Will I be a terrible doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I eat anything I want and never exercise. I don't see the point in volunteering 5 hours at a hospital when 1 hour of work gets done. I can't get out of bed early unless I have school or work. I have no discipline whatsoever.
Hmmm, pathology or radiology is for you. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you're trolling, you asked a great question. The answer is, you won't be a terrible doctor, because you won't be a doctor.

Kevin-Garnett-Reaction-at-2013-Dunk-Contest.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Even if you're trolling, you asked a great question. The answer is, you won't be a terrible doctor, because you won't be a doctor.

haha wow, dying. If Goro ran for president, I'd vote.

In high school I did the homework based on what we learned in class. I don't even remember using a textbook for anything but the problems at the end of the chapter.
I do homework for about 3 hours a day and don't study much. I understand everything I read in the book and I move on. I know this is my weakness but it's part of the "transparency" issue I have. I don't know what to study besides lecture notes and the book. I have a pretty photographic memory and cramming before classes got me through in high school.
That's all you need. Stop relying on your so-called "photographic memory".

I'll wager OP goes to Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana, and is just really confused.

Reactions: 1 users
I do homework for about 3 hours a day and don't study much. I understand everything I read in the book and I move on. I know this is my weakness but it's part of the "transparency" issue I have.

Yea, so this is problematic. Studying should be habitual. Only doing the homework won't get you very far. Reading and understanding is good, but it's only the first step. You have to solidify content by doing, as my physics professor said, 'as many problems as it takes'.

I don't know what to study besides lecture notes and the book.

As for this, you'll get different answers depending on who you talk to. My habits are as follows: (1) read the textbook chapters before lecture (if possible, sometimes I have to read the chapters later), (2) go to lecture and try to take notes on main points or things that I thought the professor emphasizes that the book did not, (3) outline the chapters with an eye towards the content that the professor emphasized in lecture, (4) do all/most practice problems from the book, (5) do any other problems assigned by the professor again (i.e., old homework problems), (6) reflect on my outlines and see if there are any gaps in my knowledge -- pound those gap areas into my head. Then before exams: (1) rewrite a condensed version of my outline for emphasis, (2) do problems, (3) any problems with which I had difficulty, do them again.

I have a pretty photographic memory and cramming before classes got me through in high school.

This won't cut it in college. Cramming is a great way to earn a 'C' on the exam! Revise your studying methods to taste to allow for thorough knowledge of the material.

By the way, if you're a troll and you made me write all this for no reason, shame...

Reactions: 1 users
Troll.. but OP does play a good stereotypical Ivy League student.

I'm sorry but this irks me. I'm not an Ivy League student but I don't get why they get stereotyped as whiny snobs. A few bad apples don't dictate. The few people I know with Ivy degrees are the most successful people I know.

Yea, so this is problematic. Studying should be habitual. Only doing the homework won't get you very far. Reading and understanding is good, but it's only the first step. You have to solidify content by doing, as my physics professor said, 'as many problems as it takes'.

As for this, you'll get different answers depending on who you talk to. My habits are as follows: (1) read the textbook chapters before lecture (if possible, sometimes I have to read the chapters later), (2) go to lecture and try to take notes on main points or things that I thought the professor emphasizes that the book did not, (3) outline the chapters with an eye towards the content that the professor emphasized in lecture, (4) do all/most practice problems from the book, (5) do any other problems assigned by the professor again (i.e., old homework problems), (6) reflect on my outlines and see if there are any gaps in my knowledge -- pound those gap areas into my head. Then before exams: (1) rewrite a condensed version of my outline for emphasis, (2) do problems, (3) any problems with which I had difficulty, do them again.

This won't cut it in college. Cramming is a great way to earn a 'C' on the exam! Revise your studying methods to taste to allow for thorough knowledge of the material.

By the way, if you're a troll and you made me write all this for no reason, shame...
Thank you! I'll try all your steps, but how on earth do you sleep?

Thank you! I'll try all your steps, but how on earth do you sleep?

Cut out distractions. Exercise so that I can focus for long periods of time. I sleep enough.

From the looks of it, you just aren't a good student. High school is easy and doesn't require much studying. Once everyone gets to college, the playing field becomes more even. The material is harder, the instructors aren't spoon feeding you material like in high school, so those who are willing to put in effort will make it on top. Those who were lucky enough to have just enough talent/good enough high school teachers to cruise high school without working hard are now out of luck.

