Will a chemistry degree help me get into pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deoxyribose

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll have a BSc in chemistry soon enough but pharmacology is my favourite area so I'm considering becoming either a psychiatrist or pharmacist. Would I be more likely to be accepted into pharmacy school having a BSc in chemistry? Also, would my chemistry knowledge give me a good head start?

Members don't see this ad.

How are your grades? If they are below the min then no, the degree will not be much help.

I'm definitely not a chemistry person, but I don't find Med Chem all that difficult (and that's the only direct chemistry involved). For me, it's mostly random memorization of SARs, not really requiring much chemistry knowledge. To be honest, I don't think a BS in Chemistry is really that advantageous, but it certainly isn't a disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grades, PCAT score, ECs...good interview skill will help you get into pharm school.

Does a BS in Chemistry learn the H-H equation? Amino acids and their properties? Enzyme kinetics? If not, then a chem degree doesnt help so much. It only helps when u learn Acid-base and molecular interactions. Mostly biochem more than pure chem in pharmacy school. I have to admit that first exams of p1 year was super EASY because I was a biochem major :D.

Does a BS in Chemistry learn the H-H equation? Amino acids and their properties? Enzyme kinetics? If not, then a chem degree doesnt help so much. It only helps when u learn Acid-base and molecular interactions. Mostly biochem more than pure chem in pharmacy school. I have to admit that first exams of p1 year was super EASY because I was a biochem major :D.

Not that your answer is incorrect, but I think the question is will it get OP into pharmacy school. And the obvious answer is yes, if your grades are good.

Not that your answer is incorrect, but I think the question is will it get OP into pharmacy school. And the obvious answer is yes, if your grades are good.
Oh, I'm sorry I was reflecting on Appleseed's post and the OP's last question.