Will be D1 in 2 months, broke my arm, advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arti Mistry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for some opinions of current D1s. I will be a first year dental student in August and I unfortunately broke my arm last month. I'm expected to make a full recovery and should have a good amount of my hand function back by the time August comes around. Obviously I won't be able to lift 60 pounds on the arm but I will be back to normal over time. My question to you is how difficult was your first year lab work? In your opinion would your professors be accommodating to a person in my position? The school I am attending has given me the option of deferring my admission for one year. However I have already taking a gap year and so am not interested in taking another. I understand that some programs might be different but if you could use your best judgment and opinion in advising me what would be best I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

also going to be a D1 and sprained my right (dominant) thumb and wrist. Was told that we don't really start lab/clinical stuff until the 2nd 9 weeks of school so i felt that it was sufficient time for me to recover. Ask your school what their curriculum set up is like.

Reactions: 1 user
depends on the school. at my school we were waxing up for the first 3 weeks or so and then picked up a drill. you should be o.k. but just let them know about your condition anyway. next time be careful because your career depends on the function of your arms and hands.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine. Even if you get into waxing day one, all you need to do is hold an instrument like a pencil and move it. Don't gap year over this one. Waxing would actually be pretty good rehab. I have plates and screws in my dominant hand and pulled an A. I think you'd regret it come August if you held back.

Reactions: 1 users
Pop a Senzu bean

You'll be fine. Even if you get into waxing day one, all you need to do is hold an instrument like a pencil and move it. Don't gap year over this one. Waxing would actually be pretty good rehab. I have plates and screws in my dominant hand and pulled an A. I think you'd regret it come August if you held back.
Just curious was there anything else that you found difficult in lab because of your hand injury?

my regards to you,

but lol, if i got accepted, i would go to school no matter what... considering the torture of getting in, a broken bone is nothing...

Just curious was there anything else that you found difficult in lab because of your hand injury?
Not at all. It's all about establishing the finger rest and everything else falls into place as far as dexterity goes.