Will an EC activity seem meaningful enough if I started just this month?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

I am referring to the 2017-2018 cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In all reality, it will be as meaningful as you make it. If you're engaged in the tutoring, passionate about what you're doing, and can express the challenges you've faced/lessons you've learned coherently in writing, I think doing it for the next 6 months could potentially be meaningful.

That being said, I really hope you do enjoy the work that you don't. I discourage doing something just to check off a box on a pre-med list; life is short and we shouldn't shortchange ourselves. The point of these EC's, especially ones that are not clinically relevant, is to help show that 1) you can handle different responsibilities at the same time and 2) help gain the skills/competencies they want out of a future med student. What do you like to do and what does it say about you as a person? How will you deal with challenges? In these EC's, what was your role and what did you learn about others/yourself? How did this activity move you forward in your decision to pursue medicine? Etc etc.

Bottom line, don't worry about how it will look. If you want to do it because you love tutoring and can write about it later, do it. Length of time is not a pre-req for "meaningful". Top example that comes to mind is very intensive and transformative summer experiences. Some people come back from spending 3 months abroad with a whole new life outlook. :D

Reactions: 1 user
I am referring to the 2017-2018 cycle
If you start now, you'd have nearly ~7 months of tutoring by the time you fill out your application, so it has the potential to qualify as a Most Meaningful (AMCAS) experience. Some folks find that a two-week intense experience transforms their thinking. It isn't a matter of whether the adcomm will feel it is sufficiently long-term to be meaningful, but rather, how it affects you and how you express that impact that counts.

Reactions: 1 users
If you start now, you'd have nearly ~7 months of tutoring by the time you fill out your application, so it has the potential to qualify as a Most Meaningful (AMCAS) experience. Some folks find that a two-week intense experience transforms their thinking. It isn't a matter of whether the adcomm will feel it is sufficiently long-term to be meaningful, but rather, how it affects you and how you express that impact that counts.

I think you're right. Especially since tutoring isn't one of the essential EC's like clinical volunteering is.

I think you're right. Especially since tutoring isn't one of the essential EC's like clinical volunteering is.
0 clinical volunteering hours here, interviewed at two top tier schools and 4 strong ones so far