You won't necessarily be a terrible doctor. You just have a terrible attitude towards school that needs changing. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The only reason you made this post is so someone could tell you to not pursue medical school, giving you permission to do something else with your life.

Or, on the flip side, so someone will share a tale where they had a sub par mcat score, a decent gpa, terrible ec hours (rather clinical or other), and still got accepted to a non-Caribbean school to instill a sense of hope (for however long it'll last).

No, I seriously wanted advice. Sorry I went about it the wrong way

Good *Lord, I think even I just got a first degree burn just reading this.

Don't feed trolls, right?

What if a known troll actually finds them self in want of actual advice? What was the moral of "the little boy who cried wolf?" Don't "cry wolf," right? Or was it to help regardless if wolf is cried or not in hopes of not having that little boy's fate happen irl?

I can understand not wanting to pour more petrol onto a vicious fire. By that I mean, responding to malicious attacks/threads is I'll advised. That's one thing, but this isn't that.

Why is s/he lazy? Why the lack of zeal? Why the unhealthy eating habits? Why isn't simply saying "do better" an effective enough answer in this case?

I've ran into many people who just do enough to get by. They maneuver through courses picking up points here or there which, though they may not do so well on tests, yields a B or an A in the class. Some of these people had the potential to be A students but, for some reason or another, didn't try as hard in their science courses. If I looked at their math/English/humanities/psych/etc courses I'd see mostly A's with the occasional B. Why? These people know how to study. Could it be that they're afraid to actually try to succeed in the courses that "matter?" What happens if they do try? If they study for hours, do the extra work assigned, find outside sources of information only to achieve a C or a B test-after-test? That fear can be crippling for some. Knowing that they can get an A, but that they're too lazy to can also be a damaging crutch they use to never experience the self shame of the outcome I described.

Or hey-- maybe they're just trolling and don't deserve anyone's two sense. :shrugs:

From the looks of it, you just aren't a good student. High school is easy and doesn't require much studying. Once everyone gets to college, the playing field becomes more even. The material is harder, the instructors aren't spoon feeding you material like in high school, so those who are willing to put in effort will make it on top. Those who were lucky enough to have just enough talent/good enough high school teachers to cruise high school without working hard are now out of luck.

You won't necessarily be a terrible doctor. You just have a terrible attitude towards school that needs changing. Best of luck!

I'll drink to this. In high school I got A's on every writing assignment I ever did. I thought I was a great writer. When I got to college I took English and I started getting C's and D's on timed writing assignments and B's on at home writing assignments. I thought the teacher just didn't like me so I dropped the course. I took it again and the same thing happened. I dropped it again. By the third try, with a different professor, I finally asked what I could do to improve. I found out that my writing style was too flowery. It was great for stories or poetry, but not for an argumentative essay. My thesis was defended in a very convoluted way. It wasn't until college that I had to completely re-organize the way I wrote. My best guess is that my high school teachers were impressed that I used three dollar words correctly and over looked the piss poor way I went about defending my assertions.

I agree with you @Essene but a 5 in AP Calculus and pretty much teaching the class because the teacher sucked should not translate to struggling for a B in the next level up.

To be honest, at my high school, NOT getting 5 on AP calculus was considered subpar. You need to STOP gauging your ability based on your high school days. This is the most prevalent notion that freshmen have when they don't excel in college.

To be honest, at my high school, NOT getting 5 on AP calculus was considered subpar. You need to STOP gauging your ability based on your high school days. This is the most prevalent notion that freshmen have when they don't excel in college.
Maybe I'm just not cut out for college. :confused:

No everyone is capable. You just need to stop thinking that you are special and that you will magically learn how to get As as you have done during your high school. You need to put in the time.

Last edited:
Don't feed trolls, right?

What if a known troll actually finds them self in want of actual advice? What was the moral of "the little boy who cried wolf?" Don't "cry wolf," right? Or was it to help regardless if wolf is cried or not in hopes of not having that little boy's fate happen irl?

I can understand not wanting to pour more petrol onto a vicious fire. By that I mean, responding to malicious attacks/threads is I'll advised. That's one thing, but this isn't that.

Why is s/he lazy? Why the lack of zeal? Why the unhealthy eating habits? Why isn't simply saying "do better" an effective enough answer in this case?

