Will being a teacher hurt/help my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tam0026

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-- I just joined, and am addicted to this website/forum.
Question: after my first year out of college, i took a teaching job (this is before i applied for dental schools). Do u think this will help/hurt me? Would i be better off workign in a dental office?

Members don't see this ad.

It can be an asset. Talk about the leadership skills, communicational skills, responsability that you've gained as a teacher. A lot of people take jobs working in a dentist's office... not too many work as a teacher. It will make you stand out, and you can relate the skills you developed as a teacher to skills that are necessary to be a good dentist.

With that said, be sure to shadow several dentists during your year off.

tam0026 said:
Hey all-- I just joined, and am addicted to this website/forum.
Question: after my first year out of college, i took a teaching job (this is before i applied for dental schools). Do u think this will help/hurt me? Would i be better off workign in a dental office?

Leading our youth to better and brighter tommorrow, looks favorably in the eyes of adcomms. Most people realize that the toughest jobs out there are teaching.

I would think that if you hinted at the idea of becoming an academic dentist (teacher) you would be in for sure. You definetly walk the walk and can talk the talk.

HD

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would only be an asset. I shadowed a dentist who was an education major...he's a great dentist, very thorough in communicating with his patients. Good luck!!!!

As someone pointed out on an earlier thread... him/her being a RDH did very little for her during her application cycle... just being a Dental ASSistant doesn't make you a better candidate... more or less... teaching is an excellent past experience... think about it... be creative in why it would benefit you in your career as a dentist... dentist... aka dental educators to society... yada yada yada... personally... i've been tutoring and substituting for the past couple of years... this was after working in dental office and biotech company.... but i'm happy... I love teaching... the power... the control :D ... to add to my work experience... I just got this job at Gillette Stadium... now I get to watch football live.... the icing on top would be an acceptance letter on Dec. 1st on the dot!

boogaking said:
As someone pointed out on an earlier thread... him/her being a RDH did very little for her during her application cycle... just being a Dental ASSistant doesn't make you a better candidate... more or less... teaching is an excellent past experience... think about it... be creative in why it would benefit you in your career as a dentist... dentist... aka dental educators to society... yada yada yada... personally... i've been tutoring and substituting for the past couple of years... this was after working in dental office and biotech company.... but i'm happy... I love teaching... the power... the control :D ... to add to my work experience... I just got this job at Gillette Stadium... now I get to watch football live.... the icing on top would be an acceptance letter on Dec. 1st on the dot!

I think it is a very good asset to have and here is why....

My friend that got into Harvard Dental School gave me this advice. She told me that if you are ever thinking of teaching dentistry at the end of your career or as a career after dental school, definitely mention it in the interview. She told me that there is going to be a shortage of dental professors in the future and schools realize this. If you happen to mention in the interview that you would like to someday teach at a dental university, you have the credibility that you really do enjoy teaching since you were already one. This can really help you be a stronger candidate in my opinion....

Good Luck!

"going to be a shortage" ???

there already is!

Generallee said:
I think it is a very good asset to have and here is why....

My friend that got into Harvard Dental School gave me this advice. She told me that if you are ever thinking of teaching dentistry at the end of your career or as a career after dental school, definitely mention it in the interview. She told me that there is going to be a shortage of dental professors in the future and schools realize this. If you happen to mention in the interview that you would like to someday teach at a dental university, you have the credibility that you really do enjoy teaching since you were already one. This can really help you be a stronger candidate in my opinion....

Good Luck!