Will minors help in becoming a good doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoyKim456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about admissions, I am talking about education. If someone has a minor in business or finance, or a difficult subject that requires you to think critically, will that help them as a doctor? Because being a good doctor means to have to have a sense of economy, business, have problem solving skills, and have a lot of knowledge. Yet I always see people not giving minors any importance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be much better off taking classes you are interested in as opposed to having to abide by the structure of a minor.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are genuinely interested, you can obtain the same knowledge with a couple of books from your local library.

I took birdwatching in college. It was the hardest class I've ever taken, including medical school courses. I had to memorize over 200 species of birds by sight and by their calls. I had to trudge around in the snow at 6am with a set of binoculars and a copy of the Sibley Guide to North American Birds(which I highly recommend) and make weekly logs of birds I saw in the woods. I would say that, as a doctor, birdwatching taught me more about being a doctor than any other course. Why?

Because it got me used to waking up at 5am, memorizing a bunch of seemingly useless trivia, and taught my to document everything. Point is, any experience can contribute to your education if you maximize its potential.

Reactions: 4 users
Classes in personal finance, personal investing, business law, ethics. organizational management, how to manage employees of workplace regulations, data management, and a project management class would all be good to have. However, most of this could be done with self-study.