Will AMCAS allow to update the incomplete courses after verification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meddesire

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the instruction manual, it states:

AMCAS will not change or correct:  Current coursework  Course Name and or Number  Incomplete Courses  Deferred Grades  The designation of the Honors type  Any other section or items in your application; i.e.: high school graduation, essay, biographical, employment, activity, school designations, test scores/dates, etc.

So does it mean that AMCAS will not update the grade of incomplete courses? What if I get the score for those courses later on?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you have already been verified, AMCAS will not update your primary. You may update individual schools with your grades if they accept updates. You will end up sending all your final transcripts to the school you will be matriculating at

So my incomplete grade (IN) was already converted to NG (No Grade) so it would not affect my overall GPA and future GPA. It will be changed to another grade in the next semester once I complete the course. So:
1. How could I report this in AMCAS application? Is there a "No Grade" option in the application?
2. How would Adcoms look at IN vs. NG? Which one is worse?

Members don't see this ad :)
On the AMCAS, you should put whatever it says on the official transcript that the AMCAS has to look at. Does it say "IN" or "NG"? Put whatever it says.

If you want to live very dangerously, you can put "NG" even though the transcript says "IN". I am not sure whether that is very dangerous or only slightly dangerous.

The thing you are SUPPOSED to do is very obvious, you are supposed to type exactly what it says on your official transcript.

On the AMCAS, you should put whatever it says on the official transcript that the AMCAS has to look at. Does it say "IN" or "NG"? Put whatever it says.

If you want to live very dangerously, you can put "NG" even though the transcript says "IN". I am not sure whether that is very dangerous or only slightly dangerous.

The thing you are SUPPOSED to do is very obvious, you are supposed to type exactly what it says on your official transcript.

Why is NG more dangerous???

I submitted my transcript in the last week with the IN grade. I also put in the application with the IN grade too. But it will be updated to be NG in the next week. So I'm considering if I should submit another updated transcript? Because both of them will not count toward final GPA. What will Adcoms think if it is NG vs. IN?

They are not going to spend time thinking about it.

I mean which one is worse? Do they have the same meaning?
My teacher just basically wanna put it as an incomplete course, but found out IN will affect my overall GPA, whereas NG won't.
But Idk the actually meaning difference between the two is? Would having a NG in the transcript look worse than having an IN? Why??

I mean which one is worse? Do they have the same meaning?
My teacher just basically wanna put it as an incomplete course, but found out IN will affect my overall GPA, whereas NG won't.
But Idk the actually meaning difference between the two is? Would having a NG in the transcript look worse than having an IN? Why??
First off, a microanalysis of your transcript is less likely if you have decent GPAs overall, anyway. If the marking is noticed, it will be interpreted according to that adcomm's experience and background, considering that there are many such nonstandard abbreviations, and they mean different things depending on institution.

As an example, at my university, it isn't rare to see these deferred or non-grade indications for research credits or multi-term projects. Say a student works in the same lab with the same PI for multiple terms: it's possible no grade will be assigned for any of the terms until the total experience is complete. Incompletes can also be given when legitimate reasons are present for deferring completion of grade requirements, eg for illness or other approved absence from campus for a period of time.

So I don't put any energy into interpreting these markings. I'd far rather worry about why an applicant's usage, punctuation, and spelling are nonstandard.