Will it be an issue to get LORs from profs that you only had for a semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparkle dust

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I would like to get two lors from profs I had for only one class. I do feel I got to know both well and they both agreed to write me the letter. It seems that on here people have letters from people they've known for years and had multiple classes with. Am I at a disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you have a good relationship with them.
You really dont want a "default" reccomendation format

Not too much. You can't do anything about it in any case, so don't worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

I would like to get two lors from profs I had for only one class. I do feel I got to know both well and they both agreed to write me the letter. It seems that on here people have letters from people they've known for years and had multiple classes with. Am I at a disadvantage?

Sound like weak letters to me.

Sound like weak letters to me.

Why though? Is it because I have only taken one class with them it's automatically a weak letter? Is it not going to hold a lot of weight just because of that? I have always gone to office hours and made an effort to get to know the professors and they have all agreed to writing me a strong letter of recommendation.

One of my non science professors who I only took one class with but have known for a year (and have kept in touch with in the meantime) by now showed me his letter of recommendation and I thought it was a strong letter in the sense that he spoke very highly of me and mentioned many examples and anecdotes to show positive qualities of mine. Is a letter like that automatically not going to be given a lot of weight just because he only taught me for one class? I mean I don't have experience reading letters but I was happy that he said many positive things and backed it up with many examples. Does that not count for something?

Do medical schools really expect all students to have letters from people who they took multiple classes with and/do did research with? I think that's really awesome if someone has the opportunity but not everyone really does. The professors that taught my pre-reqs didn't really teach upper-levels. Even if you had a great relationship with a professor whose class you took, there may not always be room in their research lab. Sometimes classes conflict and its not possible to take classes that may be available with the same professor due to as I said scheduling issues. I just don't understand why one would be at a disadvantage if they didn't have all these opportunities with their letter writers.

Do recommendations even make or break a student? I figured as long as they were all positive and supported a student's medical school candidacy that a student was ok in that regard since all letters are mostly positive anyway.

Why though? Is it because I have only taken one class with them it's automatically a weak letter? Is it not going to hold a lot of weight just because of that? I have always gone to office hours and made an effort to get to know the professors and they have all agreed to writing me a strong letter of recommendation.

One of my non science professors who I only took one class with but have known for a year (and have kept in touch with in the meantime) by now showed me his letter of recommendation and I thought it was a strong letter in the sense that he spoke very highly of me and mentioned many examples and anecdotes to show positive qualities of mine. Is a letter like that automatically not going to be given a lot of weight just because he only taught me for one class? I mean I don't have experience reading letters but I was happy that he said many positive things and backed it up with many examples. Does that not count for something?

Do medical schools really expect all students to have letters from people who they took multiple classes with and/do did research with? I think that's really awesome if someone has the opportunity but not everyone really does. The professors that taught my pre-reqs didn't really teach upper-levels. Even if you had a great relationship with a professor whose class you took, there may not always be room in their research lab. Sometimes classes conflict and its not possible to take classes that may be available with the same professor due to as I said scheduling issues. I just don't understand why one would be at a disadvantage if they didn't have all these opportunities with their letter writers.

Do recommendations even make or break a student? I figured as long as they were all positive and supported a student's medical school candidacy that a student was ok in that regard since all letters are mostly positive anyway.

This screams, "IT'S NOT FAIR" entitlement++. You can figure all you want. Do LOR make or break most applications? No, not even by a long shot. Do they matter? Yes. Do they matter for certain people more than others, yes. Do you need amazing LOR to get into medical school? No. Do they help? Yes. Are there plenty of people each cycle with strong letters? Yes. You can whine about "lack of opportunities" all you want. Somehow thousands of other people figured it out, or had pretty damn good reasons why they didn't have stronger professor letters. (which usually results in incredibly strong experiences/LOR from non professors).

Reactions: 1 user
This screams, "IT'S NOT FAIR" entitlement++. You can figure all you want. Do LOR make or break most applications? No, not even by a long shot. Do they matter? Yes. Do they matter for certain people more than others, yes. Do you need amazing LOR to get into medical school? No. Do they help? Yes. Are there plenty of people each cycle with strong letters? Yes. You can whine about "lack of opportunities" all you want. Somehow thousands of other people figured it out, or had pretty damn good reasons why they didn't have stronger professor letters. (which usually results in incredibly strong experiences/LOR from non professors).

I really wasn’t saying it’s not fair but if it come off that way, my bad.

I definitely wasn’t whining either. A med student who was on their school’s admissions committee on here has said that weak letters hurt when everyone else has good/strong letters. My impression from that was that a weak letter is a letter that contains only bland praise with no anecdotes or examples to back it up as a negative/bad letter was rare. I mainly wanted to know the prevalent sentiment in the adcom world regarding my question in the thread – is getting a letter from a professor who you’ve only had one class with an issue? Of course I have no experience in admissions but that’s hard for me to believe that those letters automatically wouldn’t be given a lot of weight for the simple reason that they’ve only had one class with the person.

Letters can be on a spectrum I think – strong, good, lukewarm, bad, etc. I feel like the letters I have brought up would be good/average at best but if applicants are dinged for weak letters then, again, its hard for me to believe that an applicant would be dinged for having letters from people they have had only one class with.

There was another thread recently that brought up that you said poor English/grammar in a letter would hurt an applicant which is simply not true. Think about that – why would an applicant be faulted because of someone else’s English skills? If the letter writer can still effectively communicate their message that’s all that should matter (from my guess). All the adcomms disagreed with you on that as well. My friend’s entire biology department was full of foreign professors. It’s her fault that she had no other choice but to choose professors who had broken English?

Um yeah I’m sure thousands of students have had letters from people who’ve they’ve had multiple classes /have done research with. 50k+ people apply to med school every year. I highly doubt a school would ever ask “why don’t you have stronger letters?”.

Of course at the end of the day I have no choice but to go with these letters. I’m grateful that my professors have agreed to write me strong letters. I just think if in the worst case scenario that I have to reapply it wouldn’t be my LORs that I needed to improve. But if anyone has any additional insight on this I would like to hear it.

Last edited:
If you feel you know your professors well and the letter you've seen is strong, then great. I think @mimelim's point was that a letter from a prof who has known you for more than one semester is probably more likely to be a strong letter than one from a prof who has only observed you in the classroom for a few months. A letter that simply restates your grade in a course isn't going to help you and could possibly hurt you. If that's not what your letters are like, then you're probably in good shape.

Is it impossible to get a strong letter from a prof you've only took 1 course with? No. Will medical schools dismiss a strong letter because you only took 1 course with the letter writer? I highly doubt it. With that said, having letters from non-profs who've known you for longer periods of time (PIs, work/volunteer supervisors, etc.) will probably add a lot to your file.

You can give these guidelines to your writers to give them a sense of what makes a strong letter. (https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf)

I highly doubt a school would ever ask “why don’t you have stronger letters?”.
No, an adcom probably wouldn't ask you this. But they certainly may be thinking it when they review your app and decide whether to invite you to interview!
You came on this forum to ask a question and now you're arguing with someone whose opinion you asked for as if you know better. :smack:

Reactions: 1 users
If you feel you know your professors well and the letter you've seen is strong, then great. I think @mimelim's point was that a letter from a prof who has known you for more than one semester is probably more likely to be a strong letter than one from a prof who has only observed you in the classroom for a few months. A letter that simply restates your grade in a course isn't going to help you and could possibly hurt you. If that's not what your letters are like, then you're probably in good shape.

Is it impossible to get a strong letter from a prof you've only took 1 course with? No. Will medical schools dismiss a strong letter because you only took 1 course with the letter writer? I highly doubt it. With that said, having letters from non-profs who've known you for longer periods of time (PIs, work/volunteer supervisors, etc.) will probably add a lot to your file.

You can give these guidelines to your writers to give them a sense of what makes a strong letter. (https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf)

I was arguing with him about his definition of a weak letter. Applicants do get dinged for weak letters and understandably so. I realize letters where the student has had multiple experience with a professor is more helpful and those rightfully would be consider strong(er) letters but a letter that still recommends a student highly with examples to back it up is still a good letter even if they only had one class with them, no? That's what I was getting at.

And thanks I did give my letter writer those guidelines. For my non sci professor I gave those guidelines in addition to old papers I wrote for his class.

No, an adcom probably wouldn't ask you this. But they certainly may be thinking it when they review your app and decide whether to invite you to interview!
You came on this forum to ask a question and now you're arguing with someone whose opinion you asked for as if you know better. :smack:

That emoji was unnecessary. I didn't say I knew better. I was guessing. He mentioned students that don't have these letters have good reasons for it which suggested to me that it may be potentially brought up in an interview which is something I never heard of or something I could never imagine an interviewer asking. But again I wouldn't know so it really was just a guess.

I was arguing with him about his definition of a weak letter. Applicants do get dinged for weak letters and understandably so. I realize letters where the student has had multiple experience with a professor is more helpful and those rightfully would be consider strong(er) letters but a letter that still recommends a student highly with examples to back it up is still a good letter even if they only had one class with them, no? That's what I was getting at.

And thanks I did give my letter writer those guidelines. For my non sci professor I gave those guidelines in addition to old papers I wrote for his class.

That emoji was unnecessary. I didn't say I knew better. I was guessing. He mentioned students that don't have these letters have good reasons for it which suggested to me that it may be potentially brought up in an interview which is something I never heard of or something I could never imagine an interviewer asking. But again I wouldn't know so it really was just a guess.

What are you trying to achieve in this thread exactly?

Reactions: 2 users

Your letter is essentially going to say that you were a good student in the class and you made use of office hours. You will have to forgive those of us who do not see this narrative as compelling. It won't kill your app, in fact I have read innumerable superficial letters like this, usually written on behalf of students who are applying straight from large, public universities.

Among this pool of applicants, most bolster their LOR collection with at least one from a PI and/or volunteer organization with whom they have developed a longitudinal relationship, where the writer feels comfortable positively assessing the student's non-academic qualities (something we have a difficult time doing in an interview setting).

Other than my research PI, all my letters came from professors I'd only had for one semester. Come to think of it, I didn't have any professor for more than one semester over my entire college career: orgo had two instructors, physics had two instructors, pchem had two instructors, biochem had two instructors.... I thought that was normal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your letter is essentially going to say that you were a good student in the class and you made use of office hours. You will have to forgive those of us who do not see this narrative as compelling. It won't kill your app, in fact I have read innumerable superficial letters like this, usually written on behalf of students who are applying straight from large, public universities.

Among this pool of applicants, most bolster their LOR collection with at least one from a PI and/or volunteer organization with whom they have developed a longitudinal relationship, one where the writer feels comfortable positively assessing the student's non-academic qualities (something we have a difficult time doing in an interview setting).

Thanks for the insight! My letter from my non sci professor did actually include several examples that showed my critical thinking skills and some of the other core competencies (mainly stuff from my papers/questions I asked in class, etc.). I can understand why that would not be compelling or convincing enough though since my experience with him was limited. I thought it was a bit more than just saying I was a good student in his class. I understand your perspective though so thanks again for your input!

Last edited:
Other than my research PI, all my letters came from professors I'd only had for one semester. Come to think of it, I didn't have any professor for more than one semester over my entire college career: orgo had two instructors, physics had two instructors, pchem had two instructors, biochem had two instructors.... I thought that was normal.

That was my experience as well! Thanks for sharing. I figured many applicants face a similar situation. I do hope to pursue a research position so hopefully that letter would hold a lot of weight since the experience would be at least 1+ year.

That was my experience as well! Thanks for sharing. I figured many applicants face a similar situation. I do hope to pursue a research position so hopefully that letter would hold a lot of weight since the experience would be at least 1+ year.

Alternatively all my LORs came from professors which I knew for over a year because we were in contact through research or TAing or other things....

I really wasn’t saying it’s not fair but if it come off that way, my bad.

I definitely wasn’t whining either. A med student who was on their school’s admissions committee on here has said that weak letters hurt when everyone else has good/strong letters. My impression from that was that a weak letter is a letter that contains only bland praise with no anecdotes or examples to back it up as a negative/bad letter was rare. I mainly wanted to know the prevalent sentiment in the adcom world regarding my question in the thread – is getting a letter from a professor who you’ve only had one class with an issue? Of course I have no experience in admissions but that’s hard for me to believe that those letters automatically wouldn’t be given a lot of weight for the simple reason that they’ve only had one class with the person.

Letters can be on a spectrum I think – strong, good, lukewarm, bad, etc. I feel like the letters I have brought up would be good/average at best but if applicants are dinged for weak letters then, again, its hard for me to believe that an applicant would be dinged for having letters from people they have had only one class with.

There was another thread recently that brought up that you said poor English/grammar in a letter would hurt an applicant which is simply not true. Think about that – why would an applicant be faulted because of someone else’s English skills? If the letter writer can still effectively communicate their message that’s all that should matter (from my guess). All the adcomms disagreed with you on that as well. My friend’s entire biology department was full of foreign professors. It’s her fault that she had no other choice but to choose professors who had broken English?

