Will a grade that comes out in late August affect the outcome of my application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is not only low (c3.56, s3.41), but also shows a downward trend. (Nothing precipitous, but a slow decline from 3.8 freshman year to 3.2 senior year) My adviser recommended that I take a Biochemistry course over the summer to show med schools that I am capable of getting an A.

MCAT is 37 with strong clinical experience and community service.

Grades for the course come out in late August.

My question is: How will this affect my application cycle?

I see 3 possible outcomes:

1. Schools wait for my biochem grade before making a decision. This might hurt me if they run out of interview slots before then.

2. Schools wait for my biochem grade before making a decision. This helps get an interview invite I might not have otherwise gotten.

3. Schools don't wait for my biochem grade and it's really irrelevant that I took the class.

Members don't see this ad.

3. Except that some schools require Biochem and it will be completed in plenty of time.

Hmm so the only reason to take it would be to fulfill a prerequisite since the grade wouldn't come out in time to strengthen my app. When schools say biochemistry is recommended, do they really mean that or would it negatively affect me if I didn't take biochem?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm so the only reason to take it would be to fulfill a prerequisite since the grade wouldn't come out in time to strengthen my app. When schools say biochemistry is recommended, do they really mean that or would it negatively affect me if I didn't take biochem?
Only required courses are required.
Nobody checks to see if you took recommended courses.

Did you get a 3.2 because of like one bad grade that brought down your GPA?

I know downward trends are not looked upon favorably but I think schools would be forgiving if it's really just one grade that is causing the downward trend.

Did you get a 3.2 because of like one bad grade that brought down your GPA?

I know downward trends are not looked upon favorably but I think schools would be forgiving if it's really just one grade that is causing the downward trend.

Yes. My one and only C which was from Organic Chem 2, though I was getting B's with more frequency later on too.

Yes. My one and only C which was from Organic Chem 2.

Damn that sucks. Yeah I ended up with a C this semester bringing down my upward trend but I still have one more year to bring up my grades.

Don't sweat it too much. Your overall GPAs are fine I think and your MCAT is nothing to sneeze at.