated gs verbal to be sketchy so I can get a good feel for how I'm doing 3 months out.
  26. Lollygag

Lollygag I'm a girl

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I just wanted to say that I'm so glad that I found this because my weakest area is physics specifically in the math/calculations area and I was trying to find something that would hopefully help me out in that area and give me more practice so I'm glad that I found out about GS :) I've always heard about it but never looked into it. I'm definitely going to use them as practice exams now.
  27. enigma6

enigma6

I am quite interested in this article however the link is not working - at least not to me...

brood910

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Change your pc then.
  29. goldstandard_mcat

goldstandard_mcat The Only MCAT Prep You Need

Pre-Medical
    SDN Sponsor
    The Gold Standard practice tests prepare you for the real MCAT. For those who have not yet tried it, here is a free MCAT practice test http://www.mcat-prep.com/Practice-Tests/ It has explanations and scores included for multiple choice sections. You can follow your progress and compare yourself to thousands of other MCAT takers in your personal History Section.
  30. Silent Cool

Silent Cool Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I agree. Gold Standard superbly simulates the real deal.
  31. goldstandard_mcat

Pre-Medical
    SDN Sponsor
    Hi guys, apart from the Gold Standard MCAT-Prep practice tests, any premed student studying for the MCAT can access our FREE streaming videos on Physics, Biology and General and Organic Chemistry. Click on this link for free videos http://www.mcat-prep.com/publicvideos/
  32. goldstandard_mcat

Pre-Medical
    SDN Sponsor
  33. chemhead123

chemhead123

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've heard some really rough stuff about GS verbal, even after the changes. Can you point me in the direction of people who have actually taken them recently?
  34. brood910

brood910

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Bump.
    It looks like it is true that students usually score 1 point lower on GS science sections than they do on AAMC FLs.
    Im getting 11~12 on their PS + BS (I usually get 12-13 on AAMC PS + BS).

Their PS is very calculation heavy. And I have to tell you, I LOVE IT. PS on my MCAT in March was very calculation heavy, and its questions are very very similar to GS ones. I love their BS even more.

Not sure about their VR. Their questions are very different. But Im getting what I usually get on AAMC VR.
    bambam92 likes this.
  35. Uniqueusername814

Uniqueusername814

Pre-Medical

Do the GS exams get more difficult as you progress in number for PS and Bio? I have 2 weeks left and have just started using the GS exams. They are definitely helping me on my math, but seem to be much shorter in length then the AAMC which makes me more comfortable (which is scary...because I know the AAMC passages are longer) And since you've taken the MCAT previously how do you feel the Bio portion compares to the actual AAMC?
  36. brood910

brood910

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Only bad thing about GS is that it doesnt help you much on timing.
    Every single test was quite different. I almost ran out of time for all sections for GS2, while I had 15mins left for each section for GS4.
  37. Uniqueusername814

Uniqueusername814

Pre-Medical
    Timing isn't necessarily my issue... but the content on PS is... So I want to make sure I address weaknesses (like math and applying physics formulas). So in that regard would how you rate the AAMC to the GS exams?
  38. brood910

brood910

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It does. Its PS is rly good.. Their calculation problems sometime get too cocky tho..
  39. Gold Standard Multimedia

Gold Standard Multimedia

Non-Student
    SDN Sponsor SDN 2+ Year Member
  40. drrao88

drrao88

Anyone using the GS exams now as a 2nd time test-taker?

Really curious as to how my practice scores will reflect the real deal.
    Asiandoodle likes this.
  41. Asiandoodle

Asiandoodle

Pre-Medical
    i am currently studying for an mcat retake. have taken aamc 3 and 4 and GS 1, 2 and 3
  42. user12

user12

SDN 2+ Year Member
    i don't feel like writing a lengthy post of why gold standard tests aren't "gold" in the least. just take my word for it: the exams are AWFUL. and it's not that they're too easy or too hard- they're just stupid. there should be a thread called why you should NOT use gold standard exams. feel free to message me if you'd like more details. don't waste your money on them. try Princeton or Kaplan or even Berkeley review- after doing every single aamc question you can get your hands on.
  43. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Well, we always agree that all students should acquire all AAMC practice materials because they made the test, and they will always remain the best practice. Despite this, many students on SDN have had a successful MCAT experience (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/fl-score-comparison-thread.923690/) and have posted pretty good reviews of GS practice materials. We are not perfect by any means but we have been helping students get good MCAT scores for more than 20 years and, in a relatively economical way. It's the first time we hear the expression 'stupid' to describe our practice tests. No judgement is being made here but why not share your experience? It's an open forum, your opinion is valid as it represents how you feel. We know that despite our constant efforts to improve, we cannot be all things to all people. Describing what you disliked may help others in some way.
  44. user12

user12

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I might have been a little harsh. I can imagine it would take a very long time to write good exams. however, I would rather 1 or 2 really good exams be produced then something thrown together like GS 8. so here are my grievances:

- your verbal sucks. it does. there is no argument. I think youd be hard pressed to find someone who says it's good. say what you will about the sciences, fine, maybe they're like a 7 or 8/10 (for some tests at least) but the verbal is a 2/10 if im being generous. nearly every single question- and I mean EVERY question- has the correct answer that is word for word in the passage. like you don't even change the wording around. it's straight reading comprehension, there is no "reasoning." there are no incorporating new information questions, no strengthen/weaken questions, no analogy questions, hardly any main idea/thesis questions. very poor. The fact that it is so poorly made is what upsets me the most. and again, I can understand how tough it can be to write a good verbal section, I wouldn't want the job.... but still. take a look at examkrackers or Princeton. consistently solid every time.

- your science passages ask the same kind of question every time. I am again basing much of this off of GS 8. I did 1-4 then decided to go for 8. There must have been a significant drop in quality between 4 and 8 because 8 was the worst one I saw. You guys have a pedigree (which was basically the entire passage, that was it) and ask 6 questions on it. the real exam is not going to test the same concept 6 times. it's not. there was also a physics passage (I use the word passage loosely since it was like 3 sentences) showing a pulley system pushed. then followed 6 questions all on forces. that's not happening on the real exam. then there was another pathetic excuse of a passage, followed by 6 questions on VSEPR. I mean come on, im paying $25 for an exam I expect to be SOMEWHAT realistic. NEVER will you ever see that many questions testing one concept.

- you repeat the same type of discrete questions, using different numbers.

- orgo could be better

- I caught at least 2 answers that were wrong or questionable at best in your physical sciences. no one is perfect, I agree, but people on the message boards brought the mistakes to your attention. you should modify the questions.

- there are a TON of typos. particularly in the verbal.
  45. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Well, thank goodness you never tried GS-7 or you would have nuked our Company (GS-7 has a peculiar reputation, more so than GS-8). Despite your experience, we do appreciate you saying that our sciences are "like a 7 or 8/10 (for some tests at least)". With respect to the sciences, we took certain liberties in tests GS-7 to GS-10. First, we carefully analyzed student performance in tests GS-1 to GS-6 and we were surprised at certain deficits like VSEPR and navigating pedigrees. We decided that certain concepts were going to be hammered home in those last tests. We only did this after looking at student purchasing histories: no one came to our website to purchase tests GS-7 to GS-10 first. Students always start with the earlier standard tests and then moved on. We were not going to let any student coming to our site get blind sided by the real exam even if they chided us for the number of “Intense” questions at the end.

For VR, with great effort, we completely changed our exams 1-2 years ago and yes, generally the feedback has been less than encouraging. There are noted exceptions even from students who obtained outstanding VR scores (http://www.theherocomplex.com/impro...part-1-misconceptions-about-verbal-reasoning/).

Regarding VR, it’s very tough to read comments like “a TON of typos” and “the correct answer that is word for word in the passage”. And even though VR will be extinct in less than 1 year, we are always working to improve.

You write well and you have strong opinions. So if you happen to have time for some part-time work (remunerated of course) just to point out specific examples so that our team can focus their adjustments, pm us and we’ll work something out.

Our exams are living organisms and we literally change questions almost daily. We want to keep these ‘organisms’ healthy – even if it’s just for a matter of months.
  46. Saxappeal1

Saxappeal1

Pre-Medical
    @mcat prep I actually liked GS 7-10 because it is was brutal. It helped me get a better grip on PS. I was scoring mostly 10s and some 9s (like 1 11) on the GS tests, and I ended up with an 11 on the real PS on 6/21. I think for PS, GS and AAMC are the way to go! But, why is the format different? Like, why is it 8 passages and 1 set of discretes over 7 passages and like, 3 sets of discretes?
    BS is a little more awkward. I found it helpful for extra practice, but it was painfully specific. Also, the GS BS tests (like, 3 of them) use the same passage of extraction of a vast variety of compounds exact same diagram, just slightly different questions. Other than those two comments, I don't really have much else to say about GS BS. Scored 10s and 11s on the GS BS and got a 10 on the real deal. That is because both GS and AAMC I believe.
    I personally didn't gain anything from GS VR.
  47. Hassan Bhatti

Hassan Bhatti

Pre-Medical
    Hey can you please email me your three exams I would like to practice plz

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal