Will I be fine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going into my sophomore year as a bio major with a chem minor and have decided to pursue a career in dentistry. I was wondering if I will be fine pursuing a career in dentistry.

First, I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake in choosing dentistry. I'm wondering if this is what I'll really like to do when I grow up, if my passion is high enough. Things that fascinate me include: chemistry, biology, the human body, health, fitness, mathematics, sports, and space. I have searched and searched and there is nothing that really stands out as a passion of mine for a future job; I feel like most everything I could possibly get into will feel mostly like a job to me (unless I do something ground-breaking). The most fascinating thing I can think of that I would want to do is something in the health field, because I think it is pretty interesting how all of that chemistry and biology work in such a small human body. I think it would be interesting to diagnose patients and help people live a healthy life. So, most would say, 'become a doctor.' However, this lifestyle does not appeal to me. It's at least 11 years of crazy intense schooling just so I can live a lifestyle that will feel mostly like a job in which I'll be working 40-60 hours of week... not having much time to enjoy the life I worked hard to get to live. Also, it seems as if that most doctors in today's world actually make the same or slightly less than the general dentist (unless I become some sort of specialty doctor, in which I would probably make more money (except I have to do more school, and would still be working a lot)). So, the best career I have found for me would be dentistry. Only 8 years of intense schooling, flexible hours (25-35 hours a week), I would get to deal with my fascination of human health on a daily basis, I would make my goal wage of money, I would have time to coach basketball and/or track (something I hope to do in the future), and would have time to enjoy my life. Do you think my passion is strong enough to pursue a career in dentistry? I can't really think of anything else I would rather do. It seems like a worthwhile career and good lifestyle.

Secondly, I'm wondering if my hand skills will be good enough for dental school. My handwriting is average, artistic ability is average, I don't really work with my hands that much at all.. the only things that would maybe translate to good hand skills is my good hand-eye coordination (I'm a very good athlete (I'm good at nearly every sport I try (baseball, basketball, football, ping pong, badminton, volleyball) and I'm pretty good at video games). Is hand skills really something to worry about? I've heard many people say, and seen most people say on here, that hand skills can and will be learned in dental school. Most people say that most kids can put the work in and turn out just fine with their hand skills in dental school. Do you think I will have trouble with this?

Thank you in advance. I love this site, there is a lot of great forums and responses on here.

Members don't see this ad.

Go get a job. You will figure out what you like real quick once you get outside of school/your mind.

Reactions: 1 users
medicalschool.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadow a dentist for a month or two and see how you like it. Lol if you think your schooling will be any less rigorous if you go dental over medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Go shadow a dentist!! You'll be able to figure out if you really enjoy the field within two weeks to a month of shadowing.

shadow. shadow. shadow. shadow. For more than 200 hours and you'll figure it out.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice video, some good points. I have shadowed a dentist for 25 hours, and I have mixed emotions about dentistry. Interesting in the fact that there is problem-solving, there is diagnosing, and you get to deal with the fascinating human body on a daily basis. Plus, it is a kind of laid-back environment, there's great hours, there's great pay, you get to meet a lot of people, you have some good conversations, and the staff you work with is kind of like a family. The downsides: it's kind of redundant work at times, there's a lot of small talk, there are some annoying patients, and some people actually do stereotypically hate you. The upsides to dentistry definitely seem to outweigh the downsides, though.

My only real worry about dentistry is that I will not have the hand skills. I fear I will get to dental school and really struggle and hate it. And then hate dentistry if I graduate. These are my thoughts of my hand skills I detailed above (so you don't have to scroll up), "My handwriting is average, artistic ability is average, I don't really work with my hands that much at all.. the only things that would maybe translate to good hand skills is my good hand-eye coordination (I'm a very good athlete (I'm good at nearly every sport I try (baseball, basketball, football, ping pong, badminton, volleyball, etc...) and I'm pretty good at video games). Is hand skills really something to worry about? I've heard many people say, and seen most people say on here, that hand skills can and will be learned in dental school. Most people say that most kids can put the work in and turn out just fine with their hand skills in dental school. Do you think I will have trouble with this?"

I feel like if I have the ability to get through dental school (and feel comfortable with my hand skills and all of the procedures), I will enjoy dentistry. If I can get through dental school (and feel good about it) then I will feel like I am good at it, and I think being good at something is really all you need to enjoy something.

Nice video, some good points. I have shadowed a dentist for 25 hours, and I have mixed emotions about dentistry. Interesting in the fact that there is problem-solving, there is diagnosing, and you get to deal with the fascinating human body on a daily basis. Plus, it is a kind of laid-back environment, there's great hours, there's great pay, you get to meet a lot of people, you have some good conversations, and the staff you work with is kind of like a family. The downsides: it's kind of redundant work at times, there's a lot of small talk, there are some annoying patients, and some people actually do stereotypically hate you. The upsides to dentistry definitely seem to outweigh the downsides, though.

My only real worry about dentistry is that I will not have the hand skills. I fear I will get to dental school and really struggle and hate it. And then hate dentistry if I graduate. These are my thoughts of my hand skills I detailed above (so you don't have to scroll up), "My handwriting is average, artistic ability is average, I don't really work with my hands that much at all.. the only things that would maybe translate to good hand skills is my good hand-eye coordination (I'm a very good athlete (I'm good at nearly every sport I try (baseball, basketball, football, ping pong, badminton, volleyball, etc...) and I'm pretty good at video games). Is hand skills really something to worry about? I've heard many people say, and seen most people say on here, that hand skills can and will be learned in dental school. Most people say that most kids can put the work in and turn out just fine with their hand skills in dental school. Do you think I will have trouble with this?"

I feel like if I have the ability to get through dental school (and feel comfortable with my hand skills and all of the procedures), I will enjoy dentistry. If I can get through dental school (and feel good about it) then I will feel like I am good at it, and I think being good at something is really all you need to enjoy something.

That can be said for just about every job out there though.