Will doing neurology research during my undergrad benefit me during medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chelsearose174

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been doing hypoxia research, and I'm guaranteed a letter of recommendation from my PI. I was offered position in another lab doing research on the physiological mechanisms behind addiction, but I already have lab experience and I don't need any more letters of rec. Should I work in both labs, or should I continue with hypoxia research and do more volunteer work.

Also, will doing neurology research in my undergrad get me into a better lab while medical school? Also, would having a neurology research background help me while applying for anesthesiology residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Residencies likely won't care about undergrad research. Most research opportunities in med school don't care about your undergrad research. You meet with an attending/fellow/resident, they tell you what they do, and they ask if you want to work on it with them. I would stick with what you're doing and do volunteer work, unless the addiction research interests you more.

Edit: As far as anesthesia residencies caring about neurology research specifically, I don't know. I would assume some anesthesia > some research > no research.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you yelling?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Residencies likely won't care about undergrad research. Most research opportunities in med school don't care about your undergrad research. You meet with an attending/fellow/resident, they tell you what they do, and they ask if you want to work on it with them. I would stick with what you're doing and do volunteer work, unless the addiction research interests you more.

Edit: As far as anesthesia residencies caring about neurology research specifically, I don't know. I would assume some anesthesia > some research > no research.

Thank you so much! That was perfect :)