I've ran into many people who just do enough to get by. They maneuver through courses picking up points here or there which, though they may not do so well on tests, yields a B or an A in the class. Some of these people had the potential to be A students but, for some reason or another, didn't try as hard in their science courses. If I looked at their math/English/humanities/psych/etc courses I'd see mostly A's with the occasional B. Why? These people know how to study. Could it be that they're afraid to actually try to succeed in the courses that "matter?" What happens if they do try? If they study for hours, do the extra work assigned, find outside sources of information only to achieve a C or a B test-after-test? That fear can be crippling for some. Knowing that they can get an A, but that they're too lazy to can also be a damaging crutch they use to never experience the self shame of the outcome I described.

Or hey-- maybe they're just trolling and don't deserve anyone's two sense. :shrugs:

991736037_lol_que_large.jpg

Cliffs- some people are just scared to actually try. Failure feels a thousand times worse if you get there after legitimately trying.

What exactly does your wall of text have to do with my comment? You're saying stuff in response to my comment that doesn't really address the content of my comment. Did you mistakenly reply to my comment rather than someone else's?

What exactly does your wall of text have to do with my comment? You're saying stuff in response to my comment that doesn't really address the content of my comment. Did you mistakenly reply to my comment rather than someone else's?

No. I changed something you wrote to *Lord.

The rest was a general response to anyone besides the op.

Maybe I'm just not cut out for college. :confused:

Clearly, your innate intelligence was enough for you to excel compared to your high school classmates -- good enough to get you into a highly competitive school. You've probably grown up believing you were naturally brilliant because compared to everyone else around you, you were... But now you're in the Big Leagues. (Academically - clearly not athletically) And you're surprised to discover that you're not the smartest kid in class anymore. You're no longer able to win simply by showing up and listening. So either you learn to 'run with the big dogs' or you stay on the porch.

Can you do it? I don't know. But one thing is clear: It'll take a lot more effort than you've given it so far. Not just working harder, but also working smarter. And managing your emotions to stay focused, stay motivated, stay determined. And if you make it to medical school, you'll revisit this experience with a still-higher caliber of peers.

How bad do you want it?

Clearly, your innate intelligence was enough for you to excel compared to your high school classmates -- good enough to get you into a highly competitive school. You've probably grown up believing you were naturally brilliant because compared to everyone else around you, you were... But now you're in the Big Leagues. (Academically - clearly not athletically) And you're surprised to discover that you're not the smartest kid in class anymore. You're no longer able to win simply by showing up and listening. So either you learn to 'run with the big dogs' or you stay on the porch.

Can you do it? I don't know. But one thing is clear: It'll take a lot more effort than you've given it so far. Not just working harder, but also working smarter. And managing your emotions to stay focused, stay motivated, stay determined. And if you make it to medical school, you'll revisit this experience with a still-higher caliber of peers.

How bad do you want it?
Thanks, I shouldn't have expected to be able to do as well I did in high school with the same amount of effort. I'm a bit worried that the fact that I don't think I'm as smart as my peers will hold meback.

I'm sorry but this irks me. I'm not an Ivy League student but I don't get why they get stereotyped as whiny snobs. A few bad apples don't dictate. The few people I know with Ivy degrees are the most successful people I know.
I don't necessarily agree with the stereotypes homie. I'm just saying that what people stereotype Ivy League students to be, OP fits the bill.

Thanks, I shouldn't have expected to be able to do as well I did in high school with the same amount of effort. I'm a bit worried that the fact that I don't think I'm as smart as my peers will hold meback.

That belief can hold you back. But it can also spur you to work harder using the logic that hard work plus sufficient intelligence is a better combination than superior intelligence and insufficient effort.

That belief can hold you back. But it can also spur you to work harder using the logic that hard work plus sufficient intelligence is a better combination than superior intelligence and insufficient effort.
^Golden advice that every freshman should know.

My life.

I can't even imagine being disciplined enough to study for the MCAT. Took one of those Kaplan assessments, guess I'll just rely on that.

First off, you need to grow up and stop complaining about your problems. Looking for a pity party on the internet isn't the way get anything done, work is. Secondly, only you know how to improve you. Asking a bunch of strangers on the internet is not the way to go.
Also,
:troll:

Jesus goro! Your a man after my own heart!:claps: