Will I make the cut?

heyitsshayshay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have dreamed of being part of Boston University's 7 year accelerated medicine program ever since my freshman year. Now that I'm a senior and applying, I'm afraid that I will be rejected because my test scores are not high enough. I got a 2050 on the SAT, a 29 on the ACT, and a 700 on the SAT 2 in Chemistry. I still have to take the SAT 2: Math Level 2 and I am going to retake the ACT, both of which I will do in October. My overall GPA is a 4.1, and I have only received 2 B's so far.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will get my second ACT score early enough for me to send it in, as the application is due November 15th and the test date is October 25th.

Do I have a good chance of getting in, or at least making it to the interview round?

Members don't see this ad.

In high school, the numbers really matter. However, it doesn't hurt if you mentioned medically related activities you participated during your high school years.
Have you considered applying to other accelerated medicine programs?

I have been volunteering at a medical center for the past 3 years, I'm president of our school's pre-med club, and I'm on a board in our city called Healthy Cities Steering Committee. Do you think that will help?

Also, yes I have been considering other accelerated programs, but I'm having a hard time picking which ones to apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hate to say it ... 29 does not look good. The SAT weren't that high either.

How many AP classes have you taken? Those BS/MD programs are extremely difficult to get in... Way harder than the regular routes

Hate to say it ... 29 does not look good. The SAT weren't that high either.

How many AP classes have you taken? Those BS/MD programs are extremely difficult to get in... Way harder than the regular routes

Our school doesn't really let us take any AP classes until our junior year, so I have taken 3 so far and am currently taking 4.

Our school doesn't really let us take any AP classes until our junior year, so I have taken 3 so far and am currently taking 4.

It's not how many you take but how many you get 4-5's (preferably 5)

It will be hard for you ... Let me know how it turns out.

You'll make it. Try to see if there is any way for you to take that ACT again. Also what is a Pre-med club?

Reactions: 1 user
I have dreamed of being part of Boston University's 7 year accelerated medicine program ever since my freshman year. Now that I'm a senior and applying, I'm afraid that I will be rejected because my test scores are not high enough. I got a 2050 on the SAT, a 29 on the ACT, and a 700 on the SAT 2 in Chemistry. I still have to take the SAT 2: Math Level 2 and I am going to retake the ACT, both of which I will do in October. My overall GPA is a 4.1, and I have only received 2 B's so far.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will get my second ACT score early enough for me to send it in, as the application is due November 15th and the test date is October 25th.

Do I have a good chance of getting in, or at least making it to the interview round?

I interviewed at this program many years ago. Unfortunately, your standardized scores will be on the lower side for the program. I would think it will be difficult for you to get an interview. If you're interested in applying to BS/MD programs, make sure to apply to several, as they are much more competitive than applying to elite undergrads.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll make it. Try to see if there is any way for you to take that ACT again. Also what is a Pre-med club?
Hi! Sorry my response is so late. So I'm not too sure if other schools have a club similar to ours, but our Pre-Med Club is basically a way to become exposed to the medical field. We go on field trips, have guest speakers, etc. The last field trip we went on was to UCI's neuro research center, where we saw labs and got to talk to the researchers and students and ask them questions on what they were studying, etc etc.