Will a DUI in college ruin my chances of getting an Anesthesiology residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anesinquiry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I screwed up horribly one night in college and drove after drinking. It was the worst decision of my life and I make no excuses but I have learned from it and I have no desire to do anything that could ever put my career at risk again. I blew less than a .10 but more than .o8. I'm in med school now and I plan on reporting it on my ERAS application. I'm curious if people think I will be able to match into Anesthesia at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I screwed up horribly one night in college and drove after drinking. It was the worst decision of my life and I make no excuses but I have learned from it and I have no desire to do anything that could ever put my career at risk again. I blew less than a .10 but more than .o8. I'm in med school now and I plan on reporting it on my ERAS application. I'm curious if people think I will be able to match into Anesthesia at all?
Yes, as long as the rest of your application is good I would think you will be fine. If you come from a lousy med school, have subpar board scores, and don't interview well, it probably won't help.

Reactions: 1 users
It certainly won't help. Make your application outstanding otherwise and you shouldn't have a problem. If asked, say simply that it was a mistake that you regret and that it will never happen again. Don't make justifications or equivocations. Don't explain that it "wasn't that bad..." etc. If they don't bring it up, you shouldn't.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You couldn't lawyer your way out of that to a reckless driving charge? Just curious.

I have a buddy who's an oral surgeon who blew a 0.14 at 6:00 AM after running over a mailbox on his way home from his girlfriends (i.e. not his and his wife's) house and he was able to get that reduced to reckless with some careful maneuvering. I'm not saying he makes the best of decisions either but he's a hell of an oral surgeon and the community would be at a huge loss without his services.

You couldn't lawyer your way out of that to a reckless driving charge? Just curious.

I have a buddy who's an oral surgeon who blew a 0.14 at 6:00 AM after running over a mailbox on his way home from his girlfriends (i.e. not his and his wife's) house and he was able to get that reduced to reckless with some careful maneuvering. I'm not saying he makes the best of decisions either but he's a hell of an oral surgeon and the community would be at a huge loss without his services.

Oh yeah - he's a great guy - that makes up for it.

What would he have pleaded to if he killed someone?

Oh yeah - he's a great guy - that makes up for it.

What would he have pleaded to if he killed someone?

Involuntary manslaughter probably.

In the words of late comedian Sam Kinison, who was ironically killed by a drunk driver, "You're going to drink, you're going to drive, you're gonna get away with it."

Sometimes you get caught.

Not dismissing what he did, but if you knew his wife you'd probably understand a little better. Personally, I can do more at 0.08 than most people can do completely sober.

(Haven't you figured out yet that this country is all about how well you can lawyer up? Bringing it back home... look at what the CRNAs are doing in court.)

Last edited:
Involuntary manslaughter probably...
Personally, I can do more at 0.08 than most people can do completely sober.
That's the attitude that kills innocent people.
When I'm driving, I limit myself to one beer or glass of wine, 2 if I'm out for a few hours. No mixed drinks, etc. Who knows how much booze is in there. On a 225# frame, that's nothing.
If I want to go out drinking I get a ride, cab, train, etc. Always.
Haven't you seen enough disasters in the trauma bay to know that?

Reactions: 5 users

Haven't you read this forum and checked NRMP stats recently? Anesthesiology is easy to get into man, and there's a reason for that.

Haven't you read this forum and checked NRMP stats recently? Anesthesiology is easy to get into man, and there's a reason for that.

I'm not sure "easy" can be used without a qualifier or modifier referring to prominence of hospital desired, breadth of programs applied-to, originating med school (USMD, USDO, FMG, IMG), and strength of applicant. If you were being sarcastic, I missed the nuance.

I'm not sure "easy" can be used without a qualifier or modifier referring to prominence of hospital desired, breadth of programs applied-to, originating med school (USMD, USDO, FMG, IMG), and strength of applicant. If you were being sarcastic, I missed the nuance.

"I'm curious if people think I will be able to match into Anesthesia at all."

The OP seem to imply that he just wants to match, and doesn't care for the prestige of the program. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that he is a USMD student. If he's a USMD, I stand by my statement that it is easy to match into anesthesiology if one just wants to simply match without regard to the quality of a program.

A DUI might be a problem because it can imply a lack of self-restraint when around controlled substances. That's a big issue and a no-no in anesthesia; big enough for me to never drink and drive.

You need to offer a really good explanation for what happened, and what steps you took.

Disclaimer: Just my 2 cents... I am not a PD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious.., why do you have to report it?

I know a guy (no really, it's not me) who had a dui and matched anesthesia at a good program...it'll probably limit your opportunities but it certainly isn't going to close 60 (or whatever number you apply to) doors to you.

Just curious.., why do you have to report it?
I believe it is a required question on the NRMP form. If you answer falsely and the program finds out, they can refuse to honor the match/dismiss you from the residency without penalty from the NRMP.

Agree with what others have said. Like any weakness or red flag, how you respond to it and grow from it is really important. You need to be able to articulate that. Obviously you gotta have a good prepared explanation or comment on the event, NOT an excuse, and be prepared for follow up questions, e.g., "Why should we take someone with a known substance abuse history?"

Do NOT bring it up unless you are asked.

Though it's a little late to make a difference now, just keep in mind that this red flag ought to give you every reason to be THAT MUCH stronger in terms of board scores, research, work ethic, letters, etc.