Will my BS degree help me match rad onc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosierdaddy11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
h

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say research & letters are good, but your undergrad degree isn't likely to turn too many heads. Could be wrong, I guess..

Reactions: 1 user
Depends how you interview. IMO it won't get you interviews, but during an interview it could be impressive if you highlight it correctly and demonstrates genuine and longstanding interest in the science of our field. It gives you an immediate answer to the predictable "why radiation oncology" question

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Others may disagree, but screening seems to be used simnifically less in the field of Radiation Oncology because of the smaller number of applications that PDs need to sift through. The general feeling is that it is a much more "whole picture" kind of field, which can be difficult for potential applicants who want specific numbers on things. At most of the programs I have had experience with, Step 2 was looked at only if it was significantly better or worse than the Step 1 score. Many applicants in radiation oncology still only take/publish their scores if they feel they need to make up for Step 1 scores.

Reactions: 1 user