MD Will adcom overlook a bad psych/soc score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y

Yankees2519

3.93 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, white, non-traditional (30 years old) with good experience and a good story to tell.

MCAT:
chem/phys- 127 (79%)
CARS- 128 (87%)
bio/biochem- 129 (93%)
psych/soc- 123 (32%)
total- 507

thoughts on applying MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Just as a rough exercise a 32nd percentile converts to around a 7 on the old scale. Obviously there was never an old psych/soc section but it gives you an idea of what your score entails.

Yes it will hurt. How much? There's no good answer. There is no question people have gotten into MD schools with 7 subsections(unhooked ones). The fact you have a 4.0 science GPA helps your cause and if your story is found to be unique and impactful like I'm guessing you are hoping it is that will help your cause alot also. Give it a go and see what happens; obviously the AAMC chart has limitations( the fact you are a non-trad and have a low subsection being 2 clear variables that chart can't account for) but historically a decent proportion of 3.95/30 applicants have gotten into MD schools in the past. Any specific answer beyond that is hard to give. What you can say is it is in your best interest to apply broadly. Also if you are from one of the lucky states that will help your cause alot.

It might perhaps be possible some ADCOMs might cut some applicants a little more slack on a poor psych/soc subsection than a poor subsection in another area given how new it is(and how ADCOMs are still trying to figure out to interpret it as Goro and others have said) but that is pure speculation and could easily be completely false.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the encouragement. I've sent my application out to 4 schools that I think I have a fair shot at getting an interview at. If I have to I will re-take the MCAT and reapply more broadly next year.

Also, what exactly do you mean by 'unhooked ones'?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement. I've sent my application out to 4 schools that I think I have a fair shot at getting an interview at. If I have to I will re-take the MCAT and reapply more broadly next year.

Also, what exactly do you mean by 'unhooked ones'?

People who aren't URMs or have family members that donated millions to the school or some other form of strong legacy. Another example is military veterans or those with truly substantial exempellary EC involvement(the type that ADCOMs see only a handful of times an app cycle).

Sometimes you have to apply with the app you have, warts and all, and see how the app cycle shakes out.

You'll have more luck with DO schools than MD with a 507 score.

3.93 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, white, non-traditional (30 years old) with good experience and a good story to tell.

MCAT:
chem/phys- 127 (79%)
CARS- 128 (87%)
bio/biochem- 129 (93%)
psych/soc- 123 (32%)
total- 507

thoughts on applying MD?

Sometimes you have to apply with the app you have, warts and all, and see how the app cycle shakes out.

You'll have more luck with DO schools than MD with a 507 score.

That's kind of how I see things too Goro, Ill cross my fingers and see what happens. I have a pretty good relationship with my state school (UCONN), which I discussed in the work/experiences section. Ive also met the assistant dean of admissions there, who said that they really like to see applicants with life experiences. I hope that they read my personal statement before clicking next.

Reactions: 1 user