Will i make it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a5patel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be entering my 3rd year of college. I am going to graduate probably with a 3.3 and have not taken my MCATs. I have plenty of extracurricular activites and am doing research under a proffesor right now. I want to go to any American medical school, with my qualifications do you guys think I will make it or should I get a masters before I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you supply more info? Like the caliber of your school, do you have an upward trend, etc etc.... You will need to rock your MCATs, and you will have a shot.

Run a search for threads containing "gpa less than 3.4 and interviews"

If you are entering your third year of school, then you still can pull that GPA up, so I wouldn't be incredibly worried. But yes, you still need to do well on the MCAT in order to solidify your position (although when is that not the case? :):))...

BTW, are you a URM? Because that would really help your chances! :)

-Ice

Members don't see this ad :)
Average GPA for those entering is usually in the 3.5 range, higher or lower depending on the school. Since you have a full year of school left until you apply, there is room for improvement. You definately still have a chance, assuming you do well this year and have very good MCAT scores. Hang in there. :)

BTW, are you a URM? Because that would really help your chances!

look at his name...hes an ORM!

I agree with (most of) the other comments. You have time to pull up your gpa and you need to do well on the MCAT.

Ignore squat-n-squeek. His sole purpose is to discouarge others from pursuing the practice of medicine.

Originally posted by Squat n Squeeze
Answered simply, no.

Only simpletons make simple answers to questions that require complex answers.

Originally posted by Gleevec
Only simpletons make simple answers to questions that require complex answers.

I just don't want to give the guy a false sense of hope. With his stats he more than likely will never make it into a US allopathic medical school (unless he is a URM, which I'm guessing he is not from his name).

I think you do have a chance to get in. You have one year left at school, do well and pull up your GPA. Of course do well on the MCATs, that will definately help. But don't let the numbers game drag you down. Many pre-meds are overly obsessed with the stats and they loose sight of the bigger picture, the qualities that make a physician. Just stick with it and good luck. One piece of advice, apply to more schools when its time, you will increase your chances dramatically.

I don't understand posts like this. If you ask whether or not you'll make it and we say no, are you going to drop out or become a podiatrist or something? If you want to become a doctor, just do the pre-reqs and get decent grades, do the community service stuff, the research, and bust your ass for the MCATs like everybody else. Then apply. Nothing anybody says is an actuall indicator of your chances of getting in. Unless you have a 2.0 with a 20 mcats, you still have a chance. Does it matter how people respond? If you want to be a doctor, do what it takes. Plenty of ways to get in, ask any non-traditional student how they did it.

Patel,

Three suggestions from personal experience:

-Make sure that your extracurriculars involve hands-on experience that you can tell stories about. If it's just clubs and the like, they won't do much good. Make sure you have significant community AND clinical experience to round out your research.

-Take a practice MCAT, then take an MCAT prep class. I'm partial to Kaplan, having taken the course myself and now teaching for them. I don't think I'd have gotten into med school (or would have, but much later) without it.

-Consider osteopathic schools also. I avoided them the first time around because I simply hadn't done enough research. By the time I did, I was so happy with school I chose (AZCOM) that I didn't even bother with my allopathic interviews. Osteopathic schools have a slightly lower reputation among premeds, and broadening your sights to these schools will dramatically increase your chances.

Patel, (If that's your last name, I believe it's Indian?)

One more advice, apply strategically. I.e. Apply to some reach schools, some schools within your reach, and some "safety" schools. Focus on your state schools if you're a U.S. citizen