Will AMCAS Recalculate GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trakkie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-trad who graduated from college many years ago. My post-bacc GPA for my pre-reqs is good. But something from my undergrad years is coming back to haunt me and I was wondering if there was anything I could do about it.

When I was in undergrad, I had no interest in being in medicine and my school had a science with lab gen ed requirement. I took a bio class at a college in my home town, because my school allowed this, and calculated grades from other schools as Pass/Fail. However, the actual school gave me an actual grade - a C+. At the time, this was 100% fine with me as I just needed to pass. Now, AMCAS is entering this into my GPA, which is really pulling down my science GPA since I haven't taken many science classes beyond the pre-reqs.

Is there anything I can do here? The class is noted as Pass/Fail on my degree-granting institution's transcript. If I call AMCAS and talk to them about the situation is there any chance it will be removed, or is this just their policy? And will schools actually take the time to look at my transcript and realize that one bad class was taken 10 years ago, or do they run applications through a general GPA filter before even looking at them more closely?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a non-trad who graduated from college many years ago. My post-bacc GPA for my pre-reqs is good. But something from my undergrad years is coming back to haunt me and I was wondering if there was anything I could do about it.

When I was in undergrad, I had no interest in being in medicine and my school had a science with lab gen ed requirement. I took a bio class at a college in my home town, because my school allowed this, and calculated grades from other schools as Pass/Fail. However, the actual school gave me an actual grade - a C+. At the time, this was 100% fine with me as I just needed to pass. Now, AMCAS is entering this into my GPA, which is really pulling down my science GPA since I haven't taken many science classes beyond the pre-reqs.

Is there anything I can do here? The class is noted as Pass/Fail on my degree-granting institution's transcript. If I call AMCAS and talk to them about the situation is there any chance it will be removed, or is this just their policy? And will schools actually take the time to look at my transcript and realize that one bad class was taken 10 years ago, or do they run applications through a general GPA filter before even looking at them more closely?

If there's a C+ on your transcript, you'll have a C+ on your AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgot to address your other question. If you have a C+ in a sea of A's, nobody is going to care. Even moreso if that C+ is 10 years old.

Like others have said, there is nothing you can do. If you received a C+ at an American institution, it will be calculated into your AMCAS GPA. However, there is no reason to worry. No one cares about a single C+ taken 10 years ago, so long as you have plenty of good grades to demonstrate that said C+ is an abnormality.