Will I lose my instate eligibility?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalmnt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ive lived in VA for the past 17 years. Elementary, middle, high school, and will graduate college as a VA resident having paid instate tuition all semesters. I am taking a gap year and will be working for Maryland (only plan to do this for 1 year, typical 1year IRTA gap year route).

What I'm having a little trouble is what would happen if my parents decided to move to Maryland this December? My school gives me 1semester waiver to remain as an instate student regardless of this fact but since I plan on applying to med schools (specifically VA schools), having my parents lived in MD for 6months before submitting my application, will this allow me to remain instate eligibility?
Also, I'm working ~25hours and I'll technically be living in VA until my my lease runs out which is August. I was wondering if any of you would had experience with this. I was planning to ask schools but probably hold off until after thanksgiving break.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

This will likely depend on school-specific policies. Contact the schools and they will be the only ones to give you a sure answer. I had a situation that put my residency in question, and I was given inaccurate information by AAMC. The people that decide your residency are the schools in the end.

MD school wouldn't start until 2017 if you are applying in 2016. So you will be gone from the state for a year.