will I pass bio 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezio

cheese steaks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a bad position right now. my bio class is unnecessarily hard and I have a 68.5% in the class, not including lab which I have around a 75% in which is 30% of the overall course grade.
average grades on first 2 exams were 57% no curve

To move on, I need a C or 75% to go to bio 2.

There are only 285 seats in bio 2 and 475 seats in my current bio 1 class. This means that only 60% of bio 1 can move on.
If my thoughts are correct, then this should mean that I should be able to move on IF there is a curve because I am above the 60th percentile in my class.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Spend more time studying and less time figuring out how bad you can be and still move on. Honestly, it's bio 1. If you aren't getting good grades, then you aren't studying enough.

Reactions: 4 users
Does your school have a strict requirement? I knew a few people who failed chem 2 and took it with ochem 1 (various universities), but I am sure some schools don't allow that. I would study really hard for your next exam or 2 in order to pass though, I would hate to fail bio 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spend more time studying and less time figuring out how bad you can be and still move on. Honestly, it's bio 1. If you aren't getting good grades, then you aren't studying enough.

That assumption isn't always true. Depending on how the course is structured and who the instructor is/how makes learning the material any course can be made to be extremely difficult to do well in.

OP, I recommend looking at the possibility of withdrawing from the course, and doing research as to whether or not it really is the school, or the professor. Either way withdrawing and retaking may help you because you'll be better prepared the second time around.

I forgot to mention the average on the first 2 exams was 57so yea it is the school

giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly sounds like you attend a horribly stressful school. I'd suggest transferring to a place where you'd do better.

If i want to transfer theres not many great options in or around philly. Drexel, LOL 40k pricetag.. Penn, never get in. La Salle, dont know much about it.

Study and pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I am in a bad position right now. my bio class is unnecessarily hard and I have a 68.5% in the class, not including lab which I have around a 75% in which is 30% of the overall course grade.

There are only 285 seats in bio 2 and 475 seats in my current bio 1 class. This means that only 60% of bio 1 can move on.
If my thoughts are correct, then this should mean that I should be able to move on IF there is a curve because I am above the 60th percentile in my class.
Dude the average is where a large chunk of the class lies. There HAS to be a curve. Don't overstate things in an attempt to make your BIO 1 class sound like the most brutal class that us pre meds will take.

Dude the average is where a large chunk of the class lies. There HAS to be a curve. Don't overstate things in an attempt to make your BIO 1 class sound like the most brutal class that us pre meds will take.

do you think the professors could be lying about no curve because there would be some serious slacking off?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you might be talking about University of the Sciences. I have heard nothing but awful things about the environment at that place. I have heard they overaccept and then take no interest in helping you succeed in your courses due to the conflict of interest. That reminds me of a Caribbean philosophy. I'd love to hear from other current students to see if I am totally wrong though.

I met someone in one of my community college classes who was trying to go to pharmacy school one day... I later learned he was actually *in* pharmacy school at University of the Sciences, hated it, dropped out, and was trying to get into a different pharmacy school.

In any event, you should withdraw and get a W, and then transfer to Temple.

I forgot to mention the average on the first 2 exams was 57so yea it is the school

Meh. I had a bio 1 class where the professor wasn't particularly clear about course material, so I brute-force studied the testable material.

Class average was in the 50s-60s on the exams, and I still pulled As. I think this was mostly a function of students not knowing how to take short-answer/short-essay exams anymore.

For the most part, you gotta do what you gotta do to get the A. Some teachers make it easy... others do not. There's always a way, though admittedly that particular way could be asinine (i.e., why do I need to spend 3 times the amount of study time on bio vs. organic to get an A).

Meh. I had a bio 1 class where the professor wasn't particularly clear about course material, so I brute-force studied the testable material.

Class average was in the 50s-60s on the exams, and I still pulled As. I think this was mostly a function of students not knowing how to take short-answer/short-essay exams anymore.

For the most part, you gotta do what you gotta do to get the A. Some teachers make it easy... others do not. There's always a way, though admittedly that particular way could be asinine (i.e., why do I need to spend 3 times the amount of study time on bio vs. organic to get an A).

Exactly, my class average was 52 % and I still managed to get A. You gotta do what you gotta do to get the A, it's possible.

Sounds like you might be talking about University of the Sciences. I have heard nothing but awful things about the environment at that place. I have heard they overaccept and then take no interest in helping you succeed in your courses due to the conflict of interest. That reminds me of a Caribbean philosophy. I'd love to hear from other current students to see if I am totally wrong though.

I met someone in one of my community college classes who was trying to go to pharmacy school one day... I later learned he was actually *in* pharmacy school at University of the Sciences, hated it, dropped out, and was trying to get into a different pharmacy school.

Alum here. It's not that bad.

I am at Temple right now with

If i want to transfer theres not many great options in or around philly. Drexel, LOL 40k pricetag.. Penn, never get in. La Salle, dont know much about it.

There are quite a few PSU branch campuses around the city. And other schools other than the big names.

I know quite a few pharmacy students at USP and they all say the same thing. It's brutal and a girl I work with said half her class dropped out.

Welcome to college premed courses!! When I took my biology 1 and 2 courses the class averages were consistently in the mid 50s and low 60s, along with my gen chem, orgo, and physics courses. I still got A's on all my exams despite how poor the class average was. Not going to lie but it only gets harder from here on out after bio 1 and you're going to have to do something to get those A's. The professor may suck but not matter what you need to find a way to get those A's. You're going to have to retake bio 1 for sure and I'd suggest getting out of that school! Who the heck would wanna be a bio 1 class with 500 kids? insane, who can actually learn in that kind of enviornment?

i mean theres a 1pm and 4pm lecture for bio 1

Welcome to college premed courses!! When I took my biology 1 and 2 courses the class averages were consistently in the mid 50s and low 60s, along with my gen chem, orgo, and physics courses. I still got A's on all my exams despite how poor the class average was. Not going to lie but it only gets harder from here on out after bio 1 and you're going to have to do something to get those A's. The professor may suck but not matter what you need to find a way to get those A's. You're going to have to retake bio 1 for sure and I'd suggest getting out of that school! Who the heck would wanna be a bio 1 class with 500 kids? insane, who can actually learn in that kind of enviornment?

That kind of environment isn't that bad. Sure i preferred the smaller courses but I had multiple courses with 700 people and they weren't bad. It really does depend on the teacher you get. But you can't fault the teacher or the school for you not doing well. It's a matter of figuring out how to study for a particular course.

Welcome to college premed courses!!

+1.

In one upper level class my exam avg was 98% and the class avg was 76%.

Not all premeds go to med school. Most of them will end up with a new major. Your goal is to not be one of those students.

+1.

In one upper level class my exam avg was 98% and the class avg was 76%.

Not all premeds go to med school. Most of them will end up with a new major. Your goal is to not be one of those students.

100% correct...the premed courses are notorious for very low averages (50-60s) but once you get out of those premed courses, the ones who stick with it and do well continue on and the course averages increase with upper level courses, but the course material gets much harder is what i meant by it only gets harder.

We are in the same class and situation! I have heard that there might be a secret curve at the end of the semester, they just tell you no curve, to make you study hard.

Stop worrying about it and go study. not like you can do anythign else about it except study harder and read SDN less