Will a C+ in O chem 2 ruin my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaitanne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was extremely distracted last semester and got a C+ in O chem 2 but have a B+ in O Chem 1 and lab. I have an overall GPA of 3.6, am an honors student, HIV counselor, neuromechanics research assistant, a peer health educator, hospice volunteer, president and founder of the creative writing club, and have interned with a neurologist specializing in movement disorders at Rush Medical Center doing research on genetics related to Parkinson's. I haven't yet taken the MCAT but I believe I can do quite well if i put the time to it.. Will my leadership positions/clinical experience/research experience make up for a C+ in O Chem or should I take it again?? The class wasn't hard for me, I enjoyed the content, but my mother fell ill and I missed a lot of class. Any input is appreciated!! thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Your app sounds good so far, so hard to tell how much it will affect you.
Is this your only C?

If it's the worst grade you have on the whole transcript, I wouldn't sweat it provided you kick the MCAT's ass, and continue to have an otherwise flawless app with good ECs

If what I've said so far rings true, I WOULD NOT retake it unless you are sure you'll get an A, it might seem odd for your second time around in a class to only raise from C to B
And try to get an A in O Chem 3

My transcript when I applied had my one and only C of my career in an O Chem class (this was major-level and not med school pre-req) and I never got asked about it

My one and only F of my career was first semester out of community college, just started at the university, Physics with Calculus, they asked about this and as you said I mentioned how my family member was ill at the time and the stress of transitioning, and they did not seem phased at all

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely don't retake it. It seems like you can't have too many C's on your transcript from your GPA. Having one or two C's is not gonna sink your application, even on a pre-req. Just put as much effort as possible to do well in Biochem.

Members don't see this ad :)
If what I've said so far rings true, I WOULD NOT retake it unless you are sure you'll get an A, it might seem odd for your second time around in a class to only raise from C to B
As a general and organic chem tutor and TA, I have seen a lot of people retake classes and do the same or worse. If you do retake, make sure you are motivated to get that A. But you probably don't need to if you keep the rest of your grades up and do well on the MCAT. Try to have a 3.7+ by application if possible

I was extremely distracted last semester and got a C+ in O chem 2 but have a B+ in O Chem 1 and lab. I have an overall GPA of 3.6, am an honors student, HIV counselor, neuromechanics research assistant, a peer health educator, hospice volunteer, president and founder of the creative writing club, and have interned with a neurologist specializing in movement disorders at Rush Medical Center doing research on genetics related to Parkinson's. I haven't yet taken the MCAT but I believe I can do quite well if i put the time to it.. Will my leadership positions/clinical experience/research experience make up for a C+ in O Chem or should I take it again?? The class wasn't hard for me, I enjoyed the content, but my mother fell ill and I missed a lot of class. Any input is appreciated!! thank you

No

You're fine. Though be careful about making assumptions on your MCAT score- half of people score below average, after all, and none of them walked into that test room thinking they were going to do poorly. Study hard for it, because your app is otherwise fine and you will live or die come the cycle based on that score alone at this point.

Reactions: 1 user