Will it be too late in the cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freeriderorsomething

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all!

Quick question...hopefully.

I will be graduating undergrad next May at 27(veteran). Because of my age, I don't want to take an extra year between graduating and applying to school. I'm already self conscious just thinking about being the old girl (relatively) in med school. My issue is that I have to take Biochemistry during the summer after I graduate and will not be through with it until July 1st. I am still however planning on taking the MCAT no later than May 1st. Will it be considered applying late in the cycle if I don't have biochemistry completed until July?

I really want to apply right after I graduate, but I'm worried that not finishing biochemistry until July will put me at a strong disadvantage. I was really hoping to apply early for a little bit of an advantage.

What do you all think? Will it be considered applying late in the cycle in July or will I be alright?

Members don't see this ad.

I would highly recommend that you NOT take the MCAT before you finish biochemistry.

Reactions: 6 users
Hello, all!

Quick question...hopefully.

I will be graduating undergrad next May at 27(veteran). Because of my age, I don't want to take an extra year between graduating and applying to school. I'm already self conscious just thinking about being the old girl (relatively) in med school. My issue is that I have to take Biochemistry during the summer after I graduate and will not be through with it until July 1st. I am still however planning on taking the MCAT no later than May 1st. Will it be considered applying late in the cycle if I don't have biochemistry completed until July?

I really want to apply right after I graduate, but I'm worried that not finishing biochemistry until July will put me at a strong disadvantage. I was really hoping to apply early for a little bit of an advantage.

What do you all think? Will it be considered applying late in the cycle in July or will I be alright?

You don't need to have your pre-reqs done before you apply. They just need to be done by the time you matriculate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would highly recommend that you NOT take the MCAT before you finish biochemistry.

MCAT biochemistry can literally be learned in a few hours. I think OP will be fine.

MCAT biochemistry can literally be learned in a few hours. I think OP will be fine.
a few hours? no. I recommend a proper class because biochemistry is scattered all over two sections of the MCAT

Reactions: 5 users
a few hours? no. I recommend a proper class because biochemistry is scattered all over two sections of the MCAT

The person who posted that took the old MCAT, maybe they forgot that biochem is a HUGE component of the new exam.

Reactions: 1 user
The person who posted that took the old MCAT, maybe they forgot that biochem is a HUGE component of the new exam.

I'm actually teaching the new MCAT for a test prep company. My students who have not taken Biochem before don't do worse than those who have.

Do it once, do it right.

Schedule your MCAT for mid-July. Ordinarily, this is late but in your case (veteran, older) you can get away with it. Prep while taking that last class. If you have everything submitted including secondaries by Labor Day you should be fine. Some of the strongest applicants are non-traditional students who arrive late in the cycle and we always make room for them in the interview schedule.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for the posts! LizzyM , you are right! I have been working too long to mess things up last minute. I will also be applying DO which seems to allow for later submissions as well, so I will take that advice and take the MCAT in July and make sure to get everything completed ASAP. Thank you all again for taking the time to read and reply! Good luck to all of you on your journeys!