Will a low PAT score ruin my chances at these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BUM1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT: 15
QR: 18
RC: 23
BIO: 23
GCHEM: 19
OCHEM: 19
TS: 20
AA: 20

Total GPA: ~3.7
Science GPA: ~3.3
Good on volunteering, shadowing, and EC.
Residency: AZ

Will the low PAT score be a major issue in the following schools:
ASDOH
Midwestern (AZ & IL)
NYU
UNLV
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Maryland
LECOM
USC
Rutgers
Roseman
Case Western
West Virginia
Marquette
Indiana University

I know some schools don't put much weight on PAT, but will a 15 completely ruin a chance at any of these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Id say so, 15 is very low. Prob retake since youre considered out of state for basically all the schools youve listed.

Many schools have cutoffs. Those are usually at 16 or 17.

15 is pretty low to be considered competitive as your AA and TS are average.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have not been rejected there is still hope, many schools look at the whole package vs just ruling you out for a single test. If you don't have luck this cycle you can try again and retake but don't lose hope just yet. There are many people with great scores who don't get accepted either. Best of luck to you!

I would retake and reapply next cycle, just my 1 cent!

Many schools have cutoffs. Those are usually at 16 or 17.

15 is pretty low to be considered competitive as your AA and TS are average.

Average for people that get accepted right? Not average in general. Can't be.

Average for people that get accepted right? Not average in general. Can't be.

What? For the cutoffs? For most schools those are the minimum scores that you even be considered. Note that, for most people that are accepted the scores are usually much higher (20+)ish.

Some schools have a PAT minimum. I know tOSU was a 17. Call the schools and ask them what their minimums for acceptance are.

Note that, for most people that are accepted the scores are usually much higher (20+)ish.

The national acceptance average is 20. The national average in general is 18. The people who score astronimically higher are the rare birds. You just think they aren't because they like to toot their own horns and talk about their scores ad nauseam.

I wouldn't say that a 15 will "completely ruin" your chances at some of the schools on your list. I got into NYU with a 15 PAT and a 3.06 sGPA. A 15 will make things difficult. Denver has been completely silent with me. Maryland sent me a supplemental around August and I haven't heard back since completing it. Howard has been silent as well save for asking for their supplemental fee.

This is something I downloaded from a pre-dental club's website. I can't quite attest to the veracity of the stats listed as there are a few typos like Columbia's listed total GPA, or the "range" listed for McGill. I'm not sure how this data was compiled either but based on this likely outdated chart, there are schools that on occasion take a 15. The minimum appears to be anywhere from a 12-18 with most of the schools cutting off around 15-17. Retaking for an 18 (the mean for test-takers in 2009) would open a lot more doors for you in terms of the likelihood of getting an interview. I think it's a serious gamble to apply with a 15. I was sweating bullets all cycle until my husband told me to apply to NYU in December. While that worked out for me, I wouldn't suggest doing things the way I did.

Attachments

• dentalschool_scores.pdf
    11.3 KB · Views: 108