WICHE Applicants c/o 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magjones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting this thread as a place for us to gather and discuss the highs and lows of being WICHE applicants.

I'll start out this thread with a question. Schools keep saying they have to wait for the national office to rank and list WICHE applicants before being able to offer official WICHE spots. What exactly goes into that ranking? What are the requirements to get a WICHE spot (is it just having your state approve you?)?

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting this thread as a place for us to gather and discuss the highs and lows of being WICHE applicants.

I'll start out this thread with a question. Schools keep saying they have to wait for the national office to rank and list WICHE applicants before being able to offer official WICHE spots. What exactly goes into that ranking? What are the requirements to get a WICHE spot (is it just having your state approve you?)?

I believe the ranking is based on an average of the participating WICHE schools' ranking. For example, if CSU rated you for your state #1, OS rated you #3 and WSU rated you #2, than your WICHE ranking would be #2 for your state. And then I believe funding is based on how many students your state will sponsor for each school. I'm pretty sure that's what its based on, but don't hold me to it. :oops:)

I've heard something similar to the original poster, but really I think it's random. Just like the process of getting into vet school. You have to be competitive to get sponsored, but you have to be to get into vet school too. I was a WICHE applicant who turned down my seat to go out of state. Good luck with the whole process! It's an exciting time.

Members don't see this ad :)
For all the WICHE applicants this year..have any of you received any updates about sponsorship yet? I'm starting to get a tad antsy lol

I'm also a WICHE applicant, and haven't heard anything on WICHE status. CSU said they weren't expecting to hear until mid to late-January though, so not too worried.

Have any of the WICHE applicants heard about sponsorship or not?

Have any of the WICHE applicants heard about sponsorship or not?

I have a couple of friends in AZ that I think have heard. I would say, don't worry just yet. It could vary by state when you'll hear. Also if you don't get it, I'm pretty sure they send you a letter.

I am a WICHE sponsored student from MT. We heard in January of last year (exactly when I'm not sure). The rules/requirements of WICHE sponsorship vary by state. I never heard anything from the central WICHE office, but rather the vet schools rush to make you offers when they hear about your WICHE sponsorship. Dr. Talcott from WSU was the first person to tell me I got WICHE when she called to offer me admission. Waiting is the hardest part! Good luck to you guys!