Will having social anxiety disorder be a problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Symmetry11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I get terribly nervous when I give public speeches and speak to authority figures like professors and doctors, sometimes. I am on medications for my condition, but i still experience symptoms to some degree which doesn't allow me to clearly express myself because im so nervous. Does medical school require giving speeches to large groups of people and being able to consistently socialize in a normal way with fellow med students and professors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a med student, but I think it's safe to say that medical students, and most healthcare personal, will be in near constant social interaction with people of all types, education levels and administrative standing. Speeches? I'm not sure. Unless perhaps you have to present something.

You will most likely have to give presentations, present patients and talk with attendings. The size of the group will depend on your medical school. You will be taking to patients a lot as well. You should consider taking a public speaking class (I would do it pass/fail of you have the option). Also, if it is severe enough to need meds, you may consider seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist.

Members don't see this ad :)
MMI is basically a presentation of your thoughts on the scenarios to doctors on the adcom

So I get terribly nervous when I give public speeches and speak to authority figures like professors and doctors, sometimes. I am on medications for my condition, but i still experience symptoms to some degree which doesn't allow me to clearly express myself because im so nervous. Does medical school require giving speeches to large groups of people and being able to consistently socialize in a normal way with fellow med students and professors.

You may have to give speeches to large groups of people at least a few times during medical school. You will absolutely have to socialize with fellow med students and attending physicians. If the medications have not helped you, it might be advisable to consider a different career. As a third and fourth-year medical student, and as a practicing physician, you will be required to interact with people for the majority of the day. Medicine simply might not be for you.

Hope that helps.

-Bill

You know, I have Asperger's, so I understand social anxiety to some extent.

There was a point where I would stutter in front of people to the point where I could barely eke out sentences when giving presentations.

Believe it or not, I found I was the most comfortable with presenting research. I know for certain I know what I'm talking about, which alleviates my anxiety in my case. It still didn't feel like playing with puppies or anything, but I could give a smooth presentation to 30 people, including library staff and faculty.

If you are to the point where you refuse to express yourself, or that you lock up in social situations, you'll want to talk to a doctor and perhaps get your medication reevaluated. You may be at the point where you couldn't imagine yourself being social, in which case I would implore you to shadow other professionals and truly reflect on if you would be okay with being in that position or not.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
This is a constant worry of mine. I've struggled with anxiety (diagnosed with social anxiety disorder as a child) and I feel like that will be my biggest weakness.

I have friends that gently push me past my comfort zone in social situations, and it has helped tremendously. Take baby steps and do your best to deal with your anxiety. It's hard, but it can be managed. I've been working at this for about four years, and in combination with my anxiety medication, I feel like most people wouldn't know I have a history of pretty severe social anxiety disorder.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I know someone who has had great relief of his symptoms through cognitive-behavioral therapy (plus medication).
Look into your options - maybe your school offers such counseling.

I know someone who has had great relief of his symptoms through cognitive-behavioral therapy (plus medication).
Look into your options - maybe your school offers such counseling.

1000 times this. Social anxiety is surprisingly common and very amenable to treatment. If you find that you're unable to get a hang of your symptoms and they're continuing to interfere with your life, see a doctor about it.

At my school, students have to present to groups of anywhere from 10-40+. Try taking some drama, acting or debating coursework.

Does medical school require giving speeches to large groups of people and being able to consistently socialize in a normal way with fellow med students and professors.

I imagine it would be a very stressful and anxious life as a physician with a social anxiety disorder, since being a physician requires lots of human contact and communication. There are not an abundance of jobs out there without the 'social element,' though. Maybe it's not the best choice for someone with a social anxiety disorder, but if you have medications and coping strategies that work, you may be able to fare okay. I just think it might be really stressful. Why are you interested in medicine? Are there other jobs out there where you could get the same things you're looking for that don't conflict with your social anxiety disorder? It might be good if you could find a physician with a social anxiety disorder who could give you some advice.