Will more shadowing help me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meccamputechture

'u '
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as time goes on, it's seeming more and more like I have a gap year on my hands. My stats are decent (GPA/sGPA > 3.7, MCAT > 36) so I figure my ECs and/or interview skills need work. To sum up my ECs:

150 hours ER volunteer (head volunteer trainer and actively working with volunteer coordinator and ER management to overhaul volunteer duties)
50 hours ER volunteer (other local hospital, trauma center)
50 hours physiotherapy volunteer (a TON of patient interaction)
Completed organic chemistry thesis studying synthesis of possible anticancer compounds
Shadowed a gastroenterologist and a family physician
TA for 5 semesters of chemistry labs
Worked in construction for my dad since I was 7

When I look at my application, "non clinical volunteering" is what screams out to me immediately, but I do also have a few possible shadowing opportunities as well. Should I focus on the non clinical involvement, or will more shadowing help?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need both non-clinical experience and clinical experience. Maybe with underserved populations if you can. I can't tell if you are at 150 hrs total or 250 hrs total in volunteering based on your breakdown but you need plenty of clinical time (either through shadowing or through other opportunities) to show you have explored service to others, you have explored medicine, and you know what it takes to be a physician. Read some of the other what are my chances posts to see how people recommend improving different applications for more info. GL

I don't know how many hours you shadowed those 2 docs

one more doc shadowing sounds good, especially if you can do for a long time and get a letter,

also some sort of volunteer activity that is non-clinical could be good too, but I think those experiences look like box checking unless you do them for a while can say why you did it

take this advice of mine with a grain of salt

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did you shadow for already? The utility of shadowing drops off very quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you need both non-clinical experience and clinical experience. Maybe with underserved populations if you can. I can't tell if you are at 150 hrs total or 250 hrs total in volunteering based on your breakdown but you need plenty of clinical time (either through shadowing or through other opportunities) to show you have explored service to others, you have explored medicine, and you know what it takes to be a physician. Read some of the other what are my chances posts to see how people recommend improving different applications for more info. GL

Sorry if it was vague, its about 250 hours total as of now. Thank you for your advice. :)

I don't know how many hours you shadowed those 2 docs

one more doc shadowing sounds good, especially if you can do for a long time and get a letter,

also some sort of volunteer activity that is non-clinical could be good too, but I think those experiences look like box checking unless you do them for a while can say why you did it

take this advice of mine with a grain of salt

How long did you shadow for already? The utility of shadowing drops off very quickly.

I shadowed the gastroenterologist for about 12 hours, and the family doc for about 4. Thanks for your responses :)

Yeah, more shadowing will help. It varies based on what you get out of the experience, but for most people, the utility will drop off after about 50 hours or so.

Yeah, more shadowing will help. It varies based on what you get out of the experience, but for most people, the utility will drop off after about 50 hours or so.

Good to know! I am potentially able to shadow a radiologist soon (which is my dream specialty) so I hope the variety helps as well.

Did you apply this past cycle? If so what have you done to significantly improve your application ? I can't tell from your post so if you aren't a reapplicant sorry.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Did you apply this past cycle? If so what have you done to significantly improve your application ? I can't tell from your post so if you aren't a reapplicant sorry.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Yes, I did apply last cycle. My application was submitted late for various reasons, and the activity descriptions/personal statement weren't the best. This time around, I managed to get them edited professionally and I'm -WAY- more confident in my overall application. I'll be able to submit on June 7th this time around. Also, I raised my GPA significantly over the past year (4.00 post bac).

I shadowed the gastroenterologist for about 12 hours, and the family doc for about 4.
Your shadowing hours are very low. Get more in before you Submit again. You will get more utility out of office-based primary care than radiology. Can you get back in with the FP?

As pointed out by @WedgeDawg , 50 hours total is a good goal.

Your shadowing hours are very low. Get more in before you Submit again. You will get more utility out of office-based primary care than radiology. Can you get back in with the FP?

As pointed out by @WedgeDawg , 50 hours total is a good goal.

Thanks for your input! That's probably possible, actually. He was very friendly and really seemed to want to help me out. I'll give him a call soon.

About 50-100 shadowing hours = competitive. Definitely boost that up.

But given that you only have clinical volunteer work, I would get involved in non-clinical EC's as soon as possible. Variety will strengthen your application.