Um yeah I’m sure thousands of students have had letters from people who’ve they’ve had multiple classes /have done research with. 50k+ people apply to med school every year. I highly doubt a school would ever ask “why don’t you have stronger letters?”.

Of course at the end of the day I have no choice but to go with these letters. I’m grateful that my professors have agreed to write me strong letters. I just think if in the worst case scenario that I have to reapply it wouldn’t be my LORs that I needed to improve. But if anyone has any additional insight on this I would like to hear it.

The problem with this 'argument', (your word not mine) is that you are going based on a bunch of "I feels", "I think", and then make some baseless comment, "simply not true", when you have zero experience or foundation. Poor writing is poor writing. There are letters that are borderline unintelligible and they absolutely reflect negatively. Do most of us on committees realize that it isn't the applicant's writing? Absolutely. But, certainly not everyone can separate themselves from the abysmal writing that can be displayed. It 'shouldn't' matter that someone's letter writers are poor writers, but invariably, they are poorer communicators and that does hurt the applicant one way or another. In my limited experience, foreign trained professors tend to be rather good writers compared to many American trained. For starters, generally they are in the position they are in not because of writing skills and so the two are largely independent, but further, people that know the aren't as good at writing tend to be more explicit and straight forward, which helps applicants. The biggest danger is having someone who thinks that they are a good writer, but in fact are terrible.

Second, lets be precise here. The thread was from 7 months ago. If you actually read the thread, only one person disagreed with me (@Goro ) and my response to him would have been that while he may thinking that he may not penalize applicants for a letter writer's poor grammar/writing, #1 He can not possibly consider himself infallible #2 Even if he IS infallible, of the thousands of ADCOMs in the US, most of them are not and some will be judgmental, even if it is subconscious.

I have sat in admissions committee meeting where the exact question was posed, "If he was really 'that good', why are his letters complete ****?" At least 1 in 3 meetings had some direct mention/discussion of someone's LOR, either positive or negative. What is the best possible thing that a LOR written by someone who has had you for 1 semester can say? What is the best possible thing that someone who has ONLY seen you in a classroom/office hour visit can say? My personal opinion is that even taking 2-3 classes with someone is the foundation of a weak letter. Will it harm you? No. Will it help you at all? Absolutely not. I don't need a professor to tell me that you got an 'A' in their class or that you are hard working or a good learner, etc. I have your transcript for your grades and those other things are the baseline, not the exception. LOR are a forum for people to brag about you in ways that you can't because of humility.

We get it OP, you're letters aren't going to be great and you want external validation that it isn't 'your fault' or that it 'shouldn't matter'. In all likelihood, it won't make any difference. You don't have strong advocates for who knows what reason. As you said, you have no choice with the bed you've made, so you have to go with it. Not exactly sure what the point of the original post was, except to argue.

As @LizzyM has pointed out to me, I applied to medical school a decade ago. I assume that you applied earlier than I did. While the overall applicant level hasn't increased, many measures have and what was normal 10+ years ago is not normal now.

As @LizzyM has pointed out to me, I applied to medical school a decade ago. I assume that you applied earlier than I did. While the overall applicant level hasn't increased, many measures have and what was normal 10+ years ago is not normal now.

I have no reason to believe that the way my college structures its undergrad science courses has changed since I was there. But your point that my process was a long time ago is well-taken. Maybe applicants from my school have to work harder these days to not be at a disadvantage.

This escalated real quick

I've seen plenty of good, glowing LORS from applicants who took only a single course with the LOR writer, and I've seen others that mirrored exactly what my learned colleague Mimelim mentioned ("Sparkle was an excellent student in my anatomy class. She got an A"). We've probably read the same letter!

The situation should always be that you get a positive answer when you ask the LOR writer "Professor X, do you think that you know me well enough to write me a good LOR for app to med school? "

Hi

I have no reason to believe that the way my college structures its undergrad science courses has changed since I was there. But your point that my process was a long time ago is well-taken. Maybe applicants from my school have to work harder these days to not be at a disadvantage.

The course structure at my undergrad remains virtually the same as when I showed up more than a decade ago. But, the admissions process continues to evolve. The free flow of information, availability of the internet and internet based resources has increased. Far more people are planning out their applications years in advance.

My 2 letters from professors were ones I only had for one semester and I know at least one was really solid, so I think you're good. I also had a really strong letter from a research mentor so do that like you're planning and you're fine. I wouldn't worry too much