Will I make it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krazydesi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know if I am to apply this coming cycle with the following grades and things I have done how does it look?

By end of this semester I will have about a 3.53 gpa.
I am currently majoring in Industrial Engineering
I got a 34S on MCATS
Biol 12
Verbal 10
Phys 12

I have taken numerous leadership positions (atleast two positions since sophomore year in each club). I am currently a senior about to graduate. I will be taking a year off to travel and do some volunteer work.

I have done research in a lab and have great recommendation letters from my research professor, two science, and one non-science.

I also have a great letter from my pre-med advising committee because I have been working with them for a while so they know me well.

I have also volunteered abroad in nicaragua for 2 weeks on a small medical mission going from small village to village.

I am not sure if this will actually be good enough for medical school applications but I am looking towards MD.

Also as for my science GPA I think it is around 3.4-3.5 as well. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT score should eclipse the slightly-low GPA. You have something to list for leadership.

Could you be more specific about your total clinical experiences and total humanitarian/community service activities (because if all you have is two weeks in Nicaraqua, you're in trouble). And how long was the research experience?

Are you applying this coming June, or waiting until the 2010 season? It's not clear.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Duplicate (sorry not my fault, the "post reply" button went crazy on its own).

Last edited:
I am sorry for not lisitng extracurr. all the way

All right I also volunteer at a hospital and have over 120 hours so far and still going.
I am also part of pre-med honor society and we do a lot of volunteering and I have gained honors membership

I will be applying this coming june.

I have also shadowed few doctors for a day each and will be doing more of that this summer.

I am also part of a big dance team at penn state. This team requires a lot of work like 14-20 hours a practice a week. I just feel like this is my getaway thing to do for when im under academic stress

I have been with this research for a year now. I know I can get a strong recommendation with a possibility that my name will be on a paper end of this summer.

Then your extracurriculars are as expected. The AAMC grid says those with your stats had a 73.3% chance of acceptance. The volunteer work you have planned for the gap year will give you interesting things to relate in update letters in the midcycle.