Will have to reapply, gap year suggestion with high GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ldesczi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 3.9 gpa, excellent ECs, LORs, research publication etc. I haven't taken any science courses (or any for that matter) in last few years since graduation and was thinking it'll be advantageous to take biochem/immunology/micro and such next year so would you suggest a formal post-bacc program? I know it's anywhere from $20-40k for a program but only reason I'm considering it is mostly to figure out my study habit, build confidence, and start taking rigorous science course loads to kind of "get back into the game" as I've been off of school for 2+ years now (and also to get out of my parents' house attachFull188675).

I have been doing full-time research this year. I did apply to med schools this cycle and pretty sure won't get anywhere because of extremely poor mcat score (which I'll work on and fix it by May 2015).

Thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-19_11-51-28.png
    upload_2015-1-19_11-51-28.png
    95 bytes · Views: 99
Very few, if any, science course loads will prepare you for medical school as far as study habits and confidence. I really don't see any reason to take additional courses with a 3.9. What are your ECs? Try to find a job ASAP as a scribe (or another entry level position) in a hospital to add clinical experience and probably an additional LOR (particularly from a physician). They pay awfully and the actual work is tedious, but this is probably one of the top ECs out there, not to mention the LOR, while actually being in a hospital and experiencing patient care and clinical decision making firsthand is much more valuable than a few extra science courses once you start medical school. Better experience + earning ~ $20k vs. worse experience + spending $20k-40k. Best of luck, whatever you decide.

If money is not a problem, definitely follow above poster's suggestions. I would suggest working as an ER scribe part-time, picking up some shadowing or medically related experience or continuing your current research position part-time if you could get a publication. All the same time studying for MCAT. A good MCAT (i.e. 30+, or the equivalent percentile in the new MCAT) coupled with your stellar GPA and potentially satisfactory ECs will most likely guarantee you interviews in the upcoming cycle.

Work on your EC, get your MCAT score up and apply early. Taking more classes wont do you much good because you already have a super super solid GPA. I would focus on your MCAT and EC from now until may, take your MCAT in may or June, work hard on getting your and secondaries in early this summer, and in the fall take a few science classes that you can use as updates during interview season.