will ERAS tip off my current program director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triathlondoc12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Morning: I am an intern in one specialty who is applying through ERAS for a different specialty this application cycle. I'm filling out the application, and it asks for my medical training of which i'm entering my current residency. It asks for my Program director's name as well as my Supervisor. I'm wondering who to put for my supervisor? Also, will listing my Program Director's name in any way flag to them that I am applying through ERAS? for example: will it send them an alert ? (I don't know how this works and want to take precautions). Obviously I plan on telling my current PD of my plans around the end of August or September. Any recommendations on when to go about doing this or what all is going to be flagged to them? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Good Morning: I am an intern in one specialty who is applying through ERAS for a different specialty this application cycle. I'm filling out the application, and it asks for my medical training of which i'm entering my current residency. It asks for my Program director's name as well as my Supervisor. I'm wondering who to put for my supervisor? Also, will listing my Program Director's name in any way flag to them that I am applying through ERAS? for example: will it send them an alert ? (I don't know how this works and want to take precautions). Obviously I plan on telling my current PD of my plans around the end of August or September. Any recommendations on when to go about doing this or what all is going to be flagged to them? Thanks so much!
I put the program coordinator/secretary in as supervisor. I have no idea if it alerts the PD if you put them, but I doubt it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I will list the same. Any ideas for what to put in the "Reason for leaving" comment field ? b/c technically I am still active in the program and fully intend on staying and finishing my intern year at least- if not longer in case I decide not to re-match.

I was under the impression, and someone else can correct me, that if you are currently in a residency program, you should have some sort of letter from your PD saying that you are in good standing and whatnot. That would imply that you should tell your PD sooner, rather than later.

ERAS does not send me an email when my residents start typing my name into that field.

It is considered very bad form to apply without notifying your PD. My experience is that almost ALL PDs' first question to you will be - "saw your application, please have your PD send me an email stating they support you moving/changing etc."

Just like you don't want your first phone call to the family of a critically ill person to be "I was going to call you sooner, but got busy/decided to wait and now it turns out that Grandma is dead", you don't want your first convo with your current PD to be "I have this offer in Chicago...."

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with above that you need to be above-board with your current PD on this. While it's certainly true that this conversation is going to be extremely awkward, being up front about your intentions (while continuing to work your butt off day in and day out at your current program) gives you your best chance to have a positive endorsement from your current program.

of course I would do nothing but be up front with my PD. would it be appropriate to go to them around the first of sept and tell them of my intentions in a polite way, and also say to them that I understand that this may or may not work out, but would appreciate their recommendation ? would it be a good idea to ask them for a LOR at that time just to have in ERAS b/c i'll prob need to forward it to programs anyways ? thanks

talk to them before ERAS
you can't "sneak" match or transfer somewhere geez
you can try to figure out a swap in secret and spring that on them
or put out careful feelers on a transfer

but better to see how they take this news before you spend the ERAS match money
and have you thought about what you're going to do to go on interviews while being an intern at the same time?
it takes a village to raise and intern, and for that intern to leave the village for even a day
you're going to need their letter, better to do this now in case they want to drag their feet on the letter

also, I would be sure that you intend to leave this program, because once you've raised the issue, you may never be looked at the same way again
and there will be some flack from anyone that knows you are leaving if you're categorical which Im assuming you are
or worse, they may try to pre-emptively lose you at a convenient time for them
once you raise the traitorous flag, they may start looking and hiring your replacement before you've secured another position
you could find yourself on your ass with nothing

don't do anything weird, maybe look up @Doctor4Life1769 and chat him up

and this:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/my-experience-switching-residencies.1127164/

and my motto: handle PDs with kid gloves, do not go to their office ever if you can help it, but also don't avoid the inevitable

I have not once said, or even remotely implied, that i was going to try and sneak anything. i've been extremely clear about how I plan to go above and beyond to approach this in the most careful and honest way. I am asking questions on this forum to prepare myself for the situation, like I feel any educated would in this circumstance. I understand that it's a very unfortunate situation to be in, but I also don't think that it's something that should inhibit someone from pursuing something they feel is in their best interest long term. Certainly it isn't the first time someone has changed their mind on a specialty and gone about the process, and it certainly won't be the last. Deciding and committing to a specialty at the end of your third year of medical school is not an easy decision, and I feel that I, and many others, made the best decision one could make given the limited information and limited time.