will i be stuck in the mid-west?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Astrid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
not that i dont love it... but, I'm wondering if by going to school (UK specifically) in the mid-west/south, am i narrowing my chances for getting a decent residency back in the Northeast (my fiance is really hoping to come back after i finish school)? Any opinions? :)

Members don't see this ad.

The location and/or reputation of your medical school plays an insignificant role IMHO for the selection of *most* residencies. To be sure, for some highly competitive residencies at top tier programs, your undergrad rep may help the PD choose between you and all the other applicants with great USMLEs, LORs, grades, personal statements, etc.

However, IMHO for most residencies MUCH MUCH more important will be your scores, LORs, grades, and reason for wanting to choose a certain residency (ie, being from the Northeast or a program having a specific experience which you desire during your residency).

You've accomplished the most difficult step in getting a residency...getting into a US medical school.

I always thought that it doesn't matter where you go to med school as far as location is concerned, because many people are only lucky enough to get into one school. However, on match lists for non-top 50 schools, it seems that most students do their residency in the same area as their med school.

Is it easier to get into the program that is affiliated with your school?
Do most people just want to stay in the same area after med school?
Is it very feasible to get a residency in an entirely different location from your med school?

For me, I might end up in med school in the northeast or midwest, but I would like to live and practice in Florida in the future. With average board scores, will it be more difficult to obtain an IM residency in South Florida coming from out of state?

Some schools are in-bred to be sure but I suspect that the reason for the large number of grads staying in the area for residency has more to do with personal preference than school reputation. This would be particularly true for non top-tier schools which tend to draw from a smaller geographic area of candidates than do the "biggies".

IM is not a terrifically competitive residency to obtain and while surely there are programs in Miami which are highly desirable and sought after, I would suspect that with your ties to the state (and all else being equal) getting a spot in South Florida would not be too terribly difficult. Any connections you can make now (and keep during med school) will be to your advantage.