Wilkes Pharmacy School Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On Wilkes website, they have criteria that their undegrads need to meet in order to be able to attend their pharmacy school. One of the criteria is:

A minimum score of 25 on the Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT).

I haven't taken the PCAT yet so I'm not sure how the scores work. Is that a low score? I've heard people say they scored in the 90s so I wasn't sure if they were talking about the same thing as this website.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

25 on the PCAT doesn't make sense, unless they are talking 25th percentile. The scaled scores are between 200-600 but what schools look at is your percentile rank. 25th percentile seems low.

Edited to add: I just looked at their website, and it appears that the 3.0 GPA/25 PCAT requirement applies only to their own undergraduate students in the Wilkes pre-pharmacy program.

I didn't see any evidence that they accept applications from outside their university for the professional program. But they might, I don't know.

All4MyDaughter said:
I didn't see any evidence that they accept applications from outside their university for the professional program. But they might, I don't know.

They do take 5 or 6 people from outside their university! I was accepted there (to start my 1st professional year this fall), but I chose to attend Temple so that my husband & I wouldn't have to relocate to Wilkes-Barre.
If I were single, I would have definitely considered attending--their financial aid package rocked.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTB said:
If I were single, I would have definitely considered attending--their financial aid package rocked.

How does the financial aid package rock? Does the school have extra money to give?

BTB said:
They do take 5 or 6 people from outside their university! I was accepted there (to start my 1st professional year this fall), but I chose to attend Temple so that my husband & I wouldn't have to relocate to Wilkes-Barre.

Do you by any chance happen to know if it is cheaper for students to attend Wilkes that live in Pa and if I would have a better chance of getting in since I live in Pa?

Thanks

Why you want to apply to WILKES?? DO u know that they accepted 60 students from their school and 5 students from others ??? If you are not their students, then I think it's better to apply to somewhere else. They give reference to their students.

eslboy2005 said:
Why you want to apply to WILKES?? DO u know that they accepted 60 students from their school and 5 students from others ??? If you are not their students, then I think it's better to apply to somewhere else. They give reference to their students.

That is a good point.

All4MyDaughter said:
25 on the PCAT doesn't make sense, unless they are talking 25th percentile. The scaled scores are between 200-600 but what schools look at is your percentile rank. 25th percentile seems low.

That is really low!

EDIT: Especially for someone who scored in the 99th percentile! :D you go girl

RLK said:
Do you by any chance happen to know if it is cheaper for students to attend Wilkes that live in Pa and if I would have a better chance of getting in since I live in Pa?
Same price for in-state & out-of-state students.
For breakdown of how many students in-state vs. out-of-state attend Wilkes, see www.aacp.org pages on individual school stats.

gablet said:
How does the financial aid package rock? Does the school have extra money to give?
I'm stating this from memory, so if you're serious about Wilkes, please speak with someone there. From what I recall, they cover the difference between your EFC & their tuition 100%. For people with a low EFC, that sounds great. They also offer partial (< $5K) scholarships for the first 2 years for students earning a B+ average.

eslboy2005 said:
They DEFINITELY give "reference" (sic) to their students. That doesn't mean it's impossible to get in.

Also: there was no application fee to apply to Wilkes for fall 2005 admission. The only costs I incurred were the Harcourt fee to send my PCAT scores to Wilkes, and various fees for transcripts from my colleges. All in all, the application cost me very little time and less than $50. So potential applicants might want to take that into account.