will medical schools require more prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDarkNeuron

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the mcat is changing, I am wondering if medical schools will require additional pre reqs in biochem psych and sociology? I am a senior and this is my last semester, I haven't taken sociology

Members don't see this ad.

That bus is indeed coming.

My own school is making noise about having 2 years of Bio; there are already MD schools that require 1-2 courses in the Humanities.

I personally think that biochem, cell bio or genetics should be a requirement.

Now that the mcat is changing, I am wondering if medical schools will require additional pre reqs in biochem psych and sociology? I am a senior and this is my last semester, I haven't taken sociology

Members don't see this ad :)
Either it was MUCOM or MSUCOM that got the ball rolling requiring Biochem, psych and socio. Not sure which other schools yet.

Pretty sure someone (maybe @DoctorSynthesis) said that you can CLEP socio.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

That bus is indeed coming.

My own school is making noise about having 2 years of Bio; there are already MD schools that require 1-2 courses in the Humanities.

I personally think that biochem, cell bio or genetics should be a requirement.
Are these not already required for undergrad Biology/Biochemistry majors? I have to take all three! :hungover:

It depends upon the program. I've seen Bio majors with such odd Bio courses that it makes me wonder "what exactly did you major in, because this isn't Biology!?"

Back in my day, my Bio program did not require Biochem or Cell Bio.

Are these not already required for undergrad Biology/Biochemistry majors? I have to take all three! :hungover:

Yes.

The historical trend has been clearly towards requiring an increasing number of specific courses as prerequisites. Just in the past few years, several DO schools have started to require biochem/genetics/humanities coursework. Pretty much anything to give the schools an easier way to weed out candidates.
So my advice to future premeds is that you will not have much room to explore actual academic interests in college if you want even a chance to attend many medical schools. Just fit the cookie-cutter premed bio or biochem major stereotype and you'll be safe.

Reactions: 1 user
More than likely, biochem will be a requirement. If you need it for the MCAT, they schools will add that. It's already "strongly recommended" at many schools.
I can see DO schools starting to strongly pull towards more humanities, social sciences etc as they try to differentiate from MD schools and create a highly sociable, relational doctor.

Unfortunately, it just makes things more difficult for the average, normal mature being and they have to comply with even more regulations, while just another class in social sciences may or may not do anything to put some common sense in the young pre-med mind.

More than likely, biochem will be a requirement. If you need it for the MCAT, they schools will add that. It's already "strongly recommended" at many schools.
I can see DO schools starting to strongly pull towards more humanities, social sciences etc as they try to differentiate from MD schools and create a highly sociable, relational doctor.

Unfortunately, it just makes things more difficult for the average, normal mature being and they have to comply with even more regulations, while just another class in social sciences may or may not do anything to put some common sense in the young pre-med mind.
With the new MCAT, more focus on the humanities is going to be the norm.

Actually, at this point many MD schools are planning to require Psych and Socio courses. It's not just a DO thing, it's a medicine thing, hence the change in MCAT.