Will applying to dually accredited FM residencies in the DO match increase my chances of acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SFO-IST

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the surface, it would seem that applying to dually accredited (AOA/ACGME) programs would improve my chances, since I'll be in two matches. But from a practical standpoint, is that really how it plays out? Wouldn't dually accredited programs just make one big list and rank all applicants, DO and MD on that list? My number one program is dually accredited and only matched about 20% of their spots from the DO match. It almost seems like they cherry pick the stellar applicants from the DO match and then the "real" match is the ACGME match. My other choices are a mix of dually accredited or ACGME only sites. So am I better served to only enter in the ACGME match or should I enter both matches?

Can people in dually accredited programs confirm?

Members don't see this ad.

On the surface, it would seem that applying to dually accredited (AOA/ACGME) programs would improve my chances, since I'll be in two matches. But from a practical standpoint, is that really how it plays out? Wouldn't dually accredited programs just make one big list and rank all applicants, DO and MD on that list? My number one program is dually accredited and only matched about 20% of their spots from the DO match. It almost seems like they cherry pick the stellar applicants from the DO match and then the "real" match is the ACGME match. My other choices are a mix of dually accredited or ACGME only sites. So am I better served to only enter in the ACGME match or should I enter both matches?

Can people in dually accredited programs confirm?

I'm not in a usually accredited program but I applied to many this year and asked a similar question...what I gathered is it all depends on the program. Some set aside X number of spots as AOA spots that they will fill from the AOA match and if there are unfilled spots they roll into the ACGME match. Others said they have X number of spots but will only rank the number of AOA applicants they want, ie only 3 DOs in the AOA match they wants as residents so they rank 3 spots and those 3 people.
Again, I got different answers from different programs, the overarching gist I got was if I was a good applicant id probably land a spot either way and as my list was both dual and acgme o my programs I was planning on skipping the AOA match...but I matched a military residency before both of those so I didn't get to see how it played out.
I wiuld directly ask the program(s) youre interested in and see what they say.

I go to a MD/DO dually accredited Family Medicine program. Ranking depends on the program. Some programs accept DOs ONLY via the AOA match (most common), and others will accept them from either matches. So, if we had 10 spots per year, 5 may go to DOs and 5 to MDs. So, it really depends on the program.

The advantage of being a DO comes into play if you are applying to programs that accept both matches. Then, in a sense, you are able to "double dip" or get 2 shots at your top choice.

But here's my advice: If you are applying to a dual DO/MD program and it is your #1 choice, consider making it your ONLY choice when you do the DO match. Then, if you don't match, you have another shot rather than taking your #2.

Members don't see this ad :)
One program who was dually accredited told me they always took one or two from the AOA match. Another once said they only ranked ppl in the DO match if they were in the top number of spots they had overall ( ie if they take 8 and I was in their top 8 of anyone they'd rank me in the DO match).

The programs I applied to all worked something like this:
10 spots : 4 DO 6 MD
Would rank to fill the four spots in the DO match and try to fill.
Whatever did not fill rolled over to the MD match where they would maher one giant rank list regardless of DO or MD.
There is one program here in Chicago which does not take DOs thru the MD match but they were the only one I ran into like that.
A program director told me they interview 3-4 per spot in the DO match vs 7-8 per spot in the MD match
Hindsight being 20/20 I wished I had ranked more programs in the DO match as I think I shot myself in the foot. I am thrilled where I ended up but it still kinda stings I had to SOAP

My experience in 2013 was similar to mom2three. However, I matched at my #1 with lower stats and fewer interviews than mommy2three. I think match has gotten more compatitive, exp for family medicine. I agree with what she said about dual programs. Your chances as a DO are higher if you go for the DO match. One of the dual programs actually told me this, verbatim.