Will I be a terrible doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishieFDR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I eat anything I want and never exercise. I don't see the point in volunteering 5 hours at a hospital when 1 hour of work gets done. I can't get out of bed early unless I have school or work. I have no discipline whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats your GPA?

what is your science gpa?

The only reason you made this post is so someone could tell you to not pursue medical school, giving you permission to do something else with your life.

Reactions: 2 users
The only reason you made this post is so someone could tell you to not pursue medical school, giving you permission to do something else with your life.
No... just legitimately worried

Even if you're trolling, you asked a great question. The answer is, you won't be a terrible doctor, because you won't be a doctor.

I eat anything I want and never exercise. I don't see the point in volunteering 5 hours at a hospital when 1 hour of work gets done. I can't get out of bed early unless I have school or work. I have no discipline whatsoever.
You may or may not be a terrible doctor, but without discipline, you *will* be a terrible applicant.

Reactions: 44 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a ton of lazy people in med school brah

Reactions: 1 users
I will be disciplined as ****... starting tomorrow.

Even if you're trolling, you asked a great question. The answer is, you won't be a terrible doctor, because you won't be a doctor.

I love when you get snarky, Goro.

Reactions: 1 user
Why does it seems that all these new members we have these days are just really unimaginative trolls?

Why does it seems that all these new members we have these days are just really unimaginative trolls?
I'm really not trolling though. I'm a low GPA premed student that has no discipline. Thought I did in high school, but was just as lazy then and pretended to work hard.

I can kinda relate to you- I'm incredibly lazy myself- I don't study at all but I've never found school particularly difficult so I've been doing ok. I've heard medical school is a totally different beast however, so I'm working on my study habits among other things. I want to be a doctor so bad- that's what drives me to change my ways. If you don't have that strong desire to be a physician I'd encourage you to explore other options; maybe you'll stumble upon something you'll take a liking to

I can kinda relate to you- I'm incredibly lazy myself- I don't study at all but I've never found school particularly difficult so I've been doing ok. I've heard medical school is a totally different beast however, so I'm working on my study habits among other things. I want to be a doctor so bad- that's what drives me to change my ways. If you don't have that strong desire to be a physician I'd encourage you to explore other options; maybe you'll stumble upon something you'll take a liking to
Thanks, I'm going to give it one serious try though before I start seriously looking at other majors/careers. I've looked well into my current major career options and I haven't found anything I would love as much. I've done research, shadowed, volunteered, but grades is what I'm lacking so far.

I'm really not trolling though. I'm a low GPA premed student that has no discipline. Thought I did in high school, but was just as lazy then and pretended to work hard.
Yes you are, but as I pointed out, you aren't very good at it.

In the unlikely even that you are in fact a struggling college student, you need to find help with your school's academic success center. You also need to find the motivation to be your best. Make laziness your enemy.

Yes you are, but as I pointed out, you aren't very good at it.

In the unlikely even that you are in fact a struggling college student, you need to find help with your school's academic success center. You also need to find the motivation to be your best. Make laziness your enemy.
I am struggling, I was the best in some classes freshman year and as the material got harder, I did worse. Thanks, hopefully this summer I will. I wish my school had an academic success center.

yea you're done

Vintage #Goroed

Troll.. but OP does play a good stereotypical Ivy League student.

Good lord, I think even I just got a first degree burn just reading this.

Reactions: 5 users
How the hell do I dig myself out of this hole?

If you're serious about this, find out why you are unmotivated and correct it. This might require more investment in your social circle or seeing a counselor. It's hard to say without more information.

If you're serious about this, find out why you are unmotivated and correct it. This might require more investment in your social circle or seeing a counselor. It's hard to say without more information.
I'm pretty motivated when it comes to EC's because it's transparent. Studying is so foreign to me and I haven't seen great outcomes when I did. Hopefully I can figure it out this summer.

I'm pretty motivated when it comes to EC's because it's transparent. Studying is so foreign to me and I haven't seen great outcomes when I did. Hopefully I can figure it out this summer.

How does studying not work for you? Are you incapable of learning? You mean your current method of studying doesn't work for you. Find another way.

You go to an ivy and don't have an academic help center? I just googled 10+ ivies and they all had something.

ivy league to barista :cryi: come on that was my high school job

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary. Or if you have a large trust fund if you want to bend the definition of success.

You said you go to an Ivy, right? That suggests that your high school studying habits weren't abysmal. Remember what you did then? Expand on it to adapt to your new environment. Learning is most effective when you're building off of previous work -- a learning scaffold if you will.

How do you study now? How much time per week? Per class? Before an exam? What are your methods for studying (do you go to class regularly? do you read the chapters ahead of time or after lecture? do you take notes in lecture? do you take notes from the text outside of lecture? do you utilize flashcards/Anki/etc.? how many practice problems do you do? do you go see the TA/professor during office hours when you're struggling? do you study in a group? individually?)? The answers to these questions will help us to analyze where improvements can be made in your studying habits.

Also, this repetitive post reminded me of this song:

Edit: word choice

Yes, but it's not more helpful than a Google search that I've done.

Well I googled the ivies and random other state schools and they all had some sort of center. If all else fails there is counseling or help from an adviser.

You said you go to an Ivy, right? That suggests that your high school studying habits weren't abysmal. Remember what you did then? Expand on it to adapt to your new environment. Learning is most effective when you're building off of previous work -- a learning scaffold if youhelp will.

How do you study now? How much time per week? Per class? Before an exam? What are your methods for studying (do you go to class regularly? do you read the chapters ahead of time or after lecture? do you take notes in lecture? do you take notes from the text outside of lecture? do you utilize flashcards/Anki/etc.? how many practice problems do you do? do you go see the TA/professor during office hours when you're struggling? do you study in a group? individually?)? The answers to these questions will
us to analyze where improvements can be made in your studying habits?

Also, this repetitive post reminded me of this song:

Edit: word choice

In high school I did the homework based on what we learned in class. I don't even remember using a textbook for anything but the problems at the end of the chapter.
I do homework for about 3 hours a day and don't study much. I understand everything I read in the book and I move on. I know this is my weakness but it's part of the "transparency" issue I have. I don't know what to study besides lecture notes and the book. I have a pretty photographic memory and cramming before classes got me through in high school.

Did they build new ones? :p

People often lump non-Ivy presigious schools in there like Stanford. To a lot of people (most people?) Ivy = prestigious, rather than college sports league of little import.

Reactions: 1 users
People often lump non-Ivy presigious schools in there like Stanford. To a lot of people (most people?) Ivy = prestigious, rather than college sports league of little import.
I don't go to no